Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 160000 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:28 am »
‘God Did the Work, Period’
My Tribute to Billy Graham (1918–2018)
by John Piper
Founder & Teacher, desiringGod.org

I recalled this morning (with more emotion than I expected) that one of the fears of my life as a boy growing up in Greenville, South Carolina, was that Billy Graham would die. I know there was a good deal of immature failure in that fear to trust the God who is quite able to run the world without Billy Graham. But it does give you a glimpse of the role he played as a kind of sun holding the planets in place in the solar system of my religious world in the late 1950s.

Now I am 72 in Minneapolis (remember “Box 123”?!), not a teenager in South Carolina. And Billy died today at the age of 99.  ...

There are different ways to measure the greatness of a man’s impact. One would be the institutions that were created in the wake of his influence. Another would be the shaping power of his ideas in the culture at large. Another would be the methodological and stylistic impact of his way of doing things on the religious life of America.

Another would be the incalculable eternal difference in being the human instrument in God’s hands, bringing hundreds of thousands of people out of darkness into light, and out of Satan’s authority into God’s family, and out of condemnation into forgiveness, and out of sin into holiness, and out of hell into everlasting joy with God. Not to mention the billions of practical effects for good in the way these people’s lives were changed in this world.  ...   Entire essay
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:07 am »
Another would be the incalculable eternal difference in being the human instrument in God’s hands, bringing hundreds of thousands of people out of darkness into light, and out of Satan’s authority into God’s family, and out of condemnation into forgiveness, and out of sin into holiness, and out of hell into everlasting joy with God. Not to mention the billions of practical effects for good in the way these people’s lives were changed in this world. 

Incalculable eternal difference.

I just keep imagining the throngs of people surrounding Billy who are in Heaven because God chose him, he was obedient to the call, and God was Faithful.

A glorious day in Heaven!

(Good article by Piper).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:02 am »
Thanks @mountaineer   Excellent tribute.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2018, 12:58:04 am »
Actress Nanette Fabray, who won Tony and Emmy awards, dies at 97

By Dennis McLellan
Feb 23, 2018 | 2:15 PM

Nanette Fabray, the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical comedy star whose work with Sid Caesar on the classic 1950s TV comedy-variety show "Caesar's Hour" earned her three Emmy Awards and a lifetime of television work, has died. She was 97.

Fabray, whose early hearing problem spurred her to become a high-profile advocate for the hearing impaired, died Thursday of natural causes in Palos Verdes, her son, Jamie MacDougall, said. ...

In his 2003 memoir "Caesar's Hours," Caesar praised Fabray and said, "You can't compare Nanette and Imogene other than that they were both amazingly talented performers.

"Nanette was a different type of performer," wrote Caesar, who died in 2014. "She was what the French call a soubrette: she could sing, dance, act, and look beautiful. She had perfect timing and a sense of comedy and I knew she had scope." ...  More at L.A. Times

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2018, 01:22:19 am »
Actress Nanette Fabray, who won Tony and Emmy awards, dies at 97

Nanette Fabray and Sid Caesar, on Your Show of Shows, circa 1954. Genius needs no further introduction:

! No longer available
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2018, 03:42:47 pm »
Emma Chambers, 'Notting Hill' actress, dies at 53
By Nicole Chavez and Duarte Mendonca, CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/25/entertainment/actress-emma-chambers-dies/index.html
Updated 3:53 AM ET, Sun February 25, 2018

British actress Emma Chambers, who starred alongside Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts in the 1999 movie "Notting Hill," has died, according to her agent.

She was 53 years old.

[...]

Grant said the actress died of natural causes on Wednesday. She is survived by her husband, fellow actor Ian Dunn.

[...]

Reports are that it was a heart attack (https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/vicar-of-dibley-star-emma-chambers-53-died-of-a-suspected-heart-attack-says-producer-of-bbc-comedy-classic/ar-BBJzCV9):
[...]

Emma Chambers, star of The Vicar Of Dibley and Notting Hill, died of a suspected heart attack, according to a friend.

She passed away aged 53 on Wednesday but her death from natural causes was only announced yesterday.

And this morning BBC executive Producer Jon Plowman claimed the specific cause of her death was a heart attack.

[...]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:45:04 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #206 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:32 pm »
Beautiful tribute to someone only known by family and friends...and now the internet.

Terry Ward

December 31, 1946 - January 23, 2018

Terry Wayne Ward, age 71, of DeMotte, IN, escaped this mortal realm on Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018, leaving behind 32 jars of Miracle Whip, 17 boxes of Hamburger Helper and multitudes of other random items that would prove helpful in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Terry is survived by his overly-patient and accepting wife Kathy, who was the love of his life (a fact she gladly accepted sympathy for during their 48 years of marriage). He is also survived by daughters Rebecca (William) Hines and Jean (Jeff) Lahm; sister, Linda; brother, Phil; grandchildren: Alexander and Hannah Hines (The Mesopotamians), Daphne and Erin Pistello (The Daffer and Peanut), Brendan and Owen Lahm (Phineas and Ferb) and Tessa McMurry (Smiley).

He is preceded in death by his parents Paul and Bernice Ward, daughter Laura Pistello, grandson Vincent Pistello, brother Kenneth Ward, a 1972 Rambler and a hip.

Terry graduated from Thornridge High School in South Holland, IL, where only three of his teachers took an early retirement after having had him as a student. He met the love of his life, Kathy, by telling her he was a lineman – he didn’t specify early on that he was a lineman for the phone company, not the NFL. Still, Kathy and Terry wed in the fall of 1969, perfectly between the Summer of Love and the Winter of Regret.

Terry volunteered his service in the United States Army and was an active combat Veteran in the Viet Nam War.

He retired from AT&T (formerly Ameritech, formerly formerly Indiana Bell) after 39 years of begrudging service, where he accumulated roughly 3,000 rolls of black electrical tape during the course of his career (which he used for everything from open wounds to “Don’t use this button” covers).

He enjoyed many, many things.  Among those things were hunting, fishing, golfing, snorkeling, ABBA, hiking Turkey Run, chopping wood, shooting guns, Bed Bath & Beyond, starlight mints, cold beer, free beer, The History Channel, CCR, war movies, discussing who makes the best pizza, The Chicago White Sox, old Buicks, and above all, his family.

He was a renowned distributor of popsicles and ice cream sandwiches to his grandchildren. He also turned on programs such as “Phineas and Ferb” for his grand-youngins, usually when they were actually there.

He despised “uppity foods” like hummus, which his family lovingly called “bean dip” for his benefit, which he loved consequently. He couldn’t give a damn about most material things, and automobiles were never to be purchased new. He never owned a personal cell phone and he had zero working knowledge of the Kardashians.

Terry died knowing that The Blues Brothers was the best movie ever, (young) Clint Eastwood was the baddest-ass man on the planet, and hot sauce can be added to absolutely any food.

Tremendous and heartfelt thanks go to the truly exceptional nurses at Southlake Methodist Hospital Neuro-Intensive Care Unit, who provided much more than nursing care for Terry, but also provided a peaceful and compassionate environment during his transition from this life to the next.

Friends can visit with the family on Saturday, January 27, from Noon until the time of the Funeral Service at 4:00 PM, with Pastor Mark Wilkins officiating, at Geisen Funeral, Cremation & Receptions Centre, 606 E. 113th Ave., Crown Point, IN. Services will conclude at the funeral home.

Memorial donations in Terry’s name can be made to your favorite charity or your favorite watering hole, where you are instructed to tie a few on and tell a few stories of the great Terry Ward.

http://www.geisenfuneralhome.com/obitlink?obit_id=2064544
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #207 on: February 26, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
That's beautiful, @Wingnut!  Here's the linked Memorial page, where there is a Guestbook. 

http://www.geisenfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?user_id=2064544
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #208 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:29 pm »
Good grief, @Wingnut, that made me tear up a tiny bit and I didn't know the man from Adam. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »
Good grief, @Wingnut, that made me tear up a tiny bit and I didn't know the man from Adam.

IKR?  I almost signed the guestbook.  Others who didn't know him from Adam signed it already....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2018, 12:51:37 am »
IKR?  I almost signed the guestbook.  Others who didn't know him from Adam signed it already....

When I looked the other day his book was over 200 pages. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:15 am »
Sorry for your loss Wingnut.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:01 am »
When I looked the other day his book was over 200 pages.

I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »
@Wingnut
My condolences.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2018, 05:46:14 pm »
@Wingnut
My condolences.

Sadly, didn't know the man.  I just want someone to do my Obit in that style!  But leave the part about a 72 Rambler out! 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:39 pm »
Sadly, didn't know the man.  I just want someone to do my Obit in that style!  But leave the part about a 72 Rambler out!

The part about the Rambler really had me scratching my head, because they only sold it in the US until 1969.  It was available until 1983 in International markets, but, like the VW Beetle, it was expensive to import.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_(automobile)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:02:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »
The part about the Rambler really had me scratching my head, because they only sold it in the US until 1969.  It was available until 1983 in International markets, but, like the VW Beetle, it was expensive to import.

AMC continued til 1988, and a lot of old timers continued to refer to them as Rambler, the previous incarnation for a long time.
Or maybe just this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_American
Jump to 1969 - A total production for the 1969 model year was 96,029. The last U.S.-made Rambler was assembled in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on 30 June, making the production total of 4,204,925 units. After the 1969 model year, a completely redesigned model, the AMC Hornet, replaced the American.
@Cyber Liberty
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:06:43 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2018, 09:11:27 pm »
Beep, Beep
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »
Milt Romney's family car, with dog rack on top.

Great for trips between Massachusetts, La Jolla CA, and Park City UT

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:38 pm »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2018, 10:24:22 pm »
Milt Romney's family car, with dog rack on top.

Great for trips between Massachusetts, La Jolla CA, and Park City UT

@truth_seeker
Don't knock it---that '57 Rambler was actually one helluva car in its day! Though I'd rather see it in colours like these:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:42:23 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2018, 10:33:56 pm »
AMC continued til 1988, and a lot of old timers continued to refer to them as Rambler, the previous incarnation for a long time.
Or maybe just this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_American
Jump to 1969 - A total production for the 1969 model year was 96,029. The last U.S.-made Rambler was assembled in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on 30 June, making the production total of 4,204,925 units. After the 1969 model year, a completely redesigned model, the AMC Hornet, replaced the American.
@Cyber Liberty

Thanks!
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:08 pm »
Come on Ramblers. Lets Ramble!  :beer:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2018, 11:29:14 pm »

Artistic license you daffy bastard.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2018, 11:32:35 pm »
Artistic license you daffy bastard.

Bless his heart.  The one guy who grew up in Michigan in the 50's and 60's who wasn't a car guy.  I bet he loved figure skating.