Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159972 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #750 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »
It happened faster than I thought it would when I read his farewell column.

RIP to a man who invariably civilised the day's or the week's events with his writings.

He may well be the last of the civilized political commentators.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #751 on: June 21, 2018, 11:27:33 pm »
He may well be the last of the civilized political commentators.
@musiclady
Well, we still have George F. Will. Even if he is now 77.

But think of the ones gone and too much missed, on all sides of the ideological divide . . . James Burnham, Eric Sevareid, Murray Kempton, William Safire, William F. Buckley, Jr. Not to mention the retired Russell Baker. (Not to mention the departed who enhanced baseball with their civility and wit: Jim Murray, Red Smith, Shirley Povich, Bill Heinz, Alison Gordon . . . though we do still have Thomas Boswell and Roger Angell . . .) Their genuine wit and civility has been supplanted for the most part by the kind of creatures to whom civility is weakness, real wit is an illegal alien, and whose bugle call is the Bronx razz.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #752 on: June 21, 2018, 11:30:34 pm »
@musiclady
Well, we still have George F. Will. Even if he is now 77.

But think of the ones gone and too much missed, on all sides of the ideological divide . . . James Burnham, Eric Sevareid, Murray Kempton, William Safire, William F. Buckley, Jr. Not to mention the retired Russell Baker. (Not to mention the departed who enhanced baseball with their civility and wit: Jim Murray, Red Smith, Shirley Povich, Bill Heinz, Alison Gordon . . . though we do still have Thomas Boswell and Roger Angell . . .) Their genuine wit and civility has been supplanted for the most part by the kind of creatures to whom civility is weakness, real wit is an illegal alien, and whose bugle call is the Bronx razz.

Quotable quote there, Easy!   Spot on.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #753 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:21 pm »
"I hope that when it comes my time to die, that I have lived a life of honor to receive the respect that Charles Krauthammer has, that those who disagree do so with dignity, and that only a total jackass speaks ill of me. (There'll always be jackasses.)" (my Twitter remarks on the subject of Krauthammer's passing)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #754 on: June 22, 2018, 01:23:48 am »
Quotable quote there, Easy!   Spot on.

You can say that again, @musiclady
@EasyAce
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #755 on: June 22, 2018, 01:27:14 am »
You can say that again, @musiclady
@EasyAce
@Suppressed
@musiclady
How do you feel about making a grown man blush?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #756 on: June 22, 2018, 02:22:09 am »
I didn't agree with everything Krauthammer said, but I respected the heck out of him as a man.  What courage.

I knew he was near the end, but this is still hard.

Neither did I, but he was a giant in the field of roundtable punditry: calm, classy and articulate. He right up there with Buckley in terms of influence, IMO.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #757 on: June 23, 2018, 02:25:17 pm »
Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54
6/22/2018 by Melinda Newman
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/8462386/vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah

Confirmed to Billboard, but no further details available.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:32:15 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #758 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »
Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54

As the R & R' ers approach old age, I think studies will it is show that that lifestyle takes a good 10-15 years off life expectancy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #759 on: June 23, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
As the R & R' ers approach old age, I think studies will it is show that that lifestyle takes a good 10-15 years off life expectancy.

Yes, but the Rolling Stones skew the averages. 

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #760 on: June 23, 2018, 02:58:42 pm »

And Aerosmith...can’t forget the Toxic Twins
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline skeeter

« Reply #761 on: June 23, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »
And Aerosmith...can’t forget the Toxic Twins

In spite of Steve Tyler's best efforts.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #762 on: June 23, 2018, 03:10:42 pm »

@catfish1957

Ever heard of a little band called "The Rolling Stones"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #763 on: June 23, 2018, 03:11:56 pm »

@Sanguine

Keef will never die unless he starts eating health food,stops smoking and doing drugs,and starts exercising.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #764 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:57 pm »
@Sanguine

Keef will never die unless he starts eating health food,stops smoking and doing drugs,and starts exercising.

And, we know that ain't gonna happen.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #765 on: June 23, 2018, 03:19:53 pm »
Willie Nelson, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Streisand, Bill Medley, Dick Dale, Tony Bennett still kicking.

BB King, Chuck Berry into their 80s.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #766 on: June 23, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »
@Sanguine

There's a lame joke that says Keith Richard died three years ago, but no one has told him yet.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #767 on: June 23, 2018, 03:42:48 pm »
Willie Nelson, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Streisand, Bill Medley, Dick Dale, Tony Bennett still kicking.

@truth_seeker

Tony Bennett is operating on a MUCH higher level than that. His voice seems to be as strong and smooth as even,which should be impossible for a man his age who spent most of his life singing in smoky nightclubs.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2018, 03:45:13 pm »
There's a lame joke that says Keith Richard died three years ago, but no one has told him yet.

@Applewood

Remember a few years ago when the Stones were preparing for a world tour in "de islands,man",and Keef tried to climb a coconut tree while drunk to get a coconut,and fell out of the tree?

BTW,I think I read something a few weeks ago about them planning another world tour.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #769 on: June 23, 2018, 03:53:55 pm »
@Applewood

Remember a few years ago when the Stones were preparing for a world tour in "de islands,man",and Keef tried to climb a coconut tree while drunk to get a coconut,and fell out of the tree?

BTW,I think I read something a few weeks ago about them planning another world tour.

I remember that coconut story.  And I won't be surprised if the band tours again.  I saw them a few years ago in Pittsburgh.  I don't know if there was some trickery involved, but the Stones looked and sounded really good.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #770 on: June 23, 2018, 04:57:12 pm »

@truth_seeker
I saw what may have been B.B. King's last performance, right here in Las Vegas. God bless him but he should have retired well before he did. I talked about it when writing a tribute to him for a local weekly magazine's year-end special section honouring prominent Las Vegas people who passed in 2015:
----------------------------------------
More than One Kind Favor

B.B. King gave me a surprise in the summer of 1969 that I still can’t forget. My only regret is that I never got to thank him directly.

I was at summer camp, when the camp announced a trip to Tanglewood, Massachussetts, for a concert at which The Who and Jefferson Airplane would co-headline (it was a kind of Woodstock warmup for those two bands), and B.B. King would open. I’d never heard of him until then; I was fourteen years old, muddled up as a kid could be. We spread blankets and the concert began. At the time, King opened with “Don’t Answer the Door,” a key track on His Best—The Electric B.B. King, as I discovered in due course. I still have few words to describe the way it hit me. Five notes from him and I didn’t want to know anything from either The Who or the Airplane.

I couldn’t wait to get home to the cheap electric guitar my maternal grandmother bought me for my twelfth birthday and start trying to play seriously. Not to mention taking the allowance my mother was kind enough to save for me all summer and buy as many blues records as I could. The haul included three King albums: the aforesaid His Best … , plus Completely Well (at the time his newest release) and Singin’ the Blues (his very early album release). I also bought choice releases by Muddy Waters, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Howlin’ Wolf, the Butterfield Blues Band, Sonny Boy Williamson II* and others. Each told stories I was unaware could be told in music until then. Each said things nobody else had said to this damaged teenage boy. Above them all was B.B. King. His Lucille really was a second human voice. Singing, crying, laughing, whispering, shouting. Saying in a few notes what guitarists since have tried and failed to say with thrice the notes in half the space. Whenever I pick up my guitar, I like to think that I’m thanking King for the gift he gave me all those summers ago.

The musical diversions I made in the years to follow were enough. Invariably, the blues called me back, in due course to stay. King had most to do with that. I rarely lost track of any of King’s coming releases. They bore otherworldly brilliance and human ordinariness alike. None of the ordinariness dimmed the depth of the man at his best, which was more than we had the right to expect.

Not even the final time I saw him live, at the 2014 Big Blues Bender in Las Vegas. I had to fight tears watching my blues father in what seemed like his final days. He could barely get through one verse of a song. His beloved Lucille fell out of tune, her man seemed barely aware of it. He rambled rather than told stories; and I could bear only an hour of it, if that long. Only later was it confirmed what I suspected quietly enough, that Alzheimer’s disease had compounded the diabetes which had long afflicted him. He was human and not without his human frailties, but inflicting that upon B.B. King was an Eighth Amendment violation.

Then I harked to his final studio recording, One Kind Favour. Facing his mortality at last, he opened with “See That My Grave Is Kept Clean,” but he refused to brood and chose to celebrate his life—and life itself. No bluesman of my experience ever allowed less self-pity for his hardships or less self- congratulation for his triumphs and happinesses. I suspect that his attitude, in hand with his outsize talent, is why he became the King of the Blues. (Justice demands the title be retired in his honor.) He may not have intended One Kind Favor as his coda. But to play that and all his recordings, is to say how fortunate we were, to have had him as long as we had him.

So thank you again, Daddy B. For more than one kind favor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
* For the record, I've never forgotten the precise titles I bought in that hall by those performers: Sail On, Live Wire/Blues Power, King of the Delta Blues Singers, Evil, East-West, Bummer Road, plus Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (John Mayall), Live at Cafe au Go Go (John Lee Hooker), Hate to See You Go (Little Walter), and T-Bone Blues (T-Bone Walker).

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #771 on: June 23, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
I saw what may have been B.B. King's last performance, right here in Las Vegas. God bless him but he should have retired well before he did. I talked about it when writing a tribute to him for a local
We went to see BB King in the early 90s, during his last tour before retirement (he was about 65 then)

Glad we did. Leon Russell opened for him (he was past his prime, that night).

Anyway, glad to have seen them both. Yes, many people continue for too long.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #772 on: June 23, 2018, 06:30:55 pm »
@truth_seeker
I saw what may have been B.B. King's last performance, right here in Las Vegas.

@EasyAce  @truth_seeker

You are a fortunate man. B.B. King was and remains something special.

God bless him but he should have retired well before he did. I talked about it when writing a tribute to him for a local weekly magazine's year-end special section honouring prominent Las Vegas people who passed in 2015:
----------------------------------------

Not even the final time I saw him live, at the 2014 Big Blues Bender in Las Vegas. I had to fight tears watching my blues father in what seemed like his final days. He could barely get through one verse of a song. His beloved Lucille fell out of tune, her man seemed barely aware of it. He rambled rather than told stories; and I could bear only an hour of it, if that long. Only later was it confirmed what I suspected quietly enough, that Alzheimer’s disease had compounded the diabetes which had long afflicted him. He was human and not without his human frailties, but inflicting that upon B.B. King was an Eighth Amendment violation.

The way *I* see it,the man was a worker,not a prima donna,and he was going to get up there and work for as long as he was able to get up there. Celebrate it because it is somthing that gets rarer with every day that passes.

I am just glad that Robert Cray is out there,even though for some reason I will never understand he never seems to get the credit he deserves.

As for da blues deysefs,it's amazing how such simple music can be so damn hard to play right,ain't it?

There is the blues,and then there is everything else.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:32:14 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #773 on: June 23, 2018, 06:36:20 pm »

Glad we did. Leon Russell opened for him (he was past his prime, that night).

@truth_seeker

I've seen Leon Russel a couple of times,and anytime you get a chance to see  him it's time well spent.

The thing that seriously pisses me off about Leon Russell is somebody named Donny Hathaway seems to be getting the credit for writing and recording Leon Russell's songs the last few years,and nobody is correcting the people repeating that garbage.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #774 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:38 pm »
@truth_seeker

I've seen Leon Russel a couple of times,and anytime you get a chance to see  him it's time well spent.

The thing that seriously pisses me off about Leon Russell is somebody named Donny Hathaway seems to be getting the credit for writing and recording Leon Russell's songs the last few years,and nobody is correcting the people repeating that garbage.

We saw Leon as "The Leon and Mary Russell Showing the mid-late 70s at Universal Amphitheater.

What a show. They both played pianos,  dressed all in white, and it rocked !!

Leon was part of the "Wrecking Crew" with Glenn Campbell, etc.

Leon Russell and JJ Cale, both Tulsa and had their own recording studios for a time.  @sneakypete @EasyAce
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:50:35 pm by truth_seeker »