Author Topic: Trump backs Sen. Paul's plan to fund infrastructure projects with suspended aid to Pakistan  (Read 363 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says he plans to introduce a bill to fund domestic infrastructure projects using suspended foreign aid to Pakistan.  (Associated Press)

President Donald Trump on Friday evening issued support for U.S. Sen. Rand Paul's proposal to fund infrastructure projects in the U.S. with foreign aid halted from going to Pakistan.

"Good idea Rand!" came the president's response.

In a tweet Thursday, Rand, a Kentucky Republican, said he planned to introduce his proposal soon.

"My bill will take the money that would have gone to Pakistan and put it in an infrastructure fund to build roads and bridges here at home," the senator tweeted.

On Thursday, the U.S. announced plans to end up to $2 billion in security assistance to Pakistan. The reasoning: The U.S. State Department contended that Pakistan had failed to take "decisive action" against Taliban militants targeting U.S. personnel in neighboring Afghanistan.

The figure represents about $1 billion in planned military assistance, including $255 million that was placed on hold in August, and about $900 million in Coalition Support Funds intended to reimburse Pakistan for counterterrorism operations.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/06/trump-backs-sen-pauls-plan-to-fund-infrastructure-projects-with-suspended-aid-to-pakistan.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:01:16 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't have any problems with the administration and Congress funding infrastructure improvements -- so long as the projects are necessary and actually would constitute "an improvement" over what was replaced.

Mr. Trump has overseen such work before.
The Wollman Rink reconstruction in Central Park comes to mind. It was a disaster under control of the City of New York. Then I believe Trump stepped in with an offer to take it over and get it done. He did so, and saved a good deal of money in the process. (I welcome correction from others if I have this wrong).