Author Topic: In one big week, Trump delivers for conservatives  (Read 678 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In one big week, Trump delivers for conservatives
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:53:45 pm »
In one big week, Trump delivers for conservatives
Politico, Jan 5, 2018, DANNY VINIK

President Donald Trump’s first week of 2018 was a big policy gift to his conservative base, wrapped with a bow.

Most of Trump’s administration has been defined by the huge gulf between its political theatrics and its real-world impact—a reality-show White House that occupies the headlines without really driving policy, while a serious but less-heralded conservative agenda marches forward behind the scenes at federal agencies.

Not this week. With three huge moves—tightening up marijuana law, opening new waters for oil-and-gas drilling, suspending aid to Pakistan—Trump handed big victories to red-meat conservatives, the kind of wins that GOP voters might have expected from far more conventional candidates.

More: https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2018/01/05/trump-policy-marijuana-energy-pakistan-000606

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:04:46 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: In one big week, Trump delivers for conservatives
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:56:12 pm »
This quote is worth the price of admission:

...a reality-show White House that occupies the headlines without really driving policy, while a serious but less-heralded conservative agenda marches forward behind the scenes at federal agencies.

Mr. Vinik is stumblingly onto the truth.   ^-^

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:06:30 pm »
I'm hoping that Trump had nothing to do with the idiotic move by Sessions on pot laws.

We've been down that road before. 

Pot is not a danger and should be made totally legal everywhere.

On the drilling and Pakistan, good work.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 07:43:32 pm »
I'm hoping that Trump had nothing to do with the idiotic move by Sessions on pot laws.

While not a proponent of willynilly distribution of drugs, and I think saying pot is not a danger is an over simplification, (relax, remember opinions are like **sholes, everybody has one) I do believe that the legalizing of it is a state issue and should be left to the states voters to approve or disapprove its legalization. I don't believe it will really cut down on crime because there will always be an underground market and involvement by gangs. Plus not every user has a job to fund their purchases, there will always be those that steal to fund their hobby.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:22:34 am »
Pot on the engine caused this in January 1987.
I was at Penn Station waiting for a return train that never arrived (the one behind this one)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:23:20 am by Fishrrman »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:26 am »

:amen:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:39:38 am »
While not a proponent of willynilly distribution of drugs, and I think saying pot is not a danger is an over simplification, (relax, remember opinions are like **sholes, everybody has one) I do believe that the legalizing of it is a state issue and should be left to the states voters to approve or disapprove its legalization. I don't believe it will really cut down on crime because there will always be an underground market and involvement by gangs. Plus not every user has a job to fund their purchases, there will always be those that steal to fund their hobby.

Of course it should be left up to the states ... but the FEDS have already intervened and Sessions isn't helping. This may very well be an issue in 2018 & 2020.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:36:30 am »
Pot on the engine caused this in January 1987.
I was at Penn Station waiting for a return train that never arrived (the one behind this one)

[imghttp://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/36/32/36/7972744/3/920x920.jpg[/img]http://[imghttp://image.baltimoremagazine.com/Amtrak-crash-vertical.jpg[/img]

Pot... obviously.  *****rollingeyes*****
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass