Author Topic: LINE IN THE SAND: James Woods Issues Stern Warning To Trump  (Read 2518 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: LINE IN THE SAND: James Woods Issues Stern Warning To Trump
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 05:31:35 pm »
Just listened to Rush go on and on Trumpsplaining how this event wasn’t about immigration at all, but a performance to reject the premise of the Wolff book that he’s unintelligent, uninformed, and disengaged.

What a pathetic sychophant.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online corbe

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »
Actually, as I pointed out earlier, I did see it.  Just curious - did you?

I'm sure she did watch it, she posted it on TBR at least 3 times last night, unfortunately the things in that 1 hour performance that bothers us 'linguini spined' Conservatives did not seem to register in her mind at all, Earmarks, Sign Whatever, etc.....
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »
They can get in line and apply for citizenship just like everybody else.

Many can't or are already in the very backlogged wait-list.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/09/05/gq-dreamers-citizenship/

Online corbe

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 05:37:30 pm »
    Just reading the Title brought back a little History for me.

James Wood is his BASE.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:11 pm »
Conservatives cling to the mantra that they are clear-thinking, rational and right.  Yet, they prove over and over again they are snowflakes better defined by their kneejerk surrender to hyperbole and fear--- ruled by spines of linguini and consumed by the vapors. 

The opening salvo of negotiations sends conservatives into fits of incoherence --- yet again.  What an embarrassment.  **nononono*

Agree. Opening negotiations are a lot like making sausage. It’s better you don’t watch if you don’t have the stomach for it....and what is sausage without a little stomach, lips, ears, anus *bouche*

Don’t watch the posturing, wait for the process to develop. Trump’s not signing anything that does NOT contain significant concessions from Schumer/Pelosi: stepped up security–no immigration lottery–and an end to chain migration at the very least.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:35:33 pm by aligncare »

Offline edpc

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
What's embarrassing is no one making these comments has listened to the videos from yesterday ... and I posted a short one several times addressing this issue.

What's embarrassing is no one making these comments seems to even care they are wrong.

Here’s the Trump money quote from the meeting you watched - but didn’t really see, listened to - but didn’t really hear....

“I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with,” Trump said….Trump added if the group presents him with a plan he does not like he would support it anyway. “If they come to me with things I’m not in love with, I’m gonna do it. Because I respect them,” he said.

So, basically, his positions used to be conservative on immigration, but they’ll really just be whatever the bill ends up saying.  That’s a massive cave on a key position with his base.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:46:27 pm by edpc »

Online corbe

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 05:46:21 pm »
    Trump was elected on the fact that America no longer trusted their Congress to make things right and the Master Negotiator was gonna change that, Term Limits, Drain the Swamp, kick their azz and take names (defame them on twitter) yet yesterday he said in front of G_d and everybody that he would sign anything they come up with, ANYTHING and that he trusted them to do the right thing.  Something is very wrong with this picture, but being an incoherent Conservative I just can't put my finger on it/s

Offline Applewood

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »
Conservatives cling to the mantra that they are clear-thinking, rational and right.  Yet, they prove over and over again they are snowflakes better defined by their kneejerk surrender to hyperbole and fear--- ruled by spines of linguini and consumed by the vapors. 

The opening salvo of negotiations sends conservatives into fits of incoherence --- yet again.  What an embarrassment.  **nononono*

Who is embarrassed?  I'm not.  I am clear headed about this.  Trump and the Republicans are about to sell us voters and citizens down the river, but Trump supporters are totally oblivious. 

The negotiations and whatever comes out of them are "bipartisan."  In DC, "bipartisan" means one party surrenders to the other.  The surrender party is usually the Republicans. 

Voters were promised that immigration would be effectively dealt with -- there would be a wall, there would be reform, the illegals would be deprived of citizenship and sent back to their home country and the DACA program would end, etc.  The whole mess would be fixed.  Any bipartisan legislation will not fix the problems.  Republicans will most likely surrender on DACA in exchange for a few vague promises by the Democrats -- which won't be kept. That's the way it has been under 8 years of Obama, but even with Republican control of the presidency and both houses of congress, it is still that way. 

This will be the third time Trump supporters have been screwed.  We still have most of Obamacare, "tax reform" is half-assed at best, and illegal immigration will continue.  How many more lies will it take for Trump supporters to realize their hero and his new best friends in congress lied to them?  When are they going to rise up and DEMAND that their elected representatives keep their promises?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 06:04:52 pm »
Who is embarrassed?  I'm not.  I am clear headed about this.  Trump and the Republicans are about to sell us voters and citizens down the river, but Trump supporters are totally oblivious.

I'm a clear-headed Johnny come lately Trump supporter now and would not be at all surprised to see that end result but SURELY they know that if they do that it will be "read my lips- no new taxes" on steroids.  Therefore I'm just going to sit back and watch what acutally happens before I pronounce judgment.   

The negotiations and whatever comes out of them are "bipartisan."  In DC, "bipartisan" means one party surrenders to the other.  The surrender party is usually the Republicans. 

Voters were promised that immigration would be effectively dealt with -- there would be a wall, there would be reform, the illegals would be deprived of citizenship and sent back to their home country and the DACA program would end, etc.  The whole mess would be fixed.  Any bipartisan legislation will not fix the problems.  Republicans will most likely surrender on DACA in exchange for a few vague promises by the Democrats -- which won't be kept. That's the way it has been under 8 years of Obama, but even with Republican control of the presidency and both houses of congress, it is still that way. 

This will be the third time Trump supporters have been screwed.  We still have most of Obamacare, "tax reform" is half-assed at best, and illegal immigration will continue.  How many more lies will it take for Trump supporters to realize their hero and his new best friends in congress lied to them?  When are they going to rise up and DEMAND that their elected representatives keep their promises?

If Trump and the republican congress fall for the Lucy and the football thing this time they might as well close up shop and go home permanently.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 06:06:40 pm »
Trump was elected on the fact that America no longer trusted their Congress to make things right and the Master Negotiator was gonna change that, Term Limits, Drain the Swamp, kick their azz and take names....

Not to worry. No matter how bad the final product is, Trump will spew forth what a big, beautiful deal this is, how great it is, and how no one else could have made it possible.  All of the resident emetophiliacs on the site will be there to lap it up and yell for more.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 06:09:16 pm »
I'm a clear-headed Johnny come lately Trump supporter now and would not be at all surprised to see that end result but SURELY they know that if they do that it will be "read my lips- no new taxes" on steroids.  Therefore I'm just going to sit back and watch what acutally happens before I pronounce judgment.   

If Trump and the republican congress fall for the Lucy and the football thing this time they might as well close up shop and go home permanently.

Agreed..waiting to hear what you had to say....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:09 pm »
In my opinion, if they were brought here by their parents at a very young age, as this wasn’t their choice, and if since and only if since they have arrived, they have learned to speak fluent English, have graduated from HS and or have obtained a college degree, and are gainfully employed and are paying taxes and have no criminal record what so ever, I’m fine with them obtaining permanent status but only if they apply and pass for citizenship including a US history test and only if they swear allegiance to the USA, say within the next 4 years.  If they can’t meet those requirements, I would say they should be deported back to their home country.

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure my father’s mother, my grandmother didn’t come here from Norway illegally in the 1920’s.

From what I understand, just days before she gave birth to my father in 1920, her husband died in an accident. Only a few months before that, their daughter died at about 2 1/2 years old, possibly a victim of the Spanish Flu or something similar. She only about 20 years old at the time and quite feisty and independent minded, and she didn’t want to live her life under her parent’s roof as the grieving widow for the rest of her life nor be married off to a much older man as her family was trying to arrange.

So she boarded a ship to the US, but from what I understand, she used the ticket of her cousin who was going to visit relatives in the US but changed her mind, so it didn’t sound to as if this was a planned trip and was a very sudden decision on her part.  My grandmother upon arriving got work as a domestic and eventually a job as a shop clerk.

She met and married a man from her same town in Norway but they could never have met nor been married back in the old country since he was of a lower social class than she was.

After they were married and settled, some 6 years later she traveled back to Norway to retrieve my father and bring him to the US when he was about 6 or 7 years old.

My father became very Americanized and served in WWII in the SPT while not yet a naturalized citizen. He had applied at age 18 but the war delayed it and he didn’t become naturalized until after my brother was born in 1948.

ETA - I don't think my grandmother and her 2nd husband got their US citizenship until the same time or shortly after my father got his.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:19:29 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 06:53:53 pm »
Hope? I know I heard that word in the past, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

:silly:

Do you mean that little town in Arkansas, or the other half of "change"?

Either way, I suppose....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:44 pm »

Here’s the Trump money quote from the meeting you watched - but didn’t really see, listened to - but didn’t really hear....

“I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with,” Trump said….Trump added if the group presents him with a plan he does not like he would support it anyway. “If they come to me with things I’m not in love with, I’m gonna do it. Because I respect them,” he said.

So, basically, his positions used to be conservative on immigration, but they’ll really just be whatever the bill ends up saying.  That’s a massive cave on a key position with his base.

It's no cave,  indeed, it's entirely consistent with President Trump's view re the DACA.   He'd like to rescue the Dreamers but he doesn't have the unilateral authority as Chief Executive to do so.    There is to be no more un-Constitutional governance by executive order on Trump's watch.   The Congress has to be ready and willing to do its job - if the Dreamers are important to Congress, then a bill will get passed.  If not -  then Trump's hands are tied.   His obligation is to enforce the law.   

That ought to create the leverage needed for Congress to shit or get off the pot.   The compromise will be as negotiated between the parties, sufficient to get 60 votes in the Senate.    What can conservatives get in exchange for relief for the Dreamers?   Maybe something significant, maybe not.   But Trump's position is sound - Congress, give me a bill and I'll sign it.  Otherwise,  I'll do my job to enforce the law. 

The immigration issue is far more complex and significant than the very minor problem of 800,000 Dreamers.  The Dems are out on a limb re the Dreamers, not the GOP.   It was their President - Obama - who made promises he didn't have the Constitutional authority to keep.       
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:00:35 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 07:04:07 pm »
Agreed..waiting to hear what you had to say....

@mystery-ak

When we decide to get serious we can just adopt Mexico's immigration laws as our own and be done with it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:51 pm »
It's no cave,  indeed, it's entirely consistent with President Trump's view re the DACA.

Which one - the view where he'd rescind/deport immediately, give Congress 6 months, or come up with a solution and sign something/anything that's a bill of love?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:38:16 pm by edpc »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 07:35:04 pm »
   I'm sure she did watch it, she posted it on TBR at least 3 times last night, unfortunately the things in that 1 hour performance that bothers us 'linguini spined' Conservatives did not seem to register in her mind at all, Earmarks, Sign Whatever, etc.....

For the record, I did not refer to YOU as a linguine spined and incoherent thinker.   But, I assume you know that saying about the shoe fitting.   :laugh:

@corbe

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
Read my post again:  "Certainly not one of the linguini spined, incoherent crowd @Sanguine  ---- and proudly so."  and give yourself some time to understand why yours is too clever by half before you attempt another smack down.

Ah, Rightie, sometimes some people don't even realize that they just got smacked.  They just can't figure why they always seem to be picking themselves up and dusting off.  Keep trying - you'll get there eventually.

And, why do you call yourself "Right in Virginia" when you don't identify with conservatives? 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:07 pm »
:silly:

Do you mean that little town in Arkansas, or the other half of "change"?

Either way, I suppose....

I've spent a night in Hope...you can cross it off your bucket list, if you have one.   :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 08:43:38 pm »
I've spent a night in Hope...you can cross it off your bucket list, if you have one.   :rolling:

I did stop and get gas there once on the way to somewhere (Memphis, If I remember correctly).
I kept that receipt for a while.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 09:12:07 pm »

And, why do you call yourself "Right in Virginia" when you don't identify with conservatives?

But I DO identify with conservatives ...  in fact, I am one.   I'm a proud member of the thinking, rational, strategic Conservative wing .   ^-^

@Sanguine

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:38 pm »
Well, Woods is right.  But already I see Trump supporters offering excuses  such as "this is the best deal we can get." 

Trump and the Republicans sell out, but there will still be some who will excuse their behavior.  And my guess is there will be plenty of them who will still vote Republican in 2018 and 2020.

I saw it coming when they immediately started making excuses way back in the early days of the primaries when Trump came out in support of the renewable fuels mandate and ethanol. It hasn't stopped since.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 01:06:55 am »
But I DO identify with conservatives ...  in fact, I am one.   I'm a proud member of the thinking, rational, strategic Conservative wing .   ^-^

@Sanguine

Pragmatic conservatism -  what a concept!

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide