Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159984 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #550 on: May 28, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »
I knew it was heading downhill when the first space mission after leaving the moon was Apollo/Soyuz.  A direct move from scientific missions to political statements.
Jose Jiminez (Bill Dana) stopped commenting on launches, too. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bill-dana-dead-jose-jimenez-903436
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #551 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:38 pm »
By the time of Apollo 13, the live coverages had dwindled.  When Apollo 13 ran into trouble, of course, it was wall-to-wall coverage.  I was watching ABC at the time.  Jules Bergman was the network's science editor.  He had models of the lunar module and the craft and was demonstrating what went wrong (well, at least as far as they knew at the time; didn't know anything until it was investigated). 

And that was about it for coverage -- only when a disaster occurred such as Challenger and Columbia.  That's a shame. 

PS:  Thanks for the stories.  BB King was indeed awesome.  RIP

When the Challenger tragedy happened none of the major networks bothered to carry the launch live.  Only an upstart cable news channel was broadcasting it.  I lived in Tampa then and I was watching it so I could step outside and see the contrails ..... 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #552 on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:12 am »
Longtime CBS correspondent Bob Fuss dies at age 64

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/longtime-cbs-correspondent-bob-fuss-dies-at-age-64/ar-AAxWCKe

Robert J. "Bob" Fuss, a veteran radio journalist, died Sunday at his Falls Church, Virginia, home. He was 64. The cause was a rare form of leukemia, his close friend Peter Maer said.

Fuss served as a CBS News congressional correspondent from 1998 until his retirement in 2014.  His first major assignment for CBS News was coverage of the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton. Prior to joining CBS News, Fuss covered Congress for Mutual and NBC Radio for seven years.  He previously worked as Los Angeles bureau chief for UPI Radio. He began his professional radio career as a freelance reporter for UPI covering the 1974 Patty Hearst case. He originally aspired to be an attorney but he was attracted to broadcasting at Stanford University's campus radio station KZSU.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #553 on: May 30, 2018, 12:05:28 pm »
Dick Tuck, Democrat prankster died at 94 years old.

Dick Tuck (January 25, 1924 – May 28, 2018) was an American political consultant, campaign strategist, advance man, and political prankster for the Democratic National Committee.[1][2]

Tuck first met Richard Nixon as a student at the University of California, Santa Barbara. In 1950, Tuck was working for Congresswoman Helen Gahagan Douglas. She was running for a seat in the U.S. Senate against Richard Nixon. In a 1973 Time magazine article, Tuck stated, "There was an absent-minded professor who knew I was in politics and forgot the rest. He asked me to advance a Nixon visit." Tuck agreed and launched his first prank against Nixon. He rented a big auditorium, invited only a small number of people, and gave a long-winded speech to introduce the candidate.[3] When Nixon came on stage, Tuck asked him to speak about the International Monetary Fund. When the speech was over, Nixon asked Tuck his name and told him, "Dick Tuck, you've made your last advance."[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tuck

I was not aware of who he was either but he is in this morning's obits.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #554 on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:39 pm »
What an unfortunate name.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #555 on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:00 pm »
Classic Tuck story: At the 1968 Republican National Convention, a large shipment of Nixon buttons arrived. Nixon's people were about to open the shipped packages when one of them saw Tuck standing not too far away---and ordered the packages removed immediately. They weren't taking chances with the guy who once paid off a train engineer to pull away the moment Nixon opened his mouth to make a whistlestop speech; or, who hung a large sign behind a podium when Nixon spoke before a group of Koreans during his 1962 California gubernatorial campaign, a sign emblazoned in Korean . . . and translated to, "What About the Hughes Loan?"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #556 on: May 30, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
What an unfortunate name.

I've seen worse.
Let it burn.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #557 on: June 04, 2018, 02:10:53 pm »
Robert Mandan, star of ’70s sitcom ‘Soap,’ dies at 86

Robert Mandan, who starred as the wealthy, womanizing Chester Tate in the ’70s sitcom “Soap,” has died. He was 86.

Mandan’s friend, screenwriter Gary Goldstein, told TheWrap that the actor passed away April 29 after suffering a long illness.

Mandan was best known for his work on “Soap,” which kicked off Billy Crystal’s career as one of television’s first openly gay characters.

More at:

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Robert-Mandan-Star-of-70s-Sitcom-Soap-12964637.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mandan

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0541610/

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2018, 07:04:20 pm »
Sci-fi actor William Phipps, Disney's Prince Charming in 'Cinderella,' dead at 96

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-ent-phipps-obit-20180603-story.html
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2018, 07:06:14 pm »
Sci-fi actor William Phipps, Disney's Prince Charming in 'Cinderella,' dead at 96

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-ent-phipps-obit-20180603-story.html

He looked a lot different in Cinderella.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #562 on: June 04, 2018, 11:19:47 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #563 on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:24 pm »

Too scary looking to be charming, I'd say......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #564 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:42 pm »

Disappointing, because Disney Studios were pretty good at crafting the likenesses in their cartoons. :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #565 on: June 04, 2018, 11:59:17 pm »
Dwight Clark RIP.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2018, 12:03:35 am »
Former San Francisco 49ers legend Dwight Clark has passed away at the age of 61, his wife, Kelly Clark, announced on Twitter Monday.

Clark had been battling ALS, a disease he formally announced he’d been diagnosed with last year in March in a letter that was published on DebartoloHoldings.com.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/kelly-clark-announces-dwight-clark-has-passed-away/ar-AAydWHR?OCID=ansmsnnews11
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2018, 03:34:57 am »
Bernard E. Trainor, Marine lieutenant general turned journalist, dies at 89

By Harrison Smith June 4 at 7:32 PM Email the author

Bernard E. Trainor, a Marine Corps lieutenant general who served in two wars and then launched a second career as a journalist, covering the military for the New York Times and in three critically acclaimed books on America’s wars in the Persian Gulf and Iraq, died June 2 at his home in Potomac Falls, Va. He was 89.

The cause was cancer, said his wife, Peggy Trainor.

Gen. Trainor led an infantry platoon in the Korean War, served two tours in Vietnam and was deputy chief of staff for plans, policies and operations at Marine Corps headquarters before retiring from the military in 1985.

Continued: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/bernard-e-trainor-marine-lieutenant-general-turned-journalist-dies-at-89/2018/06/04/a295e796-6801-11e8-9e38-24e693b38637_story.html

Called "Mick" Trainor generally. Books sound interesting.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:37:24 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »
Kate Spade died as the result of suicide

Designer Kate Spade has reportedly died as the the result of suicide. According to law enforcement officials and reported by the Associated Press, she was found dead in her New York apartment on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kate-spade-died-result-suicide-161306210.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:27:33 pm by mystery-ak »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »
s**t

Depression hurts

Rip

I love your handbags I have three
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #570 on: June 05, 2018, 04:33:34 pm »
http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/05/kate-spade-dead-dies/

Iconic fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead of an apparent suicide Tuesday morning in her NYC apartment ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources confirm a housekeeper found Kate's body at 10:20 AM ET in her Park Avenue home. We're told she hanged herself using a ligature tied to her bedroom door knob. She was pronounced dead on the scene. We're also told she left a note.

Kate got her start in the '80s working for women's magazine "Mademoiselle" in Manhattan, when she moved in with Andy Spade -- David Spade's brother. She and Andy met while attending Arizona State University and working at a clothing store.

Together, they launched Kate Spade Handbags in 1993, and it blossomed into a full-scale clothing and jewelry line. Kate and Andy got married in 1994.

Kate sold her company in 2007 and took some time off to raise her daughter -- but got back in the game in 2016 by launching a new fashion brand called Frances Valentine ... named after her daughter, who's now 13 years old.

Kate was 55.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #571 on: June 05, 2018, 04:36:24 pm »
Love her bags and shoes...

this is a shock..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #572 on: June 05, 2018, 04:36:40 pm »
You have a 13 year old kid and you are hanging yourself off an effing doorknob? That is pretty shitty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2018, 04:38:32 pm »
Love her bags and shoes...

this is a shock..

She made some pretty hot stuff. I didn't mind my wife blowing money on it. I wonder if I can cash in on fashionista grief and get some of those heels and bags up on Ebay before the wife gets home?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:44 pm »
She made some pretty hot stuff. I didn't mind my wife blowing money on it. I wonder if I can cash in on fashionista grief and get some of those heels and bags up on Ebay before the wife gets home?

I am bereft.  Please mail them to me.