Author Topic: America's oceans are open for oil drilling! But why not Lake Michigan?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline thackney

America's oceans are open for oil drilling! But why not Lake Michigan?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-met-offshore-drilling-ban-trump-huppke-20180105-story.html

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said in a statement Thursday he plans to open 90 percent of America’s outer continental shelf to exploration and development, which will help with “powering America and achieving American Energy Dominance.”

As expected, a bunch of hippy-flippy crustacean cuddlers — along with a number of Democratic and Republican governors who are presumably in the pocket of Big Dolphin — pitched a fit over this plan, which would do away with Obama administration restrictions that were put in place after BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil spill seven years ago. (It was nothing tens of billions of dollars and the acceptance of a 60 percent reduction in dolphin reproduction rates couldn’t take care of.)

Those plankton panderers worry that offshore drilling around Alaska and in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans and the Gulf of Mexico might cause environmental damage to sea life and shoreline ecosystems, just because massive, oily drilling apparatuses would be plunked down among sea life near shoreline ecosystems. How ridiculous.

Diane Hoskins, campaign director for a marine conservation group called Oceana, which is “Ocean” spelled wrong, told the Associated Press: “Americans have seen the devastation that comes from offshore drilling. Will we allow Florida's white beaches or the popular and pristine Outer Banks to share a similar fate?”...

...A 2005 U.S. Geological Survey of the American portion of the Great Lakes found that beneath all that water there are 312 million barrels of oil and 5.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Yet there’s nothing in the Interior Department’s plan to undo the current ban on oil and gas drilling in the Great Lakes....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: America's oceans are open for oil drilling! But why not Lake Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:50 am »
America's oceans are open for oil drilling! But why not Lake Michigan?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-met-offshore-drilling-ban-trump-huppke-20180105-story.html

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said in a statement Thursday he plans to open 90 percent of America’s outer continental shelf to exploration and development, which will help with “powering America and achieving American Energy Dominance.”

As expected, a bunch of hippy-flippy crustacean cuddlers — along with a number of Democratic and Republican governors who are presumably in the pocket of Big Dolphin — pitched a fit over this plan, which would do away with Obama administration restrictions that were put in place after BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil spill seven years ago. (It was nothing tens of billions of dollars and the acceptance of a 60 percent reduction in dolphin reproduction rates couldn’t take care of.)

Those plankton panderers worry that offshore drilling around Alaska and in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans and the Gulf of Mexico might cause environmental damage to sea life and shoreline ecosystems, just because massive, oily drilling apparatuses would be plunked down among sea life near shoreline ecosystems. How ridiculous.

Diane Hoskins, campaign director for a marine conservation group called Oceana, which is “Ocean” spelled wrong, told the Associated Press: “Americans have seen the devastation that comes from offshore drilling. Will we allow Florida's white beaches or the popular and pristine Outer Banks to share a similar fate?”...

...A 2005 U.S. Geological Survey of the American portion of the Great Lakes found that beneath all that water there are 312 million barrels of oil and 5.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Yet there’s nothing in the Interior Department’s plan to undo the current ban on oil and gas drilling in the Great Lakes....
Where is this devastation?  Is Santa Barbara, where oil drilling and production has been for 50 years, suffering this 'devastion'?

This cad needs to be called out for his outragious claims.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:00:21 am »
Where is this devastation?  Is Santa Barbara, where oil drilling and production has been for 50 years, suffering this 'devastion'?

This cad needs to be called out for his outragious claims.

Perhaps not the best example to use:

Oil piled up at the seawall near the Santa Barbara Harbor. Note the blackness of the incoming wave; the water has a thick layer of oil on top.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:31:58 pm »
The  times I have visited Santa Barbara's beach and harbor I never saw that.

His definition of 'devastation' leaves a lot to be desired as there are no long lasting effects that I could see.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »
What it comes down to is the lakes are off limits because places like California, Kentucky, and Utah get a vote. I'm not picking on those particular states, just pointing out that states with no stake in the great lakes get a vote when it should be up to those of us who actually live here. In short we can't drill there because of anti federalism.

Nobody is a better protector of the lakes than those of us who actually live here and that makes us the best to approve drilling because we would control the safety and environmental concerns.

I'm not going to track it down now but several years ago Michigan Capitol Confidential had a story with quotes from the EPA stating that horizontal drilling under the great lakes could be made completely safe by things like situating the drill sites back 1000 feet from the lake.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:34 pm »
What it comes down to is the lakes are off limits because places like California, Kentucky, and Utah get a vote. I'm not picking on those particular states, just pointing out that states with no stake in the great lakes get a vote when it should be up to those of us who actually live here. In short we can't drill there because of anti federalism.

Nobody is a better protector of the lakes than those of us who actually live here and that makes us the best to approve drilling because we would control the safety and environmental concerns.

I'm not going to track it down now but several years ago Michigan Capitol Confidential had a story with quotes from the EPA stating that horizontal drilling under the great lakes could be made completely safe by things like situating the drill sites back 1000 feet from the lake.
Who actually owns the mineral rights under the Great Lakes?  Is it just the states or also the feds?  In general, I prefer states to handle matters rather than the expanding federal government.

Stating that only the states who border the lakes should control things is hardly a good enough answer.  Otherwise, you are advocating all rivers to be controlled by just states that have them in or alongside the state.  But once again, there are many tributaries that flow into those rivers and lakes, so how do you handle that mishmash?

Don't make the mistake of castigating drilling as some evil enterprise as this country has drilled alongside oceans, rivers and lakes for over a hundred years.  It is safe environmentally if handled correctly.  Gee, even Gold Mines are hazards if idiots do not handle them correctly.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:45:08 pm »
Who actually owns the mineral rights under the Great Lakes?  Is it just the states or also the feds?  In general, I prefer states to handle matters rather than the expanding federal government.

Stating that only the states who border the lakes should control things is hardly a good enough answer.  Otherwise, you are advocating all rivers to be controlled by just states that have them in or alongside the state.  But once again, there are many tributaries that flow into those rivers and lakes, so how do you handle that mishmash?

Don't make the mistake of castigating drilling as some evil enterprise as this country has drilled alongside oceans, rivers and lakes for over a hundred years.  It is safe environmentally if handled correctly.  Gee, even Gold Mines are hazards if idiots do not handle them correctly.
It think the ability of the Feds to regulate this comes from the fact that the waters are interstate in nature, and not solely within the purview of one State. That said, I fully believe that the States should be able to regulate their own industry, with the Federal Government only involved in the instance of interstate disputes (per the Constitution).

The industry has proven, that in ordinary practice oil and gas can be safely extracted without lasting damage to the environment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:15:15 pm »

Watersheds are well known from the largest increments like the Mississippi watershed down to the smallest like the River Raisin watershed where I live. I have no problem with states directly affected being the ones to make the decisions. Drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge would have been a done deal decades ago if Alaska alone had been making the decision.

When it comes to the great lakes there are obvious international concerns where the feds do have at least some interest but its important to note that Canada drills under the lakes already and there are several existing wells under American waters.

I will always err on the side of federalism because its what our nation was founded to be and because the states get most things done a lot faster and better than the feds.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 12:26:38 am »
Let the Great Lakes oil reserves sit untouched for now.

When the time comes (as it will, someday) when they're needed, they'll be drilled...

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 01:52:10 am »

When the time comes (as it will, someday) when they're needed, they'll be drilled...

Yup.

They make a nice strategic reserve.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 04:14:14 am »

With that type of logic, we would have no drilling anywhere and be a 3rd world country.

Why should other states supply energy to someone with that attitude anyway?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
Yup.

They make a nice strategic reserve.

Here in Michigan we already claim some of the gas as a reserve for ourselves

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 10:27:56 pm »
Here in Michigan we already claim some of the gas as a reserve for ourselves
Unsure what you mean by that.

Do you mean you have identified gas and keeping it in place for the future or did you identify it and are producing it?

I recall Michigan producing gas way before I entered the oil industry in the early 70s.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
With that type of logic, we would have no drilling anywhere and be a 3rd world country.

Why should other states supply energy to someone with that attitude anyway?
Although not in the top ten oil producing states, Michigan definitely has an oil industry already:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 11:06:50 pm »
Just not off the  coast of Florida.   The tourist industry is worth more.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:52 pm »
Unsure what you mean by that.

Do you mean you have identified gas and keeping it in place for the future or did you identify it and are producing it?

I recall Michigan producing gas way before I entered the oil industry in the early 70s.

What I mean is that the state govt is claiming some of the gas under the state to be released in emergency situations. Natural gas is important to industry and farming. Releasing it into the market amid a serious price spike will help weather the storm. What I don't like hearing is people suggesting the feds can tell us that we can't hold it in reserve but the fed can.

Michigan has been producing natural gas on an industrial scale since the 1920s I believe. I remember reading a story about them building an interstate highway bridge here and had a gas blowout when they drove a piling into a gas pocket.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:26 pm »
Just not off the  coast of Florida.   The tourist industry is worth more.

The belief that the tourist industry would disappear with oil platforms miles away from the shoreline in the federal waters is silly.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 11:30:16 pm »
Although not in the top ten oil producing states, Michigan definitely has an oil industry already:

Every county in the lower peninsula has active oil and gas wells.

I don't know why but just last week they drilled on the same site near me where they drilled and put in the gas infrastructure a few years ago.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:28 pm »
The belief that the tourist industry would disappear with oil platforms miles away from the shoreline in the federal waters is silly.

Scare tactics are the anti driller's stock in trade.

Here in Michigan the anti drillers have run ads showing offshore platforms like the Deepwater Horizon with the insinuation that it is what they want to do with the great lakes. Its not obviously but truth isn't in their vocabulary.

These are the same idiots who tried to prevent wastewater injection with horror stories about the water flashing over to steam and causing underground explosions. The anti drillers who came from Ann Arbor to panic the folks got mad at me for doing some research and asking relevant questions at township meetings. (The injection wells are about 1200 feet where the ambient rock temperatures are around 70 degrees)

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »

Don't you know those offshore platforms, working for many decades, are the reason no one will get near the beach in Southern California.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:53 am »

Here in Michigan the anti drillers have run ads showing offshore platforms like the Deepwater Horizon with the insinuation that it is what they want to do with the great lakes. Its not obviously but truth isn't in their vocabulary.

These are the same idiots who tried to prevent wastewater injection with horror stories about the water flashing over to steam and causing underground explosions. The anti drillers who came from Ann Arbor to panic the folks got mad at me for doing some research and asking relevant questions at township meetings. (The injection wells are about 1200 feet where the ambient rock temperatures are around 70 degrees)
Be ready for them to give the downhole temperatures in degrees Kelvin...

Anything to make things look worse (which is why spills are reported in gallons instead of 42 gallon stock tank barrels--the standard measure of crude oil production and sale)

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 12:38:34 am »
Be ready for them to give the downhole temperatures in degrees Kelvin...

Anything to make things look worse (which is why spills are reported in gallons instead of 42 gallon stock tank barrels--the standard measure of crude oil production and sale)

The antis saw what I was doing and were powerless to stop it. The best part was telling them that "I know this and I'm a high school drop out"

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 12:45:32 am »
The antis saw what I was doing and were powerless to stop it. The best part was telling them that "I know this and I'm a high school drop out"
It is fun to be able to cut through the crap with simple facts which entirely refute their arguments. You even get to point out that you are just setting the record straight and inform your fellow citizens of reality. Your credibility goes up, theirs down. That simple.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 01:07:45 am »
It is fun to be able to cut through the crap with simple facts which entirely refute their arguments. You even get to point out that you are just setting the record straight and inform your fellow citizens of reality. Your credibility goes up, theirs down. That simple.

What I did was asked my neighbors in the meeting "Who knows the boiling point of water AT SEA LEVEL" and the antis realized that us ignernt hillbillies weren't so ignernt after all. Then I asked my neighbors what happened to the boiling point of water as the pressure drops vs what happens when the pressure rises. Then I asked the antis if they could tell me how much 1200 feet of rock weighs and what kind of pressure it creates and they didn't answer. I then passed around a geothermal temperature map of this area of the midwest showing the temperature at that depth to be around 70 degrees.

My neighbors were angry that the antis came from Ann Arbor so sure that we were a bunch of drooling morons afraid of angering the dirt gods or something.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 03:43:03 am »
What I did was asked my neighbors in the meeting "Who knows the boiling point of water AT SEA LEVEL" and the antis realized that us ignernt hillbillies weren't so ignernt after all. Then I asked my neighbors what happened to the boiling point of water as the pressure drops vs what happens when the pressure rises. Then I asked the antis if they could tell me how much 1200 feet of rock weighs and what kind of pressure it creates and they didn't answer. I then passed around a geothermal temperature map of this area of the midwest showing the temperature at that depth to be around 70 degrees.

My neighbors were angry that the antis came from Ann Arbor so sure that we were a bunch of drooling morons afraid of angering the dirt gods or something.
That's when you need someone in back to talk about throwing them in the volcano to appease the Fire god....just to see if they are aware there are no volcanoes in Michigan.

C S Lewis