Author Topic: Go Now to Shiloh  (Read 390 times)

rangerrebew

Go Now to Shiloh
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:41:56 pm »

Winter 2018
Go Now to Shiloh

By Scott Stripling and Suzanne Lattimer   Wed, Dec 13, 2017

Archaeologists are beginning to shed renewed light on an ancient site -- where, according to the biblical account, the tabernacle for the Ark of the Covenant may have once stood.

"'Go now to the place in Shiloh where I first made a dwelling for my Name, and see what I did to it because of the wickedness of my people Israel.” — Jeremiah 7:12

Numerous questions remain unanswered. Was the site [Shiloh] practically unoccupied during the Bronze Age, or did the Israelites occupy a site already sacred? When did they take it, during the Bronze Age, or at the beginning of Early Iron? This is another of the sites, which, like Ai and Jericho, can assist in determining the date and character of the Hebrew conquest. Was the place unoccupied during the Middle and Late Iron Ages, that is after the loss of the Ark? And was it destroyed by the Philistines, or did it gradually fall into ruins after the loss of the Ark? — McCown, Chester C. “Archaeological News.” American Journal of Archaeology 34, no. 1 (1930): 96.

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2018/article/go-now-to-shiloh