Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159975 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #875 on: August 13, 2018, 07:40:00 am »
Miss Franklin was supposed to perform at the New Orleans Jazz Fest this past spring.  A friend of mine goes every year and was disappointed when Miss Franklin canceled.  At the time it was said she was not in good health.  Sorry to hear this may be the end.  Her performances were always amazing.  May God take her gently.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #876 on: August 13, 2018, 02:40:57 pm »
Miss Franklin was supposed to perform at the New Orleans Jazz Fest this past spring.  A friend of mine goes every year and was disappointed when Miss Franklin canceled.  At the time it was said she was not in good health.  Sorry to hear this may be the end.  Her performances were always amazing.  May God take her gently.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/08/12/exclusive-aretha-franklin-queen-of-soul-gravely-ill-in-detroit-winner-of-18-grammy-awards
Originally diagnosed with cancer in 2010, Aretha, who turned 76 in March, bravely battled back and refused to be knocked out by illness. Her last performance as on November 2, 2017 for the Elton John AIDS Foundation in New York. Her final public performance was at Philadelphia’s Mann Center in August 2017. It was a miraculous show as Aretha was already then fighting exhaustion and dehydration.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #877 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:01 pm »
I like Aretha.  One of the all-time classic ladies.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #878 on: August 13, 2018, 02:53:06 pm »

I do love her music. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #879 on: August 13, 2018, 03:17:39 pm »
I guess we're kind of jumping the gun if Aretha is still with us, but there's no doubt her great talent will be missed when that sad day comes.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #880 on: August 13, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »
Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart dies (professional wrestler)

Monday morning, news broke that former WWF tag team champion Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has died. He was 63 years old. WWE.com confirmed the news.

"It is with a sad heart, that I share with you the passing of a long time friend and colleague, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart. Your thoughts and prayers for the family are appreciated!" posted Cauliflower Alley Club president Brian Blair -- who often competed in the Killer Bees tag team against Neidhart and Bret "Hitman" Hart as the Hart Foundation.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #881 on: August 16, 2018, 02:41:32 am »
Aaron Cox, brother-in-law of Mike Trout and former Angels prospect, dies at 24
TOM SCHAD  |  USA TODAY
Updated 3 hours ago

Aaron Cox, the brother-in-law of Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout and a former minor-leaguer in the organization, died Wednesday morning, the team and his family announced. He was 24.

In a statement on behalf of their families that was released Wednesday, Mike and Jessica Trout called Cox "a phenomenal human being" who had "a deep love for his family, and a passionate dedication and commitment to his friends."

"As our families grieve together, we will also celebrate the memories, the laughter, and the love we each shared with Aaron in the short time we had him," the Trout and Cox families said in the statement. "We will rely on the love and strength of God first and foremost during this difficult and challenging time, as well as our dear family and friends. We thank you for your thoughts and prayers, and our Lord and Savior for His precious gift of Aaron Joseph."

[...]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/angels/2018/08/15/aaron-cox-dies-angels-mike-trout/998043002/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #882 on: August 16, 2018, 12:19:56 pm »
Aaron Cox, brother-in-law of Mike Trout and former Angels prospect, dies at 24
TOM SCHAD  |  USA TODAY
Updated 3 hours ago

Aaron Cox, the brother-in-law of Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout and a former minor-leaguer in the organization, died Wednesday morning, the team and his family announced. He was 24.

In a statement on behalf of their families that was released Wednesday, Mike and Jessica Trout called Cox "a phenomenal human being" who had "a deep love for his family, and a passionate dedication and commitment to his friends."

"As our families grieve together, we will also celebrate the memories, the laughter, and the love we each shared with Aaron in the short time we had him," the Trout and Cox families said in the statement. "We will rely on the love and strength of God first and foremost during this difficult and challenging time, as well as our dear family and friends. We thank you for your thoughts and prayers, and our Lord and Savior for His precious gift of Aaron Joseph."

[...]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/angels/2018/08/15/aaron-cox-dies-angels-mike-trout/998043002/

Looks like either accidental or (more likely) purposeful drug overdose/suicide.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #883 on: August 16, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »

The Associated Press
‏Verified account @AP

BREAKING: Publicist for Aretha Franklin says the Queen of Soul died Thursday at her home in Detroit.
9:57 AM - 16 Aug 2018

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #884 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:40 pm »
The Associated Press
‏Verified account @AP

BREAKING: Publicist for Aretha Franklin says the Queen of Soul died Thursday at her home in Detroit.

May she rest in peace.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #885 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:52 pm »
RIP Aretha Franklin

888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

RESPECT
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:14:20 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #886 on: August 16, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »
May she rest in peace.

@Sanguine

One of the truly greats.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #887 on: August 16, 2018, 02:12:23 pm »
Aretha Franklin, the iconic singer who changed the face of rock and roll, soul and R&B with such classics as “Think” and her signature song “Respect,” died Thursday at her home in Detroit, said her representative, Gwendolyn Quinn.
The cause was advanced pancreatic cancer....

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/aretha-franklin-died-icon-soul-artist-rock-hall-of-famer-music/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #888 on: August 16, 2018, 02:13:17 pm »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #889 on: August 16, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »
... The daughter of a Baptist minister, Franklin incorporated black church music, blues and jazz to forge “a contemporary synthesis that spoke to the younger generation in the new language of soul,” according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, which in 1987 made her the first female inductee.

Through four decades, Franklin was a regular on Billboard magazine’s hit lists. She had 17 top 10 songs and 22 top 40 albums. Twenty songs and 10 albums reached No. 1 on Billboard’s R&B/Hip-Hop lists.

She won 18 Grammy Awards, plus two honorary ones for her lifetime of work. In 2008, Rolling Stone named her the greatest singer of all time based on a survey of 179 producers, musicians and others. Time magazine in 2010 named her one of the 25 most powerful women of the past century.  ...
More at Bloomberg

Offline Applewood

« Reply #890 on: August 16, 2018, 02:25:34 pm »
Rest in peace, Miss Franklin.  You were one of the greats.  Now your voice will join the choir of angels.

My favorite -- from the Blues Brothers (1980):

! No longer available

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #891 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #892 on: August 16, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »
The Associated Press
‏Verified account @AP

Much "respect" for that lady.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #893 on: August 16, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »
August 16th,  not a good day for "Royalty"

"The Sultan of Swat"
"The King of Rock and Roll"

and now, "The Queen of Soul"

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #894 on: August 16, 2018, 04:47:42 pm »

I have enough MP3s of her music that I can listen for 8 hrs straight and never hear the same one twice.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline verga

« Reply #895 on: August 16, 2018, 05:20:39 pm »
I am playing a bunch of her music for my students. Most of them are 9th graders and have never heard of her. So far they seem to be enjoying.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #896 on: August 16, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »
So on August 16th we've lost....

1948 - The Sultan of Swat
1977 - The King of Rock & Roll
2018 - The Queen of Soul

So if you have a nickname that connotes Royalty,  be very nervous every August 16th.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #897 on: August 16, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »
So on August 16th we've lost....

1948 - The Sultan of Swat
1977 - The King of Rock & Roll
2018 - The Queen of Soul
What about Prince?

So if you have a nickname that connotes Royalty,  be very nervous every August 16th.

Offline verga

« Reply #898 on: August 16, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »
August 16th,  not a good day for "Royalty"

"The Sultan of Swat"
"The King of Rock and Roll"

and now, "The Queen of Soul"
How do you remember these things?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #899 on: August 16, 2018, 07:29:16 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer