Author Topic: Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Suppressed

Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:53 pm »
Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010
US news  · 5 hours ago 
https://twitter.com/i/moments/949288319980134405

A total of 2.06 million jobs were added for all of 2017, with 148,000 new jobs created in December.

Fox News Research‏Verified account
@FoxNewsResearch 

Average Monthly #Job Gains
-by year

•2017: 171,000
•2016: 187,000
•2015: 226,000
•2014: 250,000
•2013: 192,000
•2012: 179,000
•2011: 174,000
•2010:  88,000

#JobsReport

5:54 AM - 5 Jan 2018
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Re: Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
What is it compared to the last decade if government jobs are removed from the numbers?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:34 pm »
U.S. economy added 2 million jobs in 2017
CNN Money, Jan 5, 2017, Patrick Gillespie

The job market may be the only thing hotter than the stock market.

More:  http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/05/news/economy/december-2017-jobs-report/index.html

US private sector added 250,000 jobs in Dec, vs estimate of 190,000: ADP
CNBC, Jan 4, 2017, Jeff Cox

•Private sector job creation surged in December as a strong holiday shopping season pushed companies to hire more workers, ADP and Moody's Analytics says.
•Companies hired 250,000 new workers to close out the year, well above Wall Street expectations of 190,000, it says.
•The month was the best for job creation since March.

The total brought 2017's private payroll growth as gauged by ADP and Moody's to 2.54 million, an average of 212,000 a month. ....

The report helped send the Dow to break the 25,000 mark for the first time.

More:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/us-private-sector-added-250000-jobs-in-dec-vs-estimate-of-190000-adp.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
Black unemployment rate falls to record low
CNBC, Jan 5, 2017, Liz Moyer

•The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports 6.8 percent unemployment rate for black workers in December, the lowest in the 45 years the data has been tracked.
•Unemployment overall was 4.1 percent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-unemployment-rate-falls-to-record-low.html

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:52 pm »
U.S. economy added 2 million jobs in 2017

U.S. economy added 3 million jobs in 2014
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 01:16:35 am »
2 million new jobs.

2.3 million new people.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:09 am »
What is it compared to the last decade if government jobs are removed from the numbers?

It would be Minus 1. Supressed would be out of a job.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:20:52 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:53 am »

Uh, no.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:15:10 am »
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/federal-government-cut-16000-jobs-2017

Yup.
Give him that 16,000 drop-in-the-bucket, and he's still blown away by Obama.

But there are some who are cultists, and reality just can't be allowed to interfere with their false narrative.
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »
Yup.

But there are some who are cultists, and reality just can't be allowed to interfere with their false narrative.

Yup. So called "conservatives" are busy promoting fantasies to protect their god king from reality. I see they're also making the laughable claim that regulations are now at 1970 levels

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »
There's an obvious sine wave to the economy and we're probably rounding the crest as we speak.

I think with some exceptions, the economy runs itself regardless of who is in charge or President.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 01:43:40 pm »
Yup.

How many of the Obama era jobs were government or government contractors?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 02:12:43 pm »
There's an obvious sine wave to the economy and we're probably rounding the crest as we speak.

I think with some exceptions, the economy runs itself regardless of who is in charge or President.

Here in Michigan there has been growth despite Obama that has now become considerable growth primarily in the tech sector. Much of the growth came about because the state government simply ignored Obama. Governor Snyder has outright brushed Obama aside on multiple occasions. Snyder's relationship with Trump isn't much better but we don't care, we've been getting things done without the White House for several years now.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 03:11:50 pm »

True to a large extent, but some presidents, some Marxist-inclined presidents that is  (ahem), can stall an economy or prevent as much growth as there might be. 
But fortunately the American economy is big and strong enough to thwart the efforts of nutty politicans from either camp.
Nevertheless, I doubt the stock market would be taking off like it is if Hillary were installed with her own quasi-Marxist economic recipes.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 01:02:53 am »
Yup.

Bull $#!T
Under your god Obama, a poor b@$+urd who had to go out and get a second part time job because his full time job became part time ... well that counted as 'creating' two jobs!

Same with the ... Obama deported more Illegals B.S.

Deporting the same Illegal as he walked back across the border 5 or 10 times becomes: Obama deports 5 or 10 Illegals!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:49 am »

That’s also true with some things you wouldn’t consider.  As terrible as Carter was, especially on matters of national security, many systems like the M1 Abrams, F-15, F-16, and F-18 were developed or brought into service during his time in office.  Even the Have Blue project, which eventually became the F-117, had its first flight in 1977.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 04:14:24 am »
U.S. economy added 3 million jobs in 2014

Part time jobs.

Part-time jobs put millions in poverty or close to it

by Patrick Gillespie   @CNNMoney November 20, 2014: 7:11 AM ET

Overall U.S. unemployment has fallen steeply in the past year (from 7.2% in October 2013 to 5.8% in October 2014), but too many people can only find part-time positions.

The number of people working part-time involuntarily is more than 50% higher than when the recession began.

There was a similar spike in part-time workers in prior recessions, but it dropped quickly. That's not happening this time around. In fact, some states have seen an increase during the recovery in people languishing in part-time jobs who want something more.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/america-part-time-jobs-poverty/index.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 04:16:50 am »

Contrast that with the Dem talking points you are peddling.  They were lies in 2014.  And they are still lies today.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:21:27 am »

LOL. Right on.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 04:44:29 am »
Part time jobs.

Part-time jobs put millions in poverty or close to it

Yes, they skyrocketed under GWB, then gently declined through Obama's 8 years.  See the graph/data here:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/mobile/number-of-people-working-part-time-for-economic-reasons-falls-in-june-2016.htm

Obama was a slug, but the numbers are the numbers, even if they are uncomfortable.
+++++++++

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 05:04:54 am »
Yes, they skyrocketed under GWB, then gently declined through Obama's 8 years.  See the graph/data here:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/mobile/number-of-people-working-part-time-for-economic-reasons-falls-in-june-2016.htm

Your chart shows the number to be below 5 million until Democrats took control of both houses of Congress.  Not sure what that has to do with Bush.  But hey, I don't expect Obama supporters to understand actual causal reasoning.  Instead, I get the same post hoc garbage liberals have been using for decades.

But since you want to focus on Obama here, let's take a closer look at YOUR stats:

Jan 2009 - Part time employment = 26.9 million
Jan 2015 - Part time employment = 26.6 million

Is that what you call 'gentle decline'? 

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 05:15:35 am »
Your chart shows the number to be below 5 million until Democrats took control of both houses of Congress.  Not sure what that has to do with Bush.  But hey, I don't expect Obama supporters to understand actual causal reasoning.  Instead, I get the same post hoc garbage liberals have been using for decades.

But since you want to focus on Obama here, let's take a closer look at YOUR stats:

Jan 2009 - Part time employment = 26.9 million
Jan 2015 - Part time employment = 26.6 million

Is that what you call 'gentle decline'?

You're dense, if you're talking about Obama supporters".  No wonder the numbers go over your head.

The line to look at is the part-time employment for economic reasons...that is, those who can't find full-time work.  It was 4.3 million at the beginning of 2006. By the time Bush left office, it was up to more than 8 million!

By 2016, it was back down to about 6 million...a quarter less than when Obama took office.

Maybe you're not dense...maybe you just hate American workers, and applaud them being forced into part-time jobs.
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:56:26 pm »
You're dense, if you're talking about Obama supporters".  No wonder the numbers go over your head.

The line to look at is the part-time employment for economic reasons...that is, those who can't find full-time work.  It was 4.3 million at the beginning of 2006. By the time Bush left office, it was up to more than 8 million!

By 2016, it was back down to about 6 million...a quarter less than when Obama took office.

Maybe you're not dense...maybe you just hate American workers, and applaud them being forced into part-time jobs.

So far my longest 2 week pay period has been 75.75 hours. I love my job despite the low pay and the fact that I'm contracted and the job could be gone in 6 months because someone put in a better bid. It is a good incentive for me to go above and beyond to keep the contract but my employer still sees me as an easily replaced dime a dozen commodity.

Its one of my complaints about the work world today. Too many jobs are now hired out to low paying contractors. I work for a for profit hospital/health care company that is the largest employer in the county yet more than half of the employees are part time. Basically anything below an RN is part time and you have a situation where 30 to 40 percent of the employees earn $80k and up while 60 to 70 percent earn between $15k and $30k. Its also a lot of us who have been forced to Obamacare because our employers don't cover us. (kinda funny that most of the employees of the hospital where I work must go to surrounding counties for health care)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:57:42 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 01:44:11 pm »
How many of the Obama era jobs were government or government contractors?
Or simply part-timers or low paid workers vs skilled higher paid workers?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington