Author Topic: A Ludicrous Ruling That Trump Can’t End DACA  (Read 7626 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: A Ludicrous Ruling That Trump Can’t End DACA
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:25 pm »
That is correct. If not the tweets, then something else. And if not Trump, had Cruz or any Republican done the same thing, tweets or no tweets it would be the same.

Good point. Every republican in my lifetime got the same treatment from the liberal left.

Does anyone seriously think if Trump backed down, humbled himself before his critics that anything would be different?

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 11:00:55 pm »
It's not arbitrary if getting rid of it restores law and order. Actually keeping it in place is dangerous to legal citizens.

This judge disagrees with you.  We’ll just have to see what the appeals courts say. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »
Does anyone seriously think if Trump backed down, humbled himself before his critics that anything would be different?

Does anyone seriously think he knows what 'humble' means?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 11:10:50 pm »
This judge disagrees with you.  We’ll just have to see what the appeals courts say.

This judge needs to be unemployed in the worst way.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:32 pm »

Do you seriously have any doubt of the final verdict in this exercise in judicial activism in the end.      Tell the truth now.     
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »

Does anyone seriously think he knows what 'humble' means?

Trump shot to the top of three different fields: real estate, entertainment, politics. What does he have to be humble about? He knows he’s good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:52 pm »
I’m not saying the ruling is correct; however, the arbitrary and capricious standard under the Administrative Procedures Act - assuming it applies - applies generally to prevent adverse actions against persons, it doesn’t apply in the abstract.   Thus, if a policy is put into place in an arbitrary way, but doesn’t negatively affect discrete individuals in a concrete manner, then the standard probably wouldn’t apply.  However, once the policy is in place, it cannot be arbitrarily and capriciously removed if the removal would have adverse consequences to one or more discrete persons.  That is the case here.

The Judge is just applying an old saw from the Soviet Secret Police.  Paraphrased here:  Show me the EO and I'll show you the arbitrary.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 11:30:24 pm »

How many times has the SCOTUS overturned this particular Judge?  Sounds like they don't agree with him either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:28 pm »
Trump shot to the top of three different fields: real estate, entertainment, politics. What does he have to be humble about?

Aside from the fact 2/3 of those things aren't true, nothing, I suppose.  Trump's best Apprentice season was nowhere near the first seasons of the other Burnett show, Survivor.  Donny wasn't the most successful developer in NYC, much less anywhere else.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 11:53:23 pm »
Well the judge made their stupid little ruling, and it should apply only to their jurisdiction, to be otherwise ignored everywhere else.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:01 am »
Trump shot to the top of three different fields: real estate, entertainment, politics. What does he have to be humble about? He knows he’s good.

He has daddy’s money to thank for that.

Oceander

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:38 am »
How many times has the SCOTUS overturned this particular Judge?  Sounds like they don't agree with him either.

Like I said: let’s wait to see what the appeals courts say.

Oceander

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 12:09:20 am »
Do you seriously have any doubt of the final verdict in this exercise in judicial activism in the end.      Tell the truth now.     

Yeah, ‘cause I doubt a lot of things. 

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 12:09:58 am »
Well the judge made their stupid little ruling, and it should apply only to their jurisdiction, to be otherwise ignored everywhere else.

In this case, that was nationwide.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:35 am »

Even doubting your own "Gut" when it comes to such things.   Come on man. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:13:57 am by Wingnut »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 12:15:57 am »

So do I.  The courts have become a crapshoot on most issues, and the most surefire way for a lawyer to look foolish is to try to guess what they'll do.  That Napolitano guy on Fox News looks like a fool on a regular basis, and he's paid to predict these things.  That's the way it looks to this non-lawyer.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:26 am »
Half of the time, these kinds of judges make idiotic rulings. The other half, IMO, they are purposely delaying the inevitable through judicial action. This is an abuse of their power and should be dealt with accordingly.

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 12:19:13 am »
Even doubting your own "Gut" when it comes to such things.   Come on man. 

Trump effed up the president’s power over immigration issues with his asinine tweets about Muslims, which I didn’t think would happen since border entry is a core executive function, but he did, the courts took the opening, and those rulings are still there.  So yeah, I think there’s a non-negligible chance that Trump screwed the pooch on this one too with his jackassed tweeting.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 12:28:35 am »
Trump effed up the president’s power over immigration issues with his asinine tweets about Muslims, which I didn’t think would happen since border entry is a core executive function, but he did, the courts took the opening, and those rulings are still there.  So yeah, I think there’s a non-negligible chance that Trump screwed the pooch on this one too with his jackassed tweeting.

Alrighty then.  I move to disqualify this juror. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 12:29:28 am »

I am of the belief California Judges would be ruling against Trump on a consistent basis even if he had never heard of Twitter.  The tweets are nothing but a pretext, this Judge would have found anther reason to overturn a policy he disagrees with.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30:03 am »
Alrighty then.  I move to disqualify this juror. 

Hopefully I’m wrong.  I’ve seen a decent bit of commentary from the usual suspects that criticizes the ruling, so there’s a chance it gets overruled. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30:38 am »
I am of the belief California Judges would be ruling against Trump on a consistent basis even if he had never heard of Twitter.  The tweets are nothing but a pretext, this Judge would have found anther reason to overturn a policy he disagrees with.

You can bet your sweet bippy on it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 12:31:52 am »

Maybe so. But the tweets are objective evidence of Trumps bias and put a strong foundation under what might have been just speculative hokum.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 12:34:56 am »
Maybe so. But the tweets are objective evidence of Trumps bias and put a strong foundation under what might have been just speculative hokum.

Now that is just a bunch of jurisprudence gibberish right there.

Offline edpc

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 12:44:12 am »

This is a lot of Hokum.....

Kamov KA-50
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:26:54 am by edpc »