Author Topic: Oregon Lefties Flip Out After Law is Stricken That Bans Self-Service Gas Stations  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
A law passed through Oregon’s legislature in May and signed into law in June will allow counties with 40,000 residents or fewer to pump their own gas. Oregonians are not pleased about the change, reports Chris White.

The law, which will take effect Jan. 1, has created a minor firestorm in rural parts of Oregon, where full-service gas stations have been the norm since 1951, writes White. A local CBS affiliate in Medford, Ore., asked its viewers on Facebook about the new law – the responses have ranged from anger to confusion.

“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian…..I say NO THANKS! I don’t want to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote in a comment on a survey the new station posted Dec. 29. The poll elicited more than a thousand responses.

Read more at: http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2018/01/oregon-lefties-flip-out-after-law-is.html
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

Geez. Crybabies. 

Offline thackney

It always amazed me at the locations that believed their people were too stupid to safely pump their own gasoline, like the rest of the country.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Is there ANYTHING in the law that says you are REQUIRED to pump your own gas?  If not, what the HELL are they griping about?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Is there ANYTHING in the law that says you are REQUIRED to pump your own gas?  If not, what the HELL are they griping about?

Probably because they know that gas stations will get rid of the extra staff and go to just self-service. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Probably because they know that gas stations will get rid of the extra staff and go to just self-service.

It's been legal to pump your own gas in Texas for at least 50 years and you can still find full service stations here.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

It's been legal to pump your own gas in Texas for at least 50 years and you can still find full service stations here.

Can you find a full service gasoline station in a county with less than 40,000 people?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Can you find a full service gasoline station in a county with less than 40,000 people?

Frankly I haven't looked but I would bet it would be easier to find one in a low population county than in a larger one.

Fill 'er up? Full service still thrives at a few gas stations

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/12/fill_er_up_full_service_still.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:43:13 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Are there any gas stations in Texas that are all or mostly self-service?

Offline thackney

Frankly I haven't looked but I would bet it would be easier to find one in a low population county than in a larger one.

I would guess just the opposite as there would be far less demand to pay a higher price to sit in the car in a rural area.

Oceander

Doubt it.  Keeping the extra staff would be more expensive in thinly-populated counties. 

Offline thackney

Nearly every station is self-service.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
If there's a full-serve left in Iowa, I'm not aware of it.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

Nearly every station is self-service.

Exactly

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Yes!  Most of them are but full service can still be found in many places.  I know of at least one in this town.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

Full-service gas stations few and far between in South Texas
http://www.kristv.com/story/30667778/full-service-gas-stations-few-and-far-between-in-south-texas
 Jan 03, 2016

...things around The James Mathis Exxon station are pretty much the same as they've always been.

His business is one of 2 full-service stations left in South Texas...

Oceander

Yes!  Most of them are but full service can still be found in many places.  I know of at least one in this town.

Which proves my point:  if these folks still want full service, they will have to go hunting for it, and may have to wait in line to be served. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I live in NJ and unless I’ve gone to a different state I’ve never pumped my own gas. I like it, and it gives jobs to people to pump.

Besides, I always tip a dollar to the guy for filling my car.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I strongly suspect that Full Service will remain an option in Oregon for quite some time to come.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Which proves my point:  if these folks still want full service, they will have to go hunting for it, and may have to wait in line to be served.

But they will not "smell of gasoline" if they choose to find one.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

I live in NJ and unless I’ve gone to a different state I’ve never pumped my own gas. I like it, and it gives jobs to people to pump.

Besides, I always tip a dollar to the guy for filling my car.

Can’t stand paying extra to have some monkey put gas in my car.  Dislike getting my credit card or change back greasy and smelly when I have to fill up on the NJ Turnpike.

Offline thackney

If there's a full-serve left in Iowa, I'm not aware of it.

While searching on full service stations (Texas), I found this article:

Full-Service Gas Stations Still Alive in Iowa
http://www.convenience.org/YourBusiness/FuelsCenter/Operations/News/Pages/ND1101173.aspx#.WkvHvN-nE2w
November 1, 2017

​SIOUX CENTER, Iowa – At the Co-op Gas and Oil Company station, customers might feel like they’ve stepped back in time as attendants like Oscar Morales pump gas, check fluids and tire pressure, and wash windows for customers, the Des Moines Register reports....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
While searching on full service stations (Texas), I found this article:

Full-Service Gas Stations Still Alive in Iowa
http://www.convenience.org/YourBusiness/FuelsCenter/Operations/News/Pages/ND1101173.aspx#.WkvHvN-nE2w
November 1, 2017

​SIOUX CENTER, Iowa – At the Co-op Gas and Oil Company station, customers might feel like they’ve stepped back in time as attendants like Oscar Morales pump gas, check fluids and tire pressure, and wash windows for customers, the Des Moines Register reports....

I figured if any were left they'd be mom n' pops or repair garages that sell gas. Even those are self-serve anymore.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:14:37 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
It always amazed me at the locations that believed their people were too stupid to safely pump their own gasoline, like the rest of the country.

Well except for NJ.  They really are to stupid.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

Not everyone can be a New York City lawyer. Do you suppose they go on welfare?

Eh?  That comment makes no sense.