Author Topic: The GOP tax overhaul kept this $1,300 tax break for seniors  (Read 561 times)

Online libertybele

The GOP tax overhaul kept this $1,300 tax break for seniors
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:31:44 pm »
The GOP tax overhaul kept this $1,300 tax break for seniors

* GOP bill doubles standard deduction to $12,000 for singles,  $24,000 for married couples.
* Individuals over 65 or blind -- and married -- can claim at least $1,300 more in deductions.
* The break is $1,600 for singles.

Seniors can still grab this tax break under the new tax law: the additional standard deduction.

The "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," which President Donald Trump signed into law on Dec. 22, doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for single filers and $24,000 for joint filers who are married.

The legislation also leaves intact the additional standard deduction for filers who are 65 and over or blind, allowing them to claim an additional $1,300 when they file their 2018 taxes.

This means that two married taxpayers who are both over 65 can lower their taxable income by an extra $2,600.

Single filers who are blind or over 65 are eligible for a $1,600 additional standard deduction, on top of the $12,000 they get from the new tax law.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/22/the-gop-tax-overhaul-kept-this-1300-tax-break-for-seniors.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: The GOP tax overhaul kept this $1,300 tax break for seniors
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:37:39 pm »
Great...for me   :patriot:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:23 am »
Great...for me   :patriot:

So far....however, rumors are floating around that he's going to revamp SS, Medicare and Medicaid.  I realize the system can't sustain as is (or say they tell us), but imagine IF Trump and the GOP somehow keep benefits for those 60 and over or 55 and over and make it to where our kids will actually get $$ that they've been paying into the system.  Taking people's money while telling them that the pot that they are forced to put into is not going to exist for them is out and out stealing!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:57 am »
So far....however, rumors are floating around that he's going to revamp SS, Medicare and Medicaid.  I realize the system can't sustain as is (or say they tell us), but imagine IF Trump and the GOP somehow keep benefits for those 60 and over or 55 and over and make it to where our kids will actually get $$ that they've been paying into the system.  Taking people's money while telling them that the pot that they are forced to put into is not going to exist for them is out and out stealing!!

You mean going with Ryan’s plan for reforming entitlements?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:33:00 am »
"The break is $1,600 for singles."

Really?
That's great news.

Lemmeesseee here....

I put together my own spreadsheet trying to see if I'd derive any extra benefit from the tax cuts. I'm retired and will deliberately keep my gross under 60,000.

With [what I thought was] the 1,300 exemption, I'm estimating I could save around $950 or so (very rough estimate).

But with a 1,600 exemption, it's $988. Even better!