Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159971 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »
Bill Loud, the Father of TV’s ‘An American Family,’ Dies at 97

Bill Loud was not the first person to play the role of a father on television. What made him a pioneer was that he was not acting — and that he was often not acting responsibly.

In 1973, when PBS broadcast “An American Family,” Mr. Loud, who died on Thursday in Los Angeles at 97, was the tan and philandering head of an affluent real-life household whose domestic dramas in Santa Barbara, Calif., were captured on camera for 300 hours and edited into 12 hourlong episodes now regarded as the genesis of reality television.

“An American Family” shocked American families. Aired with the imprimatur of public broadcasting, it was portrayed as sociological exploration, not exploitation, and although many people found it irresistible, it was also hard to watch.

More

An American Family

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #851 on: July 28, 2018, 11:01:36 pm »
Professional golfer Bruce Lietzke dies at 67

Lietzke was a member of the PGA Tour from 1977 to 1994, winning thirteen tournaments and finishing the 1991 US Open in second place. He netted an additional seven victories on the Champions Tour, including his only major win, the 2003 US Senior Open. A natural pro who seldom practiced so that he could spend more time with his family, Lietzke was known for being largely a part-time golfer, capable of finishing in the top 75 in earnings each year on the tour despite seldom playing more than 20 tournaments in a year.

Lietzke, who had previously been in relatively good health, died of complications from treatment to fight glioblastoma.

Obituary from Golf Digest

Wikipedia

PGA Tour profile
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #852 on: July 29, 2018, 03:25:34 am »
Former pitcher, Yanks coach Tony Cloninger dies at 77; once hit two grand slams in game

He was a 24-game winner for the 1965 Braves, but he's best remembered for hitting that pair of grand salamis during a 1966 Braves blowout of the Giants in San Francisco.

Cloninger's salamis were the first time any National League player hit a pair in one game, and he was the first pitcher ever, in either league, to turn that trick. His nine runs batted in on the day broke the record for pitchers set by Vic Raschi (seven) of the Yankees. That record still stands. Cloninger also busted a single-game RBI record---it had been five before his San Francisco mayhem, and he himself was one of the pitchers who'd done that, too.

RIP.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:30:43 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #853 on: July 29, 2018, 05:29:55 pm »

WWE Hall of Famer, legendary heel Nikolai Volkoff dies at age 70

Nikolai Volkoff, real name Josip Nikolai Peruzovic, passed away Sunday morning at age 70, WWE has confirmed.

Born in Croatia, Volkoff first worked for the New York territory -- then known as the World Wide Wrestling Federation -- under the direction of Vince McMahon Sr. beginning in 1968 under the moniker of Bepo Mongol. He departed the promotion in 1971 and returned in 1974 to feud with some of the territory's biggest stars such as Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/wwe-hall-of-famer-legendary-heel-nikolai-volkoff-dies-at-age-70/
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #854 on: July 30, 2018, 01:52:30 am »
Nikolai Volkoff RIP, he ran for public office a few years ago in the Baltimore area which his wikipedia bio confirms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Volkoff#Personal_life

That was always a barrel of laughs, he and the Iron Shiek, who is still living.  Whenever I saw them, they were a team managed by Classy Freddie Blassie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sheik

The Iron Shiek actually had some real athletic prowess about him and videos that show it over at youtube, swinging those big clubs which they actually do in Iran, India and other countries.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:54:27 am by TomSea »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #855 on: July 30, 2018, 07:42:03 pm »

Ron Dellums, Forceful Liberal in Congress for 27 Years, Dies at 82

Ron Dellums, the son of a longshoreman who became one of America’s best-known black congressmen, a California Democrat with a left-wing agenda that put civil rights and programs for people ahead of weapons systems and warfare, died early Monday at his home in Washington. He was 82.

His death was confirmed by Dan Lindheim, who was an aide to Mr. Dellums on Capitol Hill and was city manager of Oakland when Mr. Dellums was a one-term mayor there a decade ago. Mr. Dellums had cancer, he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/obituaries/ron-dellums-forceful-liberal-in-congress-for-27-years-dies-at-82.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:43:16 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #856 on: July 30, 2018, 07:53:35 pm »
a California Democrat with a left-wing agenda that put civil rights and programs for people ahead of weapons systems and warfare
Leave it to the NYT to make that fool sound so noble.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #857 on: August 02, 2018, 02:33:13 am »
Sheriff: Radio host Art Bell died of prescription overdose

LAS VEGAS — Authorities in Nevada say Art Bell, a syndicated radio host best known for nightly shows in the 1990s about paranormal themes and conspiracy theories, died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly posted a brief Facebook announcement on Wednesday saying an autopsy determined the 72-year-old Bell died of "multiple drug intoxication from his own lawfully prescribed prescriptions."

More details at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/sheriff-radio-host-art-bell-died-of-prescription-overdose/ar-BBLnuQ4?ocid=spartanntp

Rest In Peace Art Bell, I know he passed on a few months ago, a great entertainer.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:33:53 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #858 on: August 02, 2018, 04:09:54 am »

Ron Dellums, Forceful Liberal in Congress for 27 Years, Dies at 82

Good riddance! One less communist oxygen thief.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #859 on: August 02, 2018, 04:12:30 am »
Rest In Peace Art Bell, I know he passed on a few months ago, a great entertainer.

LAS VEGAS — Authorities in Nevada say Art Bell, a syndicated radio host best known for nightly shows in the 1990s about paranormal themes and conspiracy theories, died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs

@TomSea

(Insert dramatic drum roll here) Or WAS it an accident and not someone trying to shut him up?  (Insert sound of rim shot)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #860 on: August 02, 2018, 04:40:06 am »
@TomSea

(Insert dramatic drum roll here) Or WAS it an accident and not someone trying to shut him up?  (Insert sound of rim shot)

The Republic is lost.

Offline endicom

« Reply #861 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42:41 pm »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #862 on: August 04, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »
Andrea Rich

https://www.cato.org/blog/rip-andrea-rich

A bit along the same lines, George HW Bush's assistant as VP, Mary Lewis has passed away.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-ob-mary-lewis-20180801-story.html
She also wrote political novels.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #863 on: August 04, 2018, 11:27:10 pm »
Andrea Rich

I was a regular customer of Laissez-Faire Books for a couple of decades, and Ms. Rich's writings in their monthly catalogs and elsewhere never failed to delight. She was an absolute champion of freedom, and we have lost something special in the world for her departure. Had it not been for her and her commitment to the literature of freedom, I would never have found such books as Frank Chodorov's Fugitive Essays, Friedrich Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty, John T. Flynn's The Roosevelt Myth, and Bastiat's The Law.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline endicom

« Reply #864 on: August 04, 2018, 11:36:11 pm »
I was a regular customer of Laissez-Faire Books for a couple of decades, and Ms. Rich's writings in their monthly catalogs and elsewhere never failed to delight. She was an absolute champion of freedom, and we have lost something special in the world for her departure. Had it not been for her and her commitment to the literature of freedom, I would never have found such books as Frank Chodorov's Fugitive Essays, Friedrich Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty, John T. Flynn's The Roosevelt Myth, and Bastiat's The Law.

I knew of Laissez-Faire Books but don't recall ever taking the time to go there. I think it must have helped a good number of people, especially students, who would otherwise have known only the leftist pablum.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #865 on: August 04, 2018, 11:51:07 pm »
Andrea Rich

I am saddened to report that my dear friend Andrea Millen Rich died this morning at her home in Philadelphia at the age of 79 after a 19-year battle with lung cancer.

WOW! Nobody can ever say SHE was a quitter,can they? That was one tough cookie!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #866 on: August 04, 2018, 11:52:42 pm »

I knew of Laissez-Faire Books but don't recall ever taking the time to go there. I think it must have helped a good number of people, especially students, who would otherwise have known only the leftist pablum.
Ms. Rich ended Laissez Faire in 2005 and sold them to the International Society for Individual Liberty. In 2011 ISIL sold Laissez-Faire Books to Agora Financial. They maintain a Website with libertarian-leaning articles but don't sell books, at least for the time being.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:56:15 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #867 on: August 05, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »
Chuckle Brothers star Barry dies at 73
3 hours ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45074955

Barry Chuckle, one half of the comedy duo the Chuckle Brothers, has died aged 73 after a short period of ill health.

The entertainer, whose real name was Barry Elliott, starred in ChuckleVision with his brother Paul on the BBC between 1987 and 2009.

Paul said: "I've not just lost my brother, I've lost my theatrical partner of many, many years and my very best friend."

[...]

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:30:26 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #868 on: August 06, 2018, 03:03:52 am »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #869 on: August 06, 2018, 03:06:15 am »
Charlotte Rae, 'The Facts of Life' and 'Diff'rent Strokes' star, dead at 92

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/05/charlotte-rae-facts-life-and-diffrent-strokes-star-dead-at-92.html

Pretty good run, surviving pancreatic cancer for 8 years!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #870 on: August 07, 2018, 05:25:08 pm »
Paul Laxalt, Former Nevada Governor, Dies at 96

Paul Laxalt, the son of Basque immigrants who rose to political power as a Nevada governor, U.S. senator and close ally to Ronald Reagan, has died. He was 96.

Laxalt died Monday at a health care facility in Virginia, according to the public relations firm The Ferraro Group.

More

Wikipedia

Offline musiclady

« Reply #871 on: August 07, 2018, 08:10:17 pm »
Paul Laxalt, Former Nevada Governor, Dies at 96

More

Wikipedia

Whoa............ now that's a name from the past!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #872 on: August 08, 2018, 01:04:55 am »
Stan Mikita, NHL Hall of Famer, dies at 78

Considered one of the greatest players to ever play professional hockey, Mikita, who emigrated from Czechoslovakia in his childhood to escape communism, played 21 seasons with the National Hockey League, all of them with the Chicago Blackhawks. He led the league in scoring in four of those seasons, was league MVP twice, and appeared in the all-star game eight times; to the present day, he ranks in the top 20 in points and assists in league history. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 1983.

Mikita, who had icy relations with Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz after his playing career, eventually reconciled with the Blackhawks in 2008. He was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia in 2015 and died from complications of the disease August 7.

Obituary from the Chicago Tribune

Wikipedia

Career stats
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #873 on: August 09, 2018, 12:51:25 pm »
Jarrod Lyle, Australian professional golfer, succumbs at age 36 to his third bout with acute myeloid leukemia.

Golf Channel:
Jarrod Lyle died on Wednesday night at home in Torquay, Australia, following his third bout with acute myeloid leukemia. He was 36.

Lyle, who played three full seasons on the PGA Tour, was placed in “palliative care” last week because “his body is no longer able to fight [leukemia],” and his wife, Briony, released a statement that said Lyle was with his family and friends when he passed away.

“Lusi, Jemma and I are filled with grief and now must confront our lives without the greatest husband and father we could ever have wished for,” Briony Lyle said in the statement. “At the same time, we have been blessed and overwhelmed with the messages and actions of support from around the world and feel comforted that Jarrod was able to happily impact so many people throughout his life.” ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #874 on: August 13, 2018, 03:57:28 am »
Aretha Franklin 'gravely ill' at 76: Queen of Soul surrounded by family in Detroit as they ask for prayers

Aretha Franklin is 'gravely ill' according to reports.

The Queen of Soul, 76, is surrounded by her family in Detroit, according to Showbiz 411.

They have asked for prayers and privacy for the the singing legend, who has battled health problems for the past number of years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6053735/Aretha-Franklin-gravely-ill-76-Queen-Soul-surrounded-family-Detroit.html

-----------------

Not to jump the gun, but she's a beloved legend. Guess we'll know soon if the rumors are true.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:58:32 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.