Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159972 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2018, 12:05:20 pm »
Frank Avruch, TV's Bozo the Clown, dies at 83

Avruch, a reporter for what is now WCVB-TV in Boston, held a number of roles during his 40-year career in television, but none were as widely known as his role as Bozo the Clown. Most Bozo the Clown shows were "franchised:" a local host would wear the wig and clown makeup and produce a show for local audiences. However, in 1965, producer Larry Harmon bought the franchise and decided to create a national version of the show, using the Boston version as its basis. Avruch's Bozo aired nationwide until 1967 and in Boston until 1970. (Avruch is not to be confused with the other Bozos from Chicago, whose versions were seen nationwide via WGN in the 1980s and 1990s, nor is he to be confused with the Bozos in charge of Washington, DC.)

Obituary from USA Today

! No longer available
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:55:21 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2018, 12:48:13 pm »
Ronn Huff, arranger and composer of Christian music, member of the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, died March 18. Full obit to be published this Sunday.
Inducted as a non-performing member of the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame, Ronn Huff’s legacy is well-known to anyone who has directed church choirs in the last 30 years.

While minister of music in a Denver church he arranged and published two highly successful books of hymns, “Celebration, Music for Festival Choir” and “Celebration II.” But his arrangements and recording of Bill and Gloria Gaither songs into a 1973 musical called “Alleluia, A Praise Gathering” brought national prominence and was the first religious recording to receive an RIAA Gold Album certification, selling over a million records and books. A Christmas work called “His Love, Reaching,” a collection of early Praise and Worship songs entitled “Exaltation” and a series collaboration with the Singing Churchmen of Oklahoma are among the successful church music publications he authored.

Huff claims to be an arranger, not a composer, but his work is found on many recordings, both sacred and secular. In the past two years alone his name appears on and arrangements are heard in the recordings of Faith Hill, Charlotte Church, Amy Grant, Celine Dion, Jewel, Martina McBride, Allison Krauss, Sandi Patty, John Michael Talbot, Keith Urban, George Strait, Clint Black, Lonestar, Boston Pops, and The American Boy Choir. Until recently Huff held the position of Pop’s Director for the Nashville Symphony, but a battle with Parkinson’s Disease has limited his activities in recent years.
From the Hall of Fame site.
@musiclady

I remember seeing him conduct an orchestra in the 1960s. We had some music books of his arrangements.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:50 pm »
Toys R Us founder Charles Lazarus dies at 94
By: Theresa Seiger, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Updated: Mar 22, 2018 - 4:42 PM
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending-now/toys-r-us-founder-charles-lazarus-dies-at-94/720154625

Charles Lazarus, who founded what would become Toys R Us in 1948, has died, company officials confirmed Thursday. He was 94.

The news came just days after officials with the toy store chain announced it would be closing its U.S. stores.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »

Charles Lazarus, who founded what would become Toys R Us in 1948, has died, company officials confirmed Thursday. He was 94.

[...]
[/quote]

I'd die too if I knew what subsequent management teams had done to my idea and company.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2018, 11:44:05 pm »

They can bury him in the last store they close next week.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2018, 12:40:52 am »
Toys R Us founder Charles Lazarus dies at 94
By: Theresa Seiger, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Updated: Mar 22, 2018 - 4:42 PM
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending-now/toys-r-us-founder-charles-lazarus-dies-at-94/720154625

The news came just days after officials with the toy store chain announced it would be closing its U.S. stores.

[...]

I think he died from a broken heart, seeing what happened to his toy empire. I loved their store in Times Square, best Ferris Wheel ever, (other than the Wonder Wheel in Coney Island)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:42:21 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2018, 02:48:18 am »
Ronn Huff, arranger and composer of Christian music, member of the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, died March 18. Full obit to be published this Sunday.From the Hall of Fame site.
@musiclady

I remember seeing him conduct an orchestra in the 1960s. We had some music books of his arrangements.

I used a lot of music by Huff, dating back years ago.

Thanks for the ping, @mountaineer .  I hadn't heard this.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #282 on: March 23, 2018, 03:12:01 pm »
Former Georgia Governor and U.S. Sen. Zell Miller has died at the age of 86, family says

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/23/former-georgia-governor-and-u-s-sen-zell-miller-has-died-at-age-86-family-says.html

Rest in peace, Mr. Miller.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #283 on: March 23, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »
I used a lot of music by Huff, dating back years ago.

Thanks for the ping, @mountaineer .  I hadn't heard this.

I thought of you when I read this Obit about Mr. Huff.   8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #284 on: March 23, 2018, 03:17:55 pm »

The last patriotic Democrat.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
They can bury him in the last store they close next week.

They should leave a key in his pocket for at least four days, just in case.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2018, 04:01:19 pm »

That's sad.

A good man, I think.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

You beat me to it.  He was indeed.  May he rest in peace.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2018, 05:57:55 pm »
Yep. Sad. RIP Mr. Miller.  :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2018, 07:04:27 pm »
Text of Zell Miller's famous speech to the RNC convention:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/text-of-zell-millers-rnc-speech/

That speech made me proud to be an American. 

Rest in peace, Senator. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2018, 03:32:34 pm »
Actress and Stuntwoman Debbie Lee Carrington Has Passed Away
by Brad Miska March 24, 2018

Several outlets have reports that American actress and stuntwoman Debbie Lee Carrington has passed away. She was 58. This was further substantiated by Return of the Jedi‘s Mike Quinn, who posted his condolences on his Facebook.

Debbi starred in several genre films from Total Recall to Batman Returns, Scary Movie 3, and Seed of Chucky, which she also provided stunts on as well as Bride of Chucky, Leprechaun in the Hood, New Nightmare, Spawn and Van Helsing. She also appeared in both “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Dexter.”

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2018, 01:18:18 am »
Linda Brown, who kicked off the Warren Court's string of revolutionary rulings, dies in her mid-70s

Linda Brown, who as a child resided in Topeka, Kansas, is best known as the "Brown" in the Supreme Court case now known as Brown v. Board of Education. Prior to her lawsuit, the 1896 Court ruling Plessy v. Ferguson had established a precedent regarding application of the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause: segregation was legal, but only if the separate facilities were equal in every way.

In practice, the separate facilities were not equal, and a number of logistics problems in the city of Topeka's segregated elementary school system (a CNN obituary specifically cited the fact that the black school was two miles away while one of the white schools was closer to home) prompted Brown's father and four other families to sue the city school district over the policy. In 1954, the Court, under chief justice Earl Warren, issued a decree declaring that any separate facilities were "inherently unequal" and declared segregation in public accommodations to be unconstitutional.

While in Topeka, the process of integration went fairly smoothly (the middle and high schools of the city were already integrated), the ramifications of the edict were met with far more hostility elsewhere, especially in the southern United States. Over the next 15 years, resistance to the ruling would be widespread in the South, and a number of attempts at resistance and workarounds would ultimately be met with failure, often at the hands of another Warren Court ruling.

Beyond the specific issues brought about by the Brown case, Warren's broad interpretation of equal protection, first imposed in Brown and fleshed out by associate justice William Brennan, would have far-reaching ramifications in later court rulings. It would be used to outlaw anti-miscegenation laws in Loving v. Virginia in 1967, dramatically altered the nature of state legislatures in Reynolds v. Sims by taking away fixed-district representation, allotted the court power to tax by proxy in Griffin v. Prince Edward County and, by way of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and a series of court rulings, imposed the rulings on most private businesses, even if they didn't operate across state lines and were not subject to the Commerce Clause. After Warren's death, Brennan would even extend the clause to illegal aliens in Plyler v. Doe, even though they did not meet the 14th Amendment's requirement that the persons in question be born in the U.S.

Brown herself would go on to college and be married three times. She did not consider herself a major historic figure but did speak openly about her role in the ruling throughout her life; not much else about her personal life beyond that is known.

There is some dispute about exactly when she was born, either in 1942 or 1943, and thus her age at death is uncertain.

Obituary from the Topeka Capital-Journal

Brown v. Board of Education on Wikipedia
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:13:31 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2018, 01:32:21 am »
Amazing how things have changed in such a short time!  And, for the better in some cases.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2018, 06:16:38 pm »
Mets hitter Rusty Staub, known after career for work for police and firefighters, dies at 73
They called him Le Grande Orange in Montreal and Trusty Rusty in New York. And he was one of the nicest guys in the game.

He also created the New York Police and Fire Widows and Children's Fund to aid families of first responders who die on duty. That's also
the group to whom Mets players, coaches, and their then-manager donated their day's pay after they played their first game back from
the 9/11 atrocity in 2001.

RIP Trusty Rusty.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:35:52 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #295 on: March 29, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »
Mets hitter Rusty Staub, known after career for work for police and firefighters, dies at 73
They called him Le Grande Orange in Montreal and Trusty Rusty in New York. And he was one of the nicest guys in the game. RIP.

Came up with the Colt 45/ Astros organization.
One of many we let get away back then.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #296 on: March 29, 2018, 06:33:41 pm »
Came up with the Colt 45/ Astros organization.
One of many we let get away back then.

Dark day in our team's history.   Basically traded him for Clendenon, and Clendenon stiffs us.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2018, 06:56:28 pm »
Wow, Rusty Staub. I'm officially feeling old.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2018, 07:10:57 pm »
Came up with the Colt 45/ Astros organization.  One of many we let get away back then.

That’s OK.  You made up for it later by swindling my Orioles out of Finley, Harnisch, and Schilling for that bum Glenn Davis.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2018, 07:40:01 pm »
Rusty Staub Day at Shea Stadium, 1985 . . .

(Staub had no idea his teammates would prank him with those orange wigs.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.