Author Topic: ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S BODY EXHUMED AND VIEWED IN 1901  (Read 1050 times)

rangerrebew

ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S BODY EXHUMED AND VIEWED IN 1901
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:20:21 pm »
ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S BODY EXHUMED AND VIEWED IN 1901
23 People Viewed the Remains and Identified Them as Mr. Lincoln's

In 1900 the Lincoln Tomb located in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, Illinois, was in need of repair and underwent a reconstruction. Construction of the present tomb took 15 months, and during that time Mr. Lincoln's coffin was in a temporary grave a few feet away. The photograph to the left shows the temporary grave after being opened, and the pine box holding Mr. Lincoln's coffin is clearly visible. In May 1901 Robert Lincoln visited the tomb and decided things needed to be changed again. In 1876 thieves had failed in an attempt to steal Mr. Lincoln's corpse and hold it for ransom. Robert didn't want a repeat of that possibility. This time the coffin would be buried in a huge cage ten feet deep and then encased in concrete. In the photograph below, Mr. Lincoln's coffin is in the center. The outer pine box that had been broken away lies to the right of the coffin. Many of the men removed their hats out of respect.

Both the cage and the coffin would be hardened forever in a solid block of rock. Robert's idea for this had come from the burial procedure employed for George M. Pullman (inventor of the Pullman sleeping car).

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln13.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S BODY EXHUMED AND VIEWED IN 1901
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:26:11 pm »
I was born close to the time that a witness to Lincoln's assassination died. I found that really cool.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:59 pm »
Abe Lincoln. He wasn't perfect, but he's still one of the greats!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:30 pm »
President Lincoln had been embalmed so many times on his trip to Springfield, that he was totally recognizable after all those years.

I remember reading the quotes from the young boy who got to see the body and "slept with Mr. Lincoln" for months afterward.

The Lincoln tomb in Springfield is a fascinating place to visit.  You can see the various spots where he was buried temporarily and read the story about how he was finally entombed in a thief-proof place.

The Lincoln Highway goes right through the city where I now live, and I am proud to be part of the story (even though my ancestors were all still in Sweden at the time).

As much as a few around here hate him, Abraham Lincoln was a remarkable man, and a leader for the ages.

@mystery-ak
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:08 pm »
I was born close to the time that a witness to Lincoln's assassination died. I found that really cool.

I was born close to the time when pancakes were not just for breakfast anymore. I didn't find that exceptionally cool.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:21:41 pm »
President Lincoln had been embalmed so many times on his trip to Springfield, that he was totally recognizable after all those years.

I remember reading the quotes from the young boy who got to see the body and "slept with Mr. Lincoln" for months afterward.

The Lincoln tomb in Springfield is a fascinating place to visit.  You can see the various spots where he was buried temporarily and read the story about how he was finally entombed in a thief-proof place.

The Lincoln Highway goes right through the city where I now live, and I am proud to be part of the story (even though my ancestors were all still in Sweden at the time).

As much as a few around here hate him, Abraham Lincoln was a remarkable man, and a leader for the ages.

@mystery-ak

I have been to his tomb and house many times..I am sorry to say I haven't been to the new museum which I hear is fantastic.
@musiclady
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:04:01 pm »

@mystery-ak

When I was a boy, I had the chance to stop at the cemetery when we were travelling through there, and we also went to his Springfield home, and New Haven.
Very memorable, indeed.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:08 pm »
I have been to his tomb and house many times..I am sorry to say I haven't been to the new museum which I hear is fantastic.
@musiclady

Maybe next time we swing north on our trip from St. Louis, we can go to the new museum together, and then to that awesome coney dog place (the Cozy Dog??) on Rte 66! 

We could double date!   :laugh:

@mystery-ak

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
When I was a boy, I had the chance to stop at the cemetery when we were travelling through there, and we also went to his Springfield home, and New Haven.
Very memorable, indeed.

We got to the home too.  A lot of remarkable history took place there.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:19:24 pm »
Maybe next time we swing north on our trip from St. Louis, we can go to the new museum together, and then to that awesome coney dog place (the Cozy Dog??) on Rte 66! 

We could double date!   :laugh:

@mystery-ak

Hmmm...don't know where the coney dog place is...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:25 pm »
Hmmm...don't know where the coney dog place is...

Not far from the homestead IIRC.   We found it online.  It's the first place to put corn dogs on a stick, so we thought we'd add it to our history tour.  :laugh:

2935 South Sixth Street...

It's COZY!   :laugh:

@mystery-ak
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:08:43 pm by musiclady »