Author Topic: M27s And ‘Head-To-Toe’ Gear Overhaul On the Way For Marine Grunts  (Read 977 times)

rangerrebew

M27s And ‘Head-To-Toe’ Gear Overhaul On the Way For Marine Grunts
By Hope Hodge Seck, Military.com
on January 6, 2018

Editor’s Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.

After more than a year of speculation, the word comes straight from the commandant of the Marine Corps: Grunts, including those outside the squad, are getting the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle — and a whole lot of other goodies to boot.

http://taskandpurpose.com/m27s-head-toe-gear-overhaul-way-marine-infantrymen/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am opposed to ALL that crap. One thing I have long admired about the USMC was their sincere commitment to teaching grunts to hit what they shoot at,while the US Army went to "spray and pray" without even pretending they placed any importance on accuracy.

AND....,speaking as someone who has had to suffer through teaching people unfamiliar at all with weapons how to SAFELY carry and shoot automatic weapons,I can tell you it is a freaking nightmare. There is something about a "full auto/machine gun fire" switch on a rifle that seems to lower the IQ of a typical soldier who has never been in combat by at least 50 percent. One thing you can bet everything you own on is that there WILL be a full-auto accidental discharge in each class,either from some dweeb thinking he was the re-incarnation of Rambo carrying his rifle with the fire selector on full-auto,or from someone THINKING he had the switch set at semi-auto,and losing control when he pulled the trigger and emptied the magazine.

The USMC was acting wisely by limiting full-auto weapons to one man per squad,and then empathizing accurate single fire shots by the rest of the squad. Don't forget,the USMC is designed to be purely an assault force,and the first waves hitting the battlefield are carrying all the ammo they have with them,and hoping they can get a ammo re-supply before they shoot it all up.

I am also STRONGLY opposed to this new H&K "Wonder rifle".  I know the US Miliary is and has been looking for a round better suited for the wide open distance missions they are running now. The old 5.56 M-16 round was fine for jungle warfare where you were within 50 feet of the enemy almost all the time,but is lacking when it comes to fighting wind and hitting hard at long distances common to today's firefights. They need a "new" battle rifle because they desperately need a new rifle round that will shoot heavier bullets that will be lethal out to much longer distances and resist wind-buffeting that creates inaccuracy while doing so.

I have the solution to that problem too,and it does NOT cost the taxpayer and the military budget hundreds of millions dollars to design a new rifle or adapt a current design to fire a new military rifle round. All they have to do is make a phone call and place a order.

Can you say "FN-FAL in 7x57 mm"? The rifle has been around since the 1950's,and was the main battle rifle for the majority of the world's armies. The 7x57 mm rifle round has been a military rifle round for main battle rifles since the late 1800's. The Germans,for one,used it in the chambers of their battle rifles and machine guns in both WW-1 and WW-2,with some overlap of the 8x57 mm round.

As for the FN-FAL itself,you can buy it from FN in either semi-auto or full-auto mode right out of their catalogue,and it's as reliable as any semi-auto rifle that has ever been issued to any army. They even have an adjustable gas system so you can custom-tune it's action to whatever round you happen to be firing through it. No,the typical riflelman should NOT be allowed or encouraged to do this,but it's not rocket science,and there is no reason the automatic weapons guy from each squad can't be taught the how's and why's and be able to adjust all the rifles in his squad if they happen to end up with a issue of ammo hotter,milder,or with a lighter or heavier bullet. Or you can just use it "as issued" and it will function well with all of them,but have noticeably more recoil shooting the hotter 7x57 loads with heavier bullets.

Why re-invent the wheel and spend up to billions doing it before the dust settles when you can pick up the phone and just call FN and order them by the shipload?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:16:19 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I'm a fan of the 7x57. I had 3, but I rebarreled my Remington Rolling Block #5 to 45-70. My other 2 7x57s are a 98 Mauser and a 95 Mauser. I rebarreled my 95 Mauser with a 7x57 Madsen machine gun barrel. The tightest groups I've ever shot were with that gun. My 98, I rebarreled with a skinnier barrel that doesn't group near as tight.

The FN-FAL is a good choice. My son has one, but in .308. Its one nice rifle.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm a fan of the 7x57. I had 3, but I rebarreled my Remington Rolling Block #5 to 45-70. My other 2 7x57s are a 98 Mauser and a 95 Mauser. I rebarreled my 95 Mauser with a 7x57 Madsen machine gun barrel. The tightest groups I've ever shot were with that gun. My 98, I rebarreled with a skinnier barrel that doesn't group near as tight.

The FN-FAL is a good choice. My son has one, but in .308. Its one nice rifle.

@Elderberry

IMNSHO,it is the PERFECT battle rifle for a battlefield where long shots are common,and long,heaving bullets with a quick barrel twist are necessary to fight wind gusts and hit with enough force to be incapacitating,if not fatal.

The ONLY drawback in IMNSHO a minor one,namely the weight. Whymen Rangers would have a tough time carrying a FN-FAL and basic load of 7x57 ammo. Then again,women and weak males have no business even being accepted for training in Ranger School,never mind being assigned to a Ranger line company.

That doesn't negate the major FACT that it is one of the finest,and maybe even THE finest selective fire main battle rifle ever adopted by any nation's military,and that adopting it would save the US Treasury and taxpayers billions of dollars that wouldn't have to be spent creating a new rifle and caliber,running it past several advisory boards for trials,and then tooling up and buying X thousands of them over a decade or more.

All ya gotta do to adopt the FN-FAL is make a phone call,and I wouldn't be afraid to bet money that if the FN factory in Belgium received a collect call from the US Pentagram about buying some rifles,they would even accept the collect call.

Done deal TODAY,and everyone can then move on to other issues. The basics of humans physiology and battlefield needs/requirements in the mountains of Afghanistan,etc,etc,etc hasn't changed since the days of Alexander the Great,and since there is already a proven tool already in production VERY well suited for those purposes,why keep re-inventing the wheel and wasting money and time doing it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:05:11 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Elderberry

BTW,when you rebarreled the 98,did you use a military barrel with the "Steps" in it,or a tapered barrel? Unless you are using something like an air-gauged match barrel,the old military issue "step" barrels tend to be more accurate than "Base" commercial barrels because the "Steps" reduce the vibrations as the bullet goes down the bore,and keep the muzzle from "whipping". No big deal at 100 yards,but when trying to hit targets the size of a human head out past 500 yard,muzzle whip is a VERY big deal unless the barrel is free-floated and specific loads and bullets are worked up that "play well" with that barrel. Sometimes just cutting off a inch at a time from the muzzle and re-crowning it can make a difference.

You still need to free-float the barrel or glass bed it after embedding steel rods in the stock to keep it from warping from humidity and heat changes,though. Glass bedding is plenty good for most hunting/sporting rifles that generally won't fire enough rounds at any one time to really get hot,but free-floating barrels are essential on sniper rifles.

I didn't really understand just how anal I am until I went to gunsmith school and started studying ballistics.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It was a  light economy Ebay special. I glass bedded it into a composite stock. I cut the chambers of both the 95 and 98 at the same time trying to make them as close to identical as I could. It would shoot around 1inch 100yd groups with most ammo.

I haven't shot my 7s in a long time. I have a Rem700SA I rebarreled to 6.5x47Lapua. That's my primary hunting weapon.

My son recently built an 6.5Grendel AR for me. I've only gone shooting it once, with factory ammo. My best group @100yds was around .57in. I look forward to finding a load that it likes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

My son recently built an 6.5Grendel AR for me. I've only gone shooting it once, with factory ammo. My best group @100yds was around .57in. I look forward to finding a load that it likes.

@Elderberry

I'd take a .57 inch group from an AR base and run around screaming with joy about it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:27:21 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@sneakypete

I was just not comfortable shooting it. It has a 2 stage trigger. I haven't had a 2 stage trigger rifle in a whole lotta years. I just need to shoot it until it becomes second nature to me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:53:48 pm by Elderberry »