Author Topic: People Have Been Saying “Ax” Instead of “Ask” for 1,200 Years  (Read 795 times)

Offline Suppressed

People Have Been Saying “Ax” Instead of “Ask” for 1,200 Years
“Ax” for “ask” isn’t wrong, it’s just different

Geoffrey Chaucer, the “Father of English Literature,” said “ax.” (UK Government Art Collection, artist unknown)

By Colin Schultz
smithsonian.com
February 6, 2014

[...]

“The people who use the ax pronunciation are using the pronunciation that has been handed down, in an unbroken form, for a thousand years,” says Jesse Shiedlower from the American Dialect Society to NPR.

“It is not a new thing; it is not a mistake,” he says. “It is a regular feature of English.”

Sheidlower says you can trace “ax” back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb “acsian.” Chaucer used “ax.” It’s in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): ” ‘Axe and it shall be given.’

As we’ve explored previously, the English accent that dominated at the time of Shakespeare have largely disappeared, along with the pronunciations in which the bard’s tales were meant to be read. The changes in pitch and stress that come to define modern accents have broken some of Shakespeare’s puns, and left his jokes without a punchline.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That being the case he must have found the same for "Dindu" and "nuffin" back 1000 years.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
That being the case he must have found the same for "Dindu" and "nuffin" back 1000 years.

LMAO!  :laugh:
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
People Have Been Saying “Ax” Instead of “Ask” for 1,200 Years
“Ax” for “ask” isn’t wrong, it’s just different

Geoffrey Chaucer, the “Father of English Literature,” said “ax.” (UK Government Art Collection, artist unknown)

By Colin Schultz
smithsonian.com
February 6, 2014

[...]

“The people who use the ax pronunciation are using the pronunciation that has been handed down, in an unbroken form, for a thousand years,” says Jesse Shiedlower from the American Dialect Society to NPR.

As we’ve explored previously, the English accent that dominated at the time of Shakespeare have largely disappeared, along with the pronunciations in which the bard’s tales were meant to be read. The changes in pitch and stress that come to define modern accents have broken some of Shakespeare’s puns, and left his jokes without a punchline.

[...]
Thomas Bowdler's efforts removed many of the jokes from Shakespeare, and often only the more obscure puns may remain. (Thereby hangs a tail...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn