Author Topic: GM nightmare unfolds: Humans have created a MONSTER MOSQUITO that can now RESIST the pesticides mea  (Read 2054 times)

rangerrebew

GM nightmare unfolds: Humans have created a MONSTER MOSQUITO that can now RESIST the pesticides meant to kill them

Saturday, January 06, 2018 by: Isabelle Z.   

(Natural News) Getting bit by mosquitoes is never fun, and it can be downright deadly if they happen to be carrying diseases like malaria. Mankind’s quest to keep this nuisance under control, however well-meaning it may be, appears to have had the opposite of its intended effect as a new study shows how mosquitoes have evolved a type of genetic shield to protect themselves from chemical pesticides.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-01-06-gm-nightmare-humans-created-monster-mosquito-resist-pesticides.html

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Come at me bro.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Three words.

DDT

Bring it back.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Not possible. They may be resistant to some but not all
Countdown to Resignation

Oceander

Why is this a “GM nightmare”?  This is natural selection in action, not genetic modification in the sense that term is usually used, namely, human insertion of gene sequences into an organisms genome. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Why is this a “GM nightmare”?  This is natural selection in action, not genetic modification in the sense that term is usually used, namely, human insertion of gene sequences into an organisms genome.

Because Natural News is a crackpot site that hopes you only read the title.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

888high58888
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

Three words.

DDT

Bring it back.

It never left.
In fact, it's continued use in agricultural (in places like India) is part of why we see this problem.

Fortunately, places that restricted it's use to mosquito control, like the US, don't have as many problems.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

It never left.
In fact, it's continued use in agricultural (in places like India) is part of why we see this problem.

Fortunately, places that restricted it's use to mosquito control, like the US, don't have as many problems.

Yep. There is nothing magic about DDT. Its just another chemical compound that mosquitoes can build up a resistance to. Its why we wisely avoid feeding antibiotics to industrially grown poultry in this country.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Here in Florida we've started to see a giant mosquito.   It's about 1 1/2 inches wide.   Sounds like an airplane coming at you.

Neighbor got bit.   He said it felt like a knife.  It raised a welt about the size of a golf ball.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

Here in Florida we've started to see a giant mosquito.   It's about 1 1/2 inches wide.   Sounds like an airplane coming at you.

Neighbor got bit.   He said it felt like a knife.  It raised a welt about the size of a golf ball.

Do they look like this?

Offline RoosGirl

PS

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/10/monster-mosquitoes-emerge-in-central-florida/

Apparently they're a Florida native mosquito species, as opposed to those tiger striped species we've seen the last several years from Asia, and don't carry disease that humans can catch.  So the bite may hurt a bit, but you don't have to worry about any of the crazy viruses that the other ones carry.

Offline Suppressed

Yep. There is nothing magic about DDT. Its just another chemical compound that mosquitoes can build up a resistance to. Its why we wisely avoid feeding antibiotics to industrially grown poultry in this country.

:beer:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
If you nail them with pyrethrins, they will die. It's just that it is almost solely a contact killer. The half-life is measured in a few hours.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Do they look like this?

The best defense is a good offense.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

GM nightmare unfolds:

They decided to bring the Phoenix back?

Offline dfwgator

Offline thackney

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
GM nightmare unfolds:

OK, you win the internet for the day!!!

:rolling:
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline thackney

GM nightmare unfolds:

I would have gone with the Pontiac Aztek.

Offline Frank Cannon

The Aztek was ugly, but was a mechanically sound vehicle and you could fit a lot of stuff in them. There are a lot of them still on the road as well. X platform based cars, not so much.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I almost got one of those because I knew it would be safe parked in a high-crime neighborhood. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

The Aztek was ugly, but was a mechanically sound vehicle and you could fit a lot of stuff in them. There are a lot of them still on the road as well. X platform based cars, not so much.

Edmunds said it best when it made the #1 spot on their 100 Worst Cars of All Time:

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek: Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/100-worst-cars-of-all-time.html

Offline Frank Cannon

Edmunds said it best when it made the #1 spot on their 100 Worst Cars of All Time:

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek: Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/100-worst-cars-of-all-time.html

All the bitching about that car was the styling. It had a bulletproof 3400 in it and all the other tried and true drive train and suspension components in the GM toolbox. No one ever bitches about Buick Rendezvous, but they were the identical car with different sheet metal.