Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159989 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #925 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:18 pm »
@EasyAce

I have been blessed to have seen those names below, that I've put in bold type, live.

I'd be pondering B.B. King, Albert King, and Etta James on lists of the greatest blues singers, and that would be a crowded list when you consider the like of Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf (This is where the soul of man begins---Sam Phillips, who first recorded Wolf for what became Sun), Sonny Boy Williamson II, Lightnin' Hopkins, and a ducal group of others. Not to mention the two Kings, Johnson, Hopkins, T-Bone Walker, Lonnie Johnson, Waters, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Elmore James, Robert Lockwood, Magic Sam, Guitar Slim (Eddie Jones), Fenton Robinson, Mike Bloomfield, Peter Green, Albert Collins, Luther Allison, Johnny Winter, Alan Wilson (Canned Heat), Eric Clapton, and Duane Allman on a list of the greatest blues guitarists . . .

Offline skeeter

« Reply #926 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:28 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #927 on: August 23, 2018, 11:34:09 pm »
I just saw this.

Wow. All those musicians died on the plane crash. He got to make it. RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #928 on: August 24, 2018, 12:11:40 am »
I just followed a link that had 148 or so celebs that died in the last year,and the thing that hit me the hardest were the suicides. That is one HELL of a burden to leave on the shoulders of your family,and no matter what you say,you KNOW most of them will live the rest of their lives with the haunting feeling that "I could have done something to have prevented it."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #929 on: August 24, 2018, 02:36:22 am »
One of the men who made the Motown Sound (and one of the earliest of the Funk Brothers) . . .

Eddie Willis, Guitarist for Motown’s Funk Brothers, Dead at 82

RIP Chank. You had guts to go with your soul.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #930 on: August 24, 2018, 03:02:50 am »
Leonard L. Boswell, eight-term Iowa congressman, dies at 84

Leonard L. Boswell, an Iowa farmer and Army officer turned politician who served 16 years in Congress, died Aug. 17 at a Des Moines hospital. He was 84.

The cause was cancer, said Grant Woodard, a family spokesman and former chief of staff.

Mr. Boswell, a Democrat, focused throughout his political career on agriculture, securing services for veterans and their families and helping college students with financial aid. He served in the Iowa state Senate before he was elected to the U.S. House in 1996. He was from tiny Davis City, in southern Iowa, and represented a district that stretched almost all the way across the state.

He was known for his courtly demeanor and gained national attention in 1996 when he and his first opponent, Michael Mahaffey, kept an agreement not to launch personal attacks during the campaign. Mr. Boswell won by one percentage point, in the year in which Bill Clinton was reelected as president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/leonard-l-boswell-eight-term-iowa-congressman-dies-at-84/2018/08/18/e72e9406-a2fe-11e8-8e87-c869fe70a721_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.529a34e65251
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #931 on: August 24, 2018, 03:14:42 am »
I just saw this.

Wow. All those musicians died on the plane crash. He got to make it. RIP.
@Freya
He left Lynyrd Skynyrd well enough before that plane crash. (He left after their third album, I think.) Good on him. I would have been tired of the fighting and rowdying and B.S. too.

Did you know or do you remember: Ed King actually co-wrote this psychedelic hit and played the lead guitar, but was muscled out of the co-songwriting credit for some perverse reason . . .

Strawberry Alarm Clock, "Incense and Peppermints"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #932 on: August 24, 2018, 04:00:24 am »
Bob Burns died three years ago.   It was a miracle he lived as long as he did.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #933 on: August 24, 2018, 09:49:55 am »
@EasyAce

He wrote incense and peppermints?

Trippy!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #934 on: August 24, 2018, 02:02:43 pm »
@Freya
He left Lynyrd Skynyrd well enough before that plane crash. (He left after their third album, I think.) Good on him. I would have been tired of the fighting and rowdying and B.S. too.

Did you know or do you remember: Ed King actually co-wrote this psychedelic hit and played the lead guitar, but was muscled out of the co-songwriting credit for some perverse reason . . .

Strawberry Alarm Clock, "Incense and Peppermints"

! No longer available

Wasn't it Gaines that replaced him, prior to the crash?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #935 on: August 24, 2018, 02:10:36 pm »
Wasn't it Gaines that replaced him, prior to the crash?

I think so. King was from SoCA and admitted to never feeling like he fit in with those good ol boys.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #936 on: August 24, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
Fox News is reporting that Robin Leach has died at 76. I hope they have champagne wishes and caviar dreams in heaven

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robin-leach-dead-lifestyles-rich-famous-host-dies-1137244
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:17:20 pm by Freya »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #937 on: August 24, 2018, 03:21:47 pm »
Btw, Robin Leach was an interesting person. He was related to Cary Grant and married to the actress Joan Severence who was hot in her day.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #938 on: August 24, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
@EasyAce

He wrote incense and peppermints?

Trippy!
He didn't write the lyric, but he did write most of the music. He also played that classic round of fuzz guitar on the record.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #939 on: August 25, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Performer, Bowie Mentor, Lindsay Kemp has passed away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45308468

I can see a bit of what Bowie did in the pictures from the link.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #940 on: August 26, 2018, 12:33:45 am »
Senator McCain has died.

See other threads

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #941 on: August 26, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
Btw, Robin Leach was an interesting person. He was related to Cary Grant and married to the actress Joan Severence who was hot in her day.

She still is.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #942 on: August 26, 2018, 02:17:19 pm »
She still is.

I haven’t seen a picture of her in a few years. Good for him! They had a long marriage, rare in Hollywood. 

@Suppressed

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #943 on: August 26, 2018, 03:02:38 pm »
I haven’t seen a picture of her in a few years. Good for him! They had a long marriage, rare in Hollywood. 

@Suppressed
@Freya
Well, they never officially married, and there are those rumors he was gay, so maybe that's the key?  Doesn't matter to me, if they were happy, and my thoughts go out to her.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #944 on: August 26, 2018, 03:45:50 pm »
dang it, Neil Simon just died. Obit coming.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #945 on: August 26, 2018, 03:52:54 pm »
 8888crybaby

I loved The Odd Couple -- movie and tv series.  One of my favorite comedies.

Rest in peace, Mr. Simon.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #946 on: August 26, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »

Neil Simon Dead - Famed Playwright Passes Away at 91

American playwright Neil Simon has passed away at the age of 91.

According to TMZ, he died on Sunday (August 26) at 1 AM and had been on life support after suffering from a “failing kidney and also Alzheimer’s and dementia.”

Neil was well known for so many plays and won Tony Awards for The Odd Couple, Biloxi Blues, and Lost in Yonkers. He also wrote other famous hits including Barefoot in the Park, Promises, Promises, and more. He wrote more than 30 plays in total, and was also nominated for four different Oscars for his screenplays over the years.

Our thoughts are with Neil‘s loved ones during this time.

http://www.justjared.com/2018/08/26/neil-simon-dead-famed-playwright-passes-away-at-91/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:55:30 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #947 on: August 26, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
8888crybaby

I loved The Odd Couple -- movie and tv series.  One of my favorite comedies.

Rest in peace, Mr. Simon.

I know. Oscar and Felix

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #948 on: August 26, 2018, 04:07:34 pm »

Did he ever write anything other than Biloxi Blues that appealed to heterosexual men?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #949 on: August 26, 2018, 05:55:28 pm »
Did he ever write anything other than Biloxi Blues that appealed to heterosexual men?
I'm still a fan of Neil Simon's work, mostly, and I'm as heterosexual as the day is long. Particularly The Odd Couple (said to have been based on Simon's observation of Mel Brooks after Brooks' early divorce), The Sunshine Boys, Chapter Two (revisiting Simon's pain after his first wife died and his second wife, Marsha Mason's understanding of his grieving), The Goodbye Girl, Brighton Beach Memoirs (based on Simon's own Depression boyhood in New York), Biloxi Blues (his military training), Lost in Yonkers, and Laughter on the 23rd Floor (his comic revisiting of his years on the writing staff of Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca's Your Show of Shows).

Simon was originally the protege of a radio comedy legend---Goodman Ace (he wrote and acted in the classic semi-serial comedy Easy Aces, plus he branched a bit to create the legendary historic drama You Are There, though he didn't get the credit for it for years to follow), who ran a short-lived CBS workshop for comedy writing in which Simon and his older brother, Daniel, were two of his students, before they went into television writing and, in due course for Neil Simon, the stage and film. Ace helped the pair get radio writing gigs and early television work---including a show that sounded like it had a shot until some jerk at CBS monkeyed around with it, featuring another Ace protege, Robert Q. Lewis, prior to the fabled CBS talent raids that brought them about half of NBC's comedy lineup including Jack Benny in 1947-48. Ace would remember that early Lewis show this way: I give them a good, tight, fifteen-minute comedy show and what do they do? They expand it to half an hour and bring in an orchestra and an audience. Who the hell said a comedy show had to be half an hour, Marconi? Ida Cantor? (Not long afterward, Ace revived his own Easy Aces into a half-hour remake, mr. ace and JANE, which could be taken as his bid to satirise and mock the half-hour format.)

By the way, Neil Simon was also one of the writers for The Phil Silvers Show, a.k.a. You'll Never Get Rich and Sgt. Bilko. He also earned two Emmy nominations when he wrote for Your Show of Shows. His older brother, Danny (he died in 2005 and would have been 100 this year) has television credits including those plus The Colgate Comedy Hour, The Danny Thomas Show (a.k.a. Make Room for Daddy), The Carol Burnett Show, and The Facts of Life.

The Simon brothers had a harsh childhood---their parents' marriage was probably best described as tumultuous; like the two young brothers in Lost in Yonkers, the boys were often shuttled around among other relatives when their father hit the road for long periods or when the tumult at home became too much, and kid brother Neil found refuge in the movies, where he once admitted he was often tossed out of theaters for laughing too loud at films of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Laurel & Hardy. Simon had always alluded to his own life in his post-television work, but when he did it more directly---in the so-called Eugene trilogy (Brighton Beach Memoirs, Biloxi Blues, Broadway Bound) and in Lost in Yonkers, critics began taking him more seriously enough that he finally won the Pulitzer Prize (for Lost in Yonkers). And if there was any single continuous theme in his work, it was the loss and the need for a kind of traditional domestic stability; a Simon play rarely if ever strove for social messaging, focusing instead on ordinary people, and he once admitted the main source of his comedy: blocking out of some of the really ugly, painful things in my childhood and covering it up with a humorous attitude ... do something to laugh until I was able to forget what was hurting. I wish I'd been that smart when I was younger.

RIP Mr. Simon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:55:59 pm by EasyAce »