Author Topic: Severe flu brings medicine shortages, packed ERs and a rising death toll in California  (Read 636 times)

rangerrebew

Severe flu brings medicine shortages, packed ERs and a rising death toll in California

By Soumya Karlamangla
Jan 06, 2018 | 10:10 AM

So many people have fallen sick with influenza in California that pharmacies have run out of flu medicines, emergency rooms are packed, and the death toll is rising higher than in previous years.

Health officials said Friday that 27 people younger than 65 have died of the flu in California since October, compared with three at the same time last year. Nationwide and in California, flu activity spiked sharply in late December and continues to grow.

http://beta.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-flu-surge-20180106-htmlstory.html#nt=tertiarynavbar
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:14:28 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Looks like California is a Sanctuary State for the Flu. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
emergency rooms are packed

Medicaid Expansion is working
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew
@mystery-ak

As of yesterday, 13 have died in Texas.  Ages range from 30s to 90s.

Two days ago there were 7 dead, so the number is rising quickly.

I had this and it took four weeks to get over it.  Had complete laryngitis for over a week, then talked in a whisper for another week.  Continual coughing so not much sleep due to coughing for those weeks.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I heard about this one fellow who actually had to go into the hospital with strep throat today. 

You know, if the flu is actually killing some people, there are others who it is making very sick.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Moonbeam said that Cali was such a civilized and forward thinking place to be. This story makes it sound like Honduras.

Cali is and always will be a shithole.