Author Topic: The Data That Threatened to Break Physics  (Read 436 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Data That Threatened to Break Physics
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:40:16 am »
Antonio Ereditato insists that our interview be carried out through Skype with both cameras on. Just the other side of middle age, his salt-and-pepper hair frames wide open eyes and a chiseled chin. He smiles easily and his gaze captures your attention like a spotlight. An Italian accent adds extra vowels to the end of his words.

We talk for 15 minutes before he agrees to an on-the-record interview. He tells me he has no desire to engage journalists who might subvert his words into a sensational, insincere story. The reason he agreed to Skype with me is because I am not a journalist, but a physicist and writer who spent 13 years in the trenches of experimental particle physics. And he has no tolerance for entering another debate about behavior rather than science. But finally, he says, “Okay. I’ve looked in your eyes. I trust you. Maybe that is my problem. Maybe I trust too easily, but I trust you.” He laughs and leans back in his chair with his arms out and open.

Read more at: http://nautil.us/issue/55/trust/the-data-that-threatened-to-break-physics-rp
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

Re: The Data That Threatened to Break Physics
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:11:39 am »
Always check your cables, but Ereditato shouldn't have been forced out.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn