Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50399 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 04:53:25 am »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:18:38 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:25 am »
Maybe the strangest game ending play I have ever seen.....

https://www.mlb.com/video/tucker-scores-on-error-for-win/c-2257322683?tid=267617572

https://streamable.com/7pgux#%C2%A0
@catfish1957
Come an' see my amazin' Mets! I been in this game a hundred years but I see new ways to lose I didn't know were invented yet.---Casey Stengel, to incoming Polo Grounds fans, 1962.

No, Perfesser---you sure didn't see that one, not even on your '62 Mets!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:43 pm »
Maybe the strangest game ending play I have ever seen.....

https://www.mlb.com/video/tucker-scores-on-error-for-win/c-2257322683?tid=267617572

https://streamable.com/7pgux#%C2%A0

I know it is for me and all brought to you by my favorite (NOT) relief pitcher EVEA!  Ken Giles!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
I know it is for me and all brought to you by my favorite (NOT) relief pitcher EVEA!  Ken Giles!

After the FU's Giles threw at AJ last night, we might have just witnessed Giles last game as an Astro.  (At least I can hope)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:02 pm »
After the FU's Giles threw at AJ last night, we might have just witnessed Giles last game as an Astro.  (At least I can hope)

I thought I was the only one that noticed!  I'll hope with you!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »
I thought I was the only one that noticed!  I'll hope with you!

Details of Gile's tirade is getting more media traction.  I hope Luhnow / Hinch at least give him a 3 or 4 game suspension for this little outburst.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Balls-Strikes-More-Ken-Giles-questions-13065230.php

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:21 pm »
Details of Gile's tirade is getting more media traction.  I hope Luhnow / Hinch at least give him a 3 or 4 game suspension for this little outburst.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Balls-Strikes-More-Ken-Giles-questions-13065230.php

Good!  I personally hope the trade his A$$ if they can, put him up on waivers for all I care they can just release the jerk before he causes any REAL trouble!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »

Man, I went to bed and the Astros had a 4-1 lead!
I missed the good stuff.
Heard that Bregman hit a 5 foot "shot", the catcher missed the tag and then overthrew 1st base for the winning run to come home.
I guess Giles meltdown is why we went into extra innings.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »
Man, I went to bed and the Astros had a 4-1 lead!
I missed the good stuff.
Heard that Bregman hit a 5 foot "shot", the catcher missed the tag and then overthrew 1st base for the winning run to come home.
I guess Giles meltdown is why we went into extra innings.

Yep!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #309 on: July 11, 2018, 08:27:02 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #310 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:41 pm »
Justice was swift....  (Giles optioned to AAA)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/houston-astros

I wonder who they will call up?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #311 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »
I wonder who they will call up?

The article does tell us.

Southpaw Cionel Perez will take his place on the active roster.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #312 on: July 11, 2018, 09:42:26 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2018, 03:04:31 am »
@EasyAce

See what I mean?

The NATS have won 6  of 8 and while they're doing it against the METS and REDS...they're playing their schedule.  Thank God they're not playing over .500 teams.

But they've not even picked up a half game on either the PHILLIES or BRAVES, who've. in the meantime, traded places in 1st and 2nd place respectively.

Harper is being patient and keeping the line moving.  Hit one about 440 ft tonight.  Moving his BA toward .230.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:05:29 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2018, 03:26:27 am »
@EasyAce

See what I mean?

The NATS have won 6  of 8 and while they're doing it against the METS and REDS...they're playing their schedule.  Thank God they're not playing over .500 teams.

But they've not even picked up a half game on either the PHILLIES or BRAVES, who've. in the meantime, traded places in 1st and 2nd place respectively.

Harper is being patient and keeping the line moving.  Hit one about 440 ft tonight.  Moving his BA toward .230.
@DCPatriot
I think the problem Harper had earlier in the season was his timing was a little off. I watched a few games with him. It looked like he wasn't setting comfortably in the box, not getting balanced weight into his swing even when he was hitting the home runs. Remember when he didn't run it out against the Mets last month on that double play grounder? I watched replays of that play. He was about as balanced as the federal budget on that swing, and I'm guessing he probably felt plain disgusted that he had such a terrible swing against a decent pitch to hit. The Harper of last year or the year before would have ripped a line drive out of that one.

I have a feeling the Nats have another move to make---not involving Harper, but involving another pitcher. It looked like Tommy Milhone found what was missing the last couple of years, he pitched very well Wednesday. But I think they make a move for another pitcher shortly. The waiver deadline is 31 August, I think, and they could---could---think about cashing Daniel Murphy in for a starter, now that he's looking healthier and hitting well again. I think the team is mostly solid, and could stay that way if they can get the clubhouse confusion resolved.

You got to admit, Mike Rizzo looks like the second biggest @$$hole in the front offices right now (numero uno just has to be the Astros' Jeff Luhnow)---not because he held onto Harper, but because of his mealy mouth accompanying the trading of Brandon Kintzler (anyone who doesn't believe Kintzler got swapped because Rizzo and/or other Nat officials thought he was the player leaking that the clubhouse was a ball of confusion, offer to sell them a ballpark on the South Pole and you'll get rich) and the way he dumped Shawn Kelley without bothering to get Kelley's side of that "glare" into the dugout. Kelley has said he was looking to see if any help might be forthcoming resolving an apparent contradiction between umps while he worked to Austin Jackson Tuesday night, with one telling him he was in danger of balking and the other telling him to slow it down. (How do you reconcile that to the alleged itch to speed the games up?) And even Dave Martinez said he didn't think Kelley was really trying to show him up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:29:45 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2018, 01:00:21 pm »
Astros/Dodgers this weekend, last year's World Series match up.
Good news:
Correa had his fisrt rehab assignment yesterday in Double A Corpus Christi.
Bad news:
He went 0-2 with 2 strike outs.
Last I heard, reprobate reliever Osuna was supposed to join the team in L.A. this weekend.
We'll see how he's received when the Astros have their next home stand.
Hopefully, this guy is media friendly, as he has a lot of Astros fans he needs to to try and win over.
I will say this, Luhnow made it far more interesting than it had to be, that's for sure.

@EasyAce
As far as Zach Britton went, I understand there was a deal in the works last year that the Orioles blew up at the last minute, which left a bad taste in mouth of the Astro's organization.
I think there was a bit of once-bitten-twice-shy sensation from the Astros this year, leery about trying it again.
One comment I heard was that they were not interested in trading with someone who was going to treat them the way the Orioles did.
Another comment was made that they were not going to go out of their way to "help" the Orioles after the debacle.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:01:34 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2018, 01:44:37 pm »

@EasyAce
As far as Zach Britton went, I understand there was a deal in the works last year that the Orioles blew up at the last minute, which left a bad taste in mouth of the Astro's organization.
I think there was a bit of once-bitten-twice-shy sensation from the Astros this year, leery about trying it again.
One comment I heard was that they were not interested in trading with someone who was going to treat them the way the Orioles did.
Another comment was made that they were not going to go out of their way to "help" the Orioles after the debacle.

I have heard other fans of other teams mention that dealing with Angelos family is like dealing with a sleazy used car salesman.   They can keep their crappy team crappy as far as I am concerned.

And on our front...   I have been a huge fan of Luhnow as he has built us up, but this Osuna deal has me shaking my head.  Didn't like it one bit, we don't need that in the clubhouse.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2018, 01:50:13 pm »
I have heard other fans of other teams mention that dealing with Angelos family is like dealing with a sleazy used car salesman.   They can keep their crappy team crappy as far as I am concerned.

And on our front...   I have been a huge fan of Luhnow as he has built us up, but this Osuna deal has me shaking my head.  Didn't like it one bit, we don't need that in the clubhouse.

When you have to peddle a slug like Giles you take the most you can get and run!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2018, 02:57:01 pm »

That's my argument,as well.  The Astros really didn't need Osuna so badly, that it would cause us to question the integrity of the organization.
I've been a huge fan of Luhnow, too.
Hopefully, a one time glitch.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2018, 04:52:03 pm »
@EasyAce
@GrouchoTex
I'd heard that about a Britton deal last year. The word was that the Astros were actually willing to cough up Dallas Keuchel in a trade for Britton, but that the Orioles' front office wanted more in the way of prospects coming back as well than the Astros were willing to give up to get him. The Sporting News and others reported then that the Astros put too many prospects on the no-touch list for several teams' tastes including the Orioles. That publication also said this at the time the deal was killed:

(W)hen the Astros thought they had a deal for Britton only to get it nixed after medicals were exchanged it begs the questions: If the Astros were trying to deal players with medical questions were they simply trying to pawn off players in an effort to outsmart their trade partners? Does that really qualify as trying to get a deal done?

Owner Jim Crane certainly wasn't happy about deals not getting done and one in particular that got nixed.

"We had a couple of other deals on the plate," he told ESPN 97.5 Radio in Houston. "They were agreed on in principle. Then medicals were exchanged and they got vetoed at the top."

The problem, though, is that multiple sources have said the deal for Britton with the Orioles never got to the top. This could have been in reference to another trade. So why again would Houston, knowing the Orioles were willing to trade Britton, not offer a good enough deal to get it brought to the owner of the team?

Partial translation: this was one botched deal you couldn't lay at the feet of Orioles owner Peter Angelos. Angelos is nobody's idea of a genius, of course, but this is one you can't enter onto his yellow sheet.

That was last year. This year, when the final full week of July began, it looked like the Astros and the Yankees were running neck-and-neck for Britton. As with last year, Keuchel was in the mix in those talks, with the thought being that the Astros could move Collin McHugh back to the starting rotation since he's been a kind of lost boy in the bullpen. There were a lot of reports in the sporting press saying, too, that the Astros were one of six teams "going all-in" on landing Britton this time around, which meant Britton's price went further up, which meant the Orioles were looking once again for a prospects return in a deal, just as they got when they dealt Manny Machado to the Dodgers. They didn't necessarily want to deal Britton within their division (the Red Sox were also thought to be in the Britton mix; if the Orioles also had thoughts of moving Britton out of the American League entirely, the Cubs showed big interest in him, too) if they could help it, but the right package of prospects would be the clincher.

The Astros still have the prospects to spare. They did as that last full week in July began. They needed Britton more than the Yankees did, whether or not Dallas Keuchel was going to be a factor in a deal this time around. (The Orioles hitting the reset button all the way might still have made Keuchel attractive to them as a rotation anchor and veteran mentor for younger pitching.) The Yankee pen, I say again, was already one of the three deadliest in the American League. They needed Britton about as much as Superman needs cortisone shots. The sole reason, really, for the Yankees to be interested in Britton would have been to keep him away from the Red Sox, a division rival, or the Astros, a likely postseason rival. The only thing to speculate now is that, once again, for who knows what reasons, the Astros weren't willing to part with any prospects despite having them to burn deep. The Yankees likewise have had prospects to spare, deep, and they weren't afraid to deal three of them to get Britton, even if the only thing Britton really did for them on his rental (he's a free agent after the season) is give them a little insurance against the Red Sox, even if the Red Sox right now look like the real beasts in the AL East.

Were there other solid relief options the Astros could have pursued? Yes. They could have gone for Brad Ziegler or Jake Diekman, both of whom ended up with the Diamondbacks. They could have gone for Brandon Kintzler if the Nats were that willing to get rid of what they suspected was a clubhouse whistleblower instead of letting the Nats deal him to the Cubs. They could have gotten Zach Duke from the Twins instead of watch him go to Seattle. They could have gotten another Oriole, Brad Brach---who stepped up to the closer role last year with Britton injured and bagged eleven saves this year before Britton returned, instead of watching the Braves pick him up in a deal.

There was nothing compelling them to settle for Roberto Osuna. Not even the Ken Giles factor. (They could have prodded another trading partner to take Giles as part of the deal on the change-of-scenery line.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:53:57 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
There was nothing compelling them to settle for Roberto Osuna. Not even the Ken Giles factor. (They could have prodded another trading partner to take Giles as part of the deal on the change-of-scenery line.)

@EasyAce

I agree with this statement.
While they don't have a legitimate rock star closer, they've done okay without one.
The argument could be made that doing nothing would be better than the Osuna deal.
I wonder if it is some ego driven deal, were Luhnow may have scouted him while with the Cardinals, and didn't land him then, and is still stuck on the guy.
I can fathom the reason behind it.

On the Britton front, for what it's worth, the local media had been claiming that the Astros felt that Orioles weren't trading in good faith before, and that they weren't expected to do it again this time around.
As you've written, " There were a lot of reports in the sporting press saying, too, that the Astros were one of six teams "going all-in" on landing Britton this time around, which meant Britton's price went further up, which meant the Orioles were looking once again for a prospects return in a deal, just as they got when they dealt Manny Machado to the Dodgers."
So, the locals could be wrong about it.

I think some of what drives this is part of Crane/Luhnow strategy. They say they don't want to be the next Kansas City/Miami type small market team that gives away the future for immediate results.
On my way to watch a game, Luhnow was on the radio about 2 weeks ago, saying how KC had that 2-3 year run where they brought up everyone that could get them to the top, with nothing left in the tank for later.
It worked, they won a Series, but the last game I saw had only 3-4 starters from the team that had won it in 2015.
After hearing the Luhnow interview, it doesn't surprise me that their list of untouchable prospects may be longer than the teams they are negotiating with would like it to be.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2018, 08:07:21 pm »
I think some of what drives this is part of Crane/Luhnow strategy. They say they don't want to be the next Kansas City/Miami type small market team that gives away the future for immediate results.
On my way to watch a game, Luhnow was on the radio about 2 weeks ago, saying how KC had that 2-3 year run where they brought up everyone that could get them to the top, with nothing left in the tank for later.
It worked, they won a Series, but the last game I saw had only 3-4 starters from the team that had won it in 2015.
After hearing the Luhnow interview, it doesn't surprise me that their list of untouchable prospects may be longer than the teams they are negotiating with would like it to be.
If the Astros had solid prospects but not a real depth of them, that would be one thing. But their system is deep enough that they could have made a deal for Britton or another close-enough-to-top-shelf relief pitcher with prospects and still not leave the system anywhere near dry. They didn't do all that arduous work rebuilding their system for nothing.

There's another issue to consider in the Osuna deal. Forget for just one moment the baggage he's carrying and consider that he hasn't pitched in three months no matter how good he looked before his arrest and suspension. Now he'll be thrown smack dab into the middle of a pennant race and he may have rust on him. The Astros don't know if they're getting the Osuna who pitched lights out before his arrest and suspension or if they're getting a rusty version who may hurt them on the mound for a long period. Zach Britton had had eight or nine appearances before his trade in which his old form was coming back to him. He was a far better readable entry than Osuna.

Osuna's a risk any way you look at it. The Astro clubhouse was a pretty cohesive one, and a fun loving bunch while they were at it, but the Osuna deal threw a real stink bomb into it. Justin Verlander was only the most vocal about it and even he was forced by the deal to play a wait-and-see game with which he's clearly uncomfortable considering how outspoken he normally is about domestic violence. And, as I've argued elsewhere, Osuna's case is still unresolved one or the other way. Had the Astros waited until after that resolution, and then made a play for Osuna, it could have been read one of two ways:

1) If Osuna is proven guilty, and takes his punishment first, the Astros could deal for him after his punishment is complete and then be seen as willing to give a guy a legitimate second chance.
2) If he's found not guilty, they could have moved for him and borned nothing like the opprobrium with which they were hit (appropriately) by dealing for him now with the case's resolution still not a done deal.

Keep this in mind, too: Luhnow has egg all over his face for proclaiming Osuna's remorsefulness, when Osuna's own attorney told the press he isn't exactly remorseful about the act for which he's accused. That attorney said, and I quote: My client is not remorseful of being guilty of any criminal activity. He's obviously remorseful of the circumstances. I would say he is remorseful for the circumstances in which he finds himself. He isn’t admitting the allegations. He definitely is remorseful in the sense that the circumstances are what they are. None of which suggests Osuna is in the clear or thinks himself in the clear, particularly since he continues to plan pleading not guilty when the case returns to court next month.

And before anybody thinks about playing whatabout regarding this versus, say, a player coming off a suspension involving drugs, keep in mind: A drug abuser hurts himself first. (The dirty little secret of baseball's scandal involving actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances is that most of the players involved in them didn't see considerable statistical spikes and many of those actually saw statistical drops during the times they were believed to have used them. And, yes, you can look it up.) An accused woman beater is being accused of hurting a woman first.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
@EasyAce

I should have done a bit more proof reading before I sent my last response.

I meant to say,"I can't fathom the reason behind it".

Lance McCullers also expressed his displeasure with the Osuna deal.
Add mine, too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:19:41 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2018, 11:39:55 pm »
@EasyAce

I should have done a bit more proof reading before I sent my last response.

I meant to say,"I can't fathom the reason behind it".

Lance McCullers also expressed his displeasure with the Osuna deal.
Add mine, too.
@GrouchoTex
I figured that was what you meant!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2018, 04:08:48 pm »
Verlander strikes out 14 in the Astros win over the Dodgers last night, 2-1.
Verlaner went 7-2/3rds for the win.
Only 4 hits for both teams, with the Dodgers only run coming on a Peterson lead-off home run.
Springer knocked in the Astros 2 runs.
Rondon closed it, a 4 out save.
Dodgers 1st baseman  Muncey looks like he'll be fun to watch in the future, already tearing the cover off the ball this year.
No Correa or Altuve this series for the Astros.