Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159972 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #525 on: May 23, 2018, 03:48:29 am »
Bad week for American novelists.

I loved "Goodbye Columbus " RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #526 on: May 23, 2018, 03:54:36 am »
Bad week for American novelists.

I loved "Goodbye Columbus " RIP.

It's a good thing The Lounge is chock full of donuts and kittens.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #527 on: May 23, 2018, 04:09:46 am »
Classic story about Clint Walker---Before he did Cheyenne, he was invited to meet with Cecil B. DeMille regarding a role in The Ten Commandments. En route, he stopped to help an older woman change a tire on her car. When he got to the meeting, DeMille told him he was late. Walker explained what he'd done on the way there. "I know all about it," DeMille replied. "That was my secretary."

He's tall in the saddle and has snow on his shoulders six months out of the year.---A television critic.

I'm not going to get that far carrying a gun and a badge. It doesn't pay well. If you make movies, you make some pretty good money---and the bullets aren't real.---Clint Walker, who was a Las Vegas sheriff's deputy doing security at the Sands Hotel when Van Johnson discovered him and suggested he try acting.

RIP, Mr. Walker.

Didn't he either fall off a horse, or crash into a tree while skiing?   Impaled him.   

Or, is it somebody else?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #528 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:52 am »
Didn't he either fall off a horse, or crash into a tree while skiing?   Impaled him.   

Or, is it somebody else?
@DCPatriot
No, it was him---a skiing accident, where his ski pole punctured his heart and he survived.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #529 on: May 23, 2018, 06:08:22 am »
It's a good thing The Lounge is chock full of donuts and kittens.....

You all know I was an English major..... but I minored in donuts and kitties ....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #530 on: May 23, 2018, 10:33:14 am »
Obituary: Philip Roth, the author who scandalised middle America
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30537267

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #531 on: May 23, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »
You all know I was an English major..... but I minored in donuts and kitties ....
@Freya
I was an English major . . . but I minored in steaks. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #532 on: May 24, 2018, 04:32:50 am »
I missed this. Mr. Forthright passed away, age 92.
! No longer available

His "How to Get Out of Jury Duty" video...

! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline verga

« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45:01 pm »
I missed this. Mr. Forthright passed away, age 92.
! No longer available

His "How to Get Out of Jury Duty" video...

! No longer available
His videos are hilarious
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2018, 03:39:57 pm »
Indiana complained for the rest of his life that his work was one of the most plagiarized pieces of art in history

Well, you didn't give credit to Robert Besley and Benjamin Fox, who created the Clarendon typeface off which you based your art, buddy, so I call it even.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:17 pm »
Well, you didn't give credit to Robert Besley and Benjamin Fox, who created the Clarendon typeface off which you based your art, buddy, so I call it even.

My wife told me that she thought it was a Robert Besley creation.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #536 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »
Renowned gaming critic YouTuber has succumbed to cancer...

https://mobile.twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999785407087808512
Genna Bain  @GennaBain
Rest in Peace my Dearest Love
John @Totalbiscuit Bain
July 8, 1984 - May 24, 2018

Example video
! No longer available
+++++++++

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #537 on: May 26, 2018, 07:53:59 pm »

Alan Bean, 4th Person to Walk on the Moon, Dies at 86

Alan Bean, who became the fourth man to walk on the moon and turned to painting years later to tell the story of NASA’s Apollo missions as they began receding into history, died on Saturday at Houston Methodist Hospital. He was 86.

His death was announced by his family in a statement released by NASA.

Mr. Bean stepped onto the lunar surface preceded by Pete Conrad, the mission commander of their Apollo 12 flight, in November 1969, four months after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first lunar explorers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/obituaries/alan-bean-astronaut-dies.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:54:43 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #538 on: May 26, 2018, 08:04:30 pm »
RIP Mr Bean

Sad that pretty soon, every man who ever walked on the Moon will be just a memory and someone to read about in the history books and conspiracy websites about fake moon landings..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #539 on: May 27, 2018, 11:11:54 am »
RIP Mr Bean. What an amazing life.

Ping @kevindavis
@Suppressed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:13:58 am by Freya »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #540 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:47 pm »
RIP Mr Bean

Sad that pretty soon, every man who ever walked on the Moon will be just a memory and someone to read about in the history books and conspiracy websites about fake moon landings..

Since some schools don't teach history or they teach "revisionist history," I suspect our young people won't know about these heroes at all.  Or somehow the heroes will be portrayed as evil.  All those moon shots poisoned the environment, ya know.   :facepalm:

Rest in peace, Mr. Bean and thank you.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #541 on: May 27, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
Since some schools don't teach history or they teach "revisionist history," I suspect our young people won't know about these heroes at all.  Or somehow the heroes will be portrayed as evil.  All those moon shots poisoned the environment, ya know.   :facepalm:

Rest in peace, Mr. Bean and thank you.

Yes, I was once watching an episode of "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsay and Buzz Aldrin was the honored guest that night. One of the chef-testants thought he was Buzz Lightyear.
 :facepalm2:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #542 on: May 27, 2018, 02:06:46 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #543 on: May 27, 2018, 02:20:40 pm »
Either that or kids today think Alan Shepard was some golfer.

I'd say Alan Beam did rather splendid with his life and his work.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #544 on: May 27, 2018, 03:04:26 pm »
Either that or kids today think Alan Shepard was some golfer.

I'd say Alan Beam did rather splendid with his life and his work.

Indeed he did.  It's a shame that moat young people today won't know or care about it. 

When I was a kid, space missions were televised live.  If there was one during the school year, classes were suspended and all of us gathered in assembly to watch  on tv.  At home, we watched on an old console black and white set Dad bought at Sears.  We didn't have a color tv set till I was in my teens. 

The first moon landing was on July 20, 1969 in the wee hours of the morning.  My maternal grandmother, terminally ill with cancer, was living with us.  Her pain medication would knock her out, but that evening she refused her medication and suffered in pain just so she would be awake to see the moon landing.  I'm so glad Grandma was able to witness such an historic event. 

Today's youth regard these space missions as "ho-hum -- no big deal."  That just makes me so sad.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #545 on: May 27, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
Indeed he did.  It's a shame that moat young people today won't know or care about it. 

When I was a kid, space missions were televised live.  If there was one during the school year, classes were suspended and all of us gathered in assembly to watch  on tv.  At home, we watched on an old console black and white set Dad bought at Sears.  We didn't have a color tv set till I was in my teens. 

When I was a kid, I owned a tiny transistor radio, as small as a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes. I'd keep an earphone attached to it on space mission days, one ear cocked on the mission coverage and the other listening to whatever transpired in class. The only more important reason to do that was, of course, the World Series.

The first moon landing was on July 20, 1969 in the wee hours of the morning.  My maternal grandmother, terminally ill with cancer, was living with us.  Her pain medication would knock her out, but that evening she refused her medication and suffered in pain just so she would be awake to see the moon landing.  I'm so glad Grandma was able to witness such an historic event.
God bless Grandma for that!

I was away at summer camp when Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon. Our camp director was attuned so acutely to the significance that he allowed the entire camp to stay awake to watch on whatever television sets could be rounded up. (I've never forgotten hearing Walter Cronkite holler out, the split second Armstrong hit the surface, "Man on the moon. Man finally on the moon. My golly!")

A couple of weeks later, our camp was transported to Tanglewood, Massachussetts, where I got to hear the man who changed my musical life for the first time ever, opening a Woodstock warmup concert for the Who and Jefferson Airplane. Had I not gotten to see and hear B.B. King that night, I never would have tried to play a guitar seriously.

Come fall, my little transistor radio was in my pocket again, earphone attached accordingly, for days on which I had to be in school during the World Series. Said one member of the Series-winning team that fall, Mets relief pitcher Tug McGraw, "When those astronauts landed on the moon, I knew we had a chance. I figured right there that anything could happen."

Anything did.

The moon landing. B.B. King. The '69 Mets. What a wonderful year 1969 was.

Today's youth regard these space missions as "ho-hum -- no big deal."  That just makes me so sad.
In one way, it's our own fault. We had so bloody many of them after the earliest moon landings, it became as routine as coffee at the breakfast table.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:27:52 pm by EasyAce »

Offline verga

« Reply #546 on: May 27, 2018, 04:49:44 pm »

We celebrated my sisters birthday a day early so we could have the whole family over to watch the event. I remember that there wasn't a car on the road for about 2 hours while every house in the neighborhood was glued to televisions.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #547 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:19 pm »
The moon landing. B.B. King. The '69 Mets. What a wonderful year 1969 was.
In one way, it's our own fault. We had so bloody many of them after the earliest moon landings, it became as routine as coffee at the breakfast table.

I knew it was heading downhill when the first space mission after leaving the moon was Apollo/Soyuz.  A direct move from scientific missions to political statements.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:58:52 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2018, 05:34:22 pm »

By the time of Apollo 13, the live coverages had dwindled.  When Apollo 13 ran into trouble, of course, it was wall-to-wall coverage.  I was watching ABC at the time.  Jules Bergman was the network's science editor.  He had models of the lunar module and the craft and was demonstrating what went wrong (well, at least as far as they knew at the time; didn't know anything until it was investigated). 

And that was about it for coverage -- only when a disaster occurred such as Challenger and Columbia.  That's a shame. 

PS:  Thanks for the stories.  BB King was indeed awesome.  RIP

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2018, 05:49:34 pm »
By the time of Apollo 13, the live coverages had dwindled.  When Apollo 13 ran into trouble, of course, it was wall-to-wall coverage.  I was watching ABC at the time.  Jules Bergman was the network's science editor.  He had models of the lunar module and the craft and was demonstrating what went wrong (well, at least as far as they knew at the time; didn't know anything until it was investigated). 

And that was about it for coverage -- only when a disaster occurred such as Challenger and Columbia.  That's a shame. 

PS:  Thanks for the stories.  BB King was indeed awesome.  RIP

The early shuttle missions were covered, as well.  My grandfather loudly complained to me about what a waste of money it was, and look at all the pollution, etc.  Which got me defending the expenditures in terms of spinoffs and ROI, and that the clouds that were seen was water, not smoke, etc. 

Only many years later did I realize he was trolling me.
+++++++++