Author Topic: Trump pulls brakes on $13B Obama-backed rail-tunnel plan  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump pulls brakes on $13B Obama-backed rail-tunnel plan
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:12:36 pm »
Trump pulls brakes on $13B Obama-backed rail-tunnel plan
Fox News, Dec 31, 2017, Bedford Betz

An Obama-era plan to have the federal government finance half of a $13 billion rail tunnel project ran into a red light Friday from the Trump administration.

The plan, proposed under President Barack Obama in 2015, includes revitalizing a deteriorating Amtrak tunnel connecting New Jersey to New York City, repairing damage to a dual-tunnel conduit, and reconstructing the New Jersey railroad network’s aging Portal Bridge, Crain’s New York Business reported.

The original Obama-era plan called for costs to be split among New York state, New Jersey and the federal government.  But in a letter Friday, the Trump administration notified New York and New Jersey that the Obama-era deal was now "non-existent" because the states recently requested that their portions be covered by loans from the federal government -- meaning Washington would supply all of the initial funding for what the Trump White House is calling "a local project."

More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/31/trump-pulls-brakes-on-13b-obama-backed-rail-tunnel-plan.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump pulls brakes on $13B Obama-backed rail-tunnel plan
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »
It is only right.  The overwhelming benefit is to the states of New Jersey and New York, not the other 48 states.

Let them pay for it.

Trump is getting us back to a Republic where the states are individually sovereign to decide themselves what is best for them with limited federal interference.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »
Excellent!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »

I watched Trump being interviewed by Jesse Watters yesterday.  Quite complimentary of the big 0. 

But, I'm very glad he pulled the plug on this project.  I don't give a darn how New Yorkers and New Jerseyites get around and I sure don't want to pay for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:36:02 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
$13 billion dollars for a couple of tunnels?  Sounds like another union slush fund to me. 

This is why I'm nervous about Trump's infrastructure proposal...or any other such project for example.  Who knows where the money is really going?  And no one seems able to justify the hefty price tag.  A number is thrown out and we taxpayers are supposed to just foot the bill without questioning where the money is going.

BassWrangler

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »
$13 billion dollars for a couple of tunnels?  Sounds like another union slush fund to me. 

This is why I'm nervous about Trump's infrastructure proposal...or any other such project for example.  Who knows where the money is really going?  And no one seems able to justify the hefty price tag.  A number is thrown out and we taxpayers are supposed to just foot the bill without questioning where the money is going.

Regardless of where they say the money is going, we should all remember what happened with the last “infrastructure” bill (aka “porkulus”); the money was used to fund already funded state projects, and the states then took the money saved and applied it to other stuff - shoring up public employee pension programs, mostly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:01:18 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:26:45 pm »
Is there some reason you cannot comment on this action by Trump without bringing in all kinds of unrelated possibilities.  I like that he did this.

OK, Emjay, that photo is weird.

But, for related comments, if we're worried about one federal infrastructure plan, we should be worried about another one.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:15 pm »
It is only right.  The overwhelming benefit is to the states of New Jersey and New York, not the other 48 states.

Let them pay for it.

Trump is getting us back to a Republic where the states are individually sovereign to decide themselves what is best for them with limited federal interference.

Remember that when he rolls out his $1T infrastructure plan.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:33:23 pm »

I love the expression on Eric's face...in context.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:10 pm »

I love that meme.  Stolen and saved to hard drive for later use.....

:happyny:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »
OK, Emjay, that photo is weird.

But, for related comments, if we're worried about one federal infrastructure plan, we should be worried about another one.

That photo is interesting.  It has a romanticized picture of Trump and an accurate one of Melania.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 09:00:06 pm »
That photo is interesting.  It has a romanticized picture of Trump and an accurate one of Melania.

That's interesting, because Kelly McGillis is a lesbian.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump administration shuts down $13 billion Obama-era Amtrak plan
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 12:06:29 am »
Trump administration shuts down $13 billion Obama-era Amtrak plan
by Kelly Cohen | Dec 31, 2017, 3:50 PM

The Trump administration has shut down a $13 billion federal spending plan to rebuild an Amtrak project between New York and New Jersey.

According to a letter obtained by Crain’s New York Business, the administration called the deal proposed by former President Barack Obama — which would have been half paid for by the federal government — “non-existent.”

“Your letter also references a non-existent '50/50' agreement between [the Department of Transportation], New York, and New Jersey. There is no such agreement," wrote Federal Transit Administration deputy administrator K. Jane Williams in a Friday letter. “We consider it unhelpful to reference a non-existent 'agreement' rather than directly address the responsibility for funding a local project where nine out of 10 passengers are local transit riders.”

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-administration-shuts-down-13-billion-obama-era-amtrak-plan/article/2644677
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Trump administration shuts down $13 billion Obama-era Amtrak plan
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:15 am »
Again, props when they are due. They are do now. Good job, Mr. President.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:55 am »
“Your letter also references a non-existent '50/50' agreement between [the Department of Transportation], New York, and New Jersey. There is no such agreement," wrote Federal Transit Administration deputy administrator K. Jane Williams in a Friday letter. “We consider it unhelpful to reference a non-existent 'agreement' rather than directly address the responsibility for funding a local project where nine out of 10 passengers are local transit riders.”

That's gonna leave a mark.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 12:18:58 am »
Good.   Now maybe they can use the money to rebuild the bridges.

In Minnesota when the leftist government there decided to build a light rail to the Mall of America (with money allotted for bridge repair), it resulted in the collapse of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi and multiple deaths.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:19:27 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 12:31:52 am »
Good.   Now maybe they can use the money to rebuild the bridges.

In Minnesota when the leftist government there decided to build a light rail to the Mall of America (with money allotted for bridge repair), it resulted in the collapse of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi and multiple deaths.

I thought that was Bush's fault?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 12:36:45 am »
Topics merged.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:41:44 am »
I thought that was Bush's fault?

That's what the Dems in Minnesota who actually caused the collapse were screaming.

Then again, everything everywhere was and is Bush's fault......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:45:28 am »
That's what the Dems in Minnesota who actually caused the collapse were screaming.

Then again, everything everywhere was and is Bush's fault......

Thought it was Trumps fault.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:48:55 am »
Thought it was Trumps fault.

Nobody in their right mind ever thought he would be President when that bridge collapsed.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:24 am »
Nobody in their right mind ever thought he would be President when that bridge collapsed.

Ok so we've found ONE thing that isn't Trumps fault.   Nice way to end the year.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.