Author Topic: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices  (Read 8485 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »
@libertybele

Damn.  I feel so left out.  No streaming speed, no Prime.  And I don’t live in a swamp—-I live two minutes from a state highway.

When you have to make returns, do you pay return shipping costs?

You have to be a little careful with that.  Most items you don't, but some you do. It tells you upfront if returns are free, but sometimes I forget to look.

Silver Pines

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »
It was a large target.

@WineNot

You’ll never know.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »
@WineNot

You’ll never know.

I'll never know the taste of the highly toxic, colorless, bitter, crystalline alkaloid Strychnine either.

I can live with that.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2017, 03:04:48 pm »
@Oceander

I pay Amazon a hefty sum every year to have Prime.  I figured that pays for postage, even if it is reduced for them by the post office (and reduced for other companies).  If one doesn't have Prime, one pays the postage for every package.  I buy almost everything I need/want there, so I likely save on postage by having Prime.

@Victoria33

Large corporate mail rooms...even small businesses get a discount on bulk mailing from the Post Office ...that's happened for decades. Hell you can even buy postage machines and out your own postage on your mail before you take it to the mailbox to be sent.

At the end of the day...this has more to do with the Bezos owned Washington Post and the negativity printed within it's pages about Trump and his administration than it does with a postal service that should have been privatized decades ago.

So instead of attacking the WaPo/Bezos directly...Trump took an unnecessary shot at Amazon.

It was a clumsy broadside.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
The USPS is an odd entity anyway. Not really private, not funded by taxes, yet postal rates are under the control of congress.

The solution is to cut congress completely out of the loop.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2017, 05:08:40 pm »
It was a clumsy broadside.

Bingo.  The whole thread in one sentence.  It was an ignorant remark that Trump made that ignores the reality that Amazon has been moving away from USPS for years.  It is no longer the first shipper of choice for Amazon fulfilled merchandise.  AMZL (Amazon) is.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2017, 05:13:13 pm »
The USPS is an odd entity anyway. Not really private, not funded by taxes, yet postal rates are under the control of congress.

The solution is to cut congress completely out of the loop.

I think so.  The original concept of the Post Office was to ensure important documents could be delivered to and from every nook and cranny of a new country.   Didn't you once say you have to pick your mail up at the Post Office, but UPS comes to your house?   

Sounds to me like the 21st Century has obviated that original principle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2017, 05:15:01 pm »
I think so.  The original concept of the Post Office was to ensure important documents could be delivered to and from every nook and cranny of a new country.   Didn't you once say you have to pick your mail up at the Post Office, but UPS comes to your house?   

I don't think I've mailed a single thing this year.  I've UPS'ed a couple and done email for everything else. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »
@libertybele

Damn.  I feel so left out.  No streaming speed, no Prime.  And I don’t live in a swamp—-I live two minutes from a state highway.

When you have to make returns, do you pay return shipping costs?

I have returned only a couple of items  that I ordered through Amazon and have paid no return shipping costs.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2017, 05:24:36 pm »

I have to pick my mail up at the PO which is pretty common in small towns. It happens less and less frequently but UPS used to deliver many or my packages to the post office.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »
I don't think I've mailed a single thing this year.  I've UPS'ed a couple and done email for everything else.

I have all my bill payment due notifications sent to me electronically via email and I pay all of them on-line. I go to my mail box about once a week and pretty much walk all the junk mail I receive strait to the recycling container. I don’t even get magazines anymore and I don’t send nor do I receive any Christmas cards and haven’t for years. The USPS could shut down tomorrow and I would hardly notice the difference except for not having to empty my mail box of the junk mail or have to redistribute the mail belonging to my neighbors that was mistakenly put in my mail box and visa versa.

The last time I had to mail anything was for a past due medical lab bill, that I never received because they had mailed it to the wrong address and the collector didn’t have an on-line bill pay option. I had to write a check and mail it. It was sort of funny because it had been so long since I had actually written a check, I had to think a bit about how to do it. Then I looked for a stamp and realized I didn’t have any, nor any envelopes. So I had to go a PO during my lunch break, buy an envelope and a single stamp.  That was at least two years ago.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2017, 05:34:54 pm »
I have all my bill payment due notifications sent to me electronically via email and I pay all of them on-line. I go to my mail box about once a week and pretty much walk all the junk mail I receive strait to the recycling container. I don’t even get magazines anymore and I don’t send nor do I receive any Christmas cards and haven’t for years. The USPS could shut down tomorrow and I would hardly notice the difference except for not having to empty my mail box of the junk mail or have to redistribute the mail belonging to my neighbors that was mistakenly put in my mail box and visa versa.

The last time I had to mail anything was for a past due medical lab bill, that I never received because they had mailed it to the wrong address and the collector didn’t have an on-line bill pay option. I had to write a check and mail it. It was sort of funny because it had been so long since I had actually written a check, I had to think a bit about how to do it. Then I looked for a stamp and realized I didn’t have any, nor any envelopes. So I had to go a PO during my lunch break, buy an envelope and a single stamp.  That was at least two years ago.

A couple years ago I cracked open my checkbook and showed Mrs. Liberty the Register.  Five checks in a row to the IRS, each on April 15 of a different year.  I guess I don't write many these days...lol.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2017, 05:39:14 pm »

I'm assuming you've had no problems with bill-pay on line or on-line banking?  My computer was compromised and I had to have my computer repaired, change our bank accounts and all our direct deposits and debits.  What a pain.  No way will I do on-line banking and bill pay.  We also have Lifelock and they proved to be totally worthless ... they told me that I needed to call the 3 major credit reporting companies and put a hold on our credit, etc.  I have called Lifelock on several occasions and not once did they do anything to assist me.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2017, 05:42:39 pm »
Bingo.  The whole thread in one sentence.  It was an ignorant remark that Trump made that ignores the reality that Amazon has been moving away from USPS for years.  It is no longer the first shipper of choice for Amazon fulfilled merchandise.  AMZL (Amazon) is.

And Amazon will soon be pulling away from using UPS as their preferred shipper as well.  They've started their own cargo airline Amazon Air...based at the Cincinnati airport and they have a fleet of 32 Boeing 767 freighters with 8 on order.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2017, 06:01:46 pm »
I'm assuming you've had no problems with bill-pay on line or on-line banking?  My computer was compromised and I had to have my computer repaired, change our bank accounts and all our direct deposits and debits.  What a pain.  No way will I do on-line banking and bill pay.  We also have Lifelock and they proved to be totally worthless ... they told me that I needed to call the 3 major credit reporting companies and put a hold on our credit, etc.  I have called Lifelock on several occasions and not once did they do anything to assist me.
No. I’ve never any problems with on-line bill paying. I like it because it is quick and easy and I get a near immediate email confirmation that I paid it. I also use a firewall and an antivirus program on my computer and keep my Windows and browser programs up to date, allowing the security updates. And FWIW I never click on any link in any email. When I pay my bills on line I always used the link I’ve book marked and I change my passwords frequently. I also log on to my bank account every day or two and can easily see if there is any suspicious activity. I also have alerts on both of my two credit cards so that any time a charge is made I get an email or txt message. In fact, a couple of times I’ve used my credit card to purchase gas and by the time I get back into my car, I see a txt message altering me to the purchase I just made.

The only time there was attempted fraud, my bank debit/credit card number had been compromised, I got a txt and then a telephone call from my bank questioning the charge. Someone had used my debit card number to charge a $1 purchase at some sporting goods store in CA and my bank froze the transaction and flagged it as suspicious. After I confirmed I hadn’t made the purchase, they canceled my debit card but fortunately with that bank, all I had to do was go to my nearest branch and they were able to give me a new card and new number on the spot.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline libertybele

« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »
No. I’ve never any problems with on-line bill paying. I like it because it is quick and easy and I get a near immediate email confirmation that I paid it. I also use a firewall and an antivirus program on my computer and keep my Windows and browser programs up to date, allowing the security updates. And FWIW I never click on any link in any email. When I pay my bills on line I always used the link I’ve book marked and I change my passwords frequently. I also log on to my bank account every day or two and can easily see if there is any suspicious activity. I also have alerts on both of my two credit cards so that any time a charge is made I get an email or txt message. In fact, a couple of times I’ve used my credit card to purchase gas and by the time I get back into my car, I see a txt message altering me to the purchase I just made.

The only time there was attempted fraud, my bank debit/credit card number had been compromised, I got a txt and then a telephone call from my bank questioning the charge. Someone had used my debit card number to charge a $1 purchase at some sporting goods store in CA and my bank froze the transaction and flagged it as suspicious. After I confirmed I hadn’t made the purchase, they canceled my debit card but fortunately with that bank, all I had to do was go to my nearest branch and they were able to give me a new card and new number on the spot.

Your'e faring for better than we. We also have/had anti-virus, firewalls and kept Windows and browsers up to date.  It just wasn't enough...or perhaps I haven't been careful enough. Our credit card companies have been pretty good about calling us about suspicious activity on our credit cards, but I've had to shut down my cards and have new cards re-issued twice in the past year.  We've had to shut down our bank accounts and open up new accounts twice now - it's a royal pain as it affects all of our direct deposits and debits.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2017, 06:25:18 pm »

Same here.  I love online paying - I've got a clear electronic record, bills are paid on time, and they always go to the right place.

I have had a couple of attempts made to use my account, but my bank is very good and stays on top of things. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:47 pm »
I have had a couple of attempts made to use my account, but my bank is very good and stays on top of things.

I've had one and thankfully, the bank was on it.  There was a strange transaction from some charity out of Chicago.  They had deducted one penny, then reversed it.  My bank froze the account and debit card, the sent me a notification.  Apparently, some unscrupulous places will attempt a very small transaction, then hit you with a big one when they see it clear.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2007/07/watch-your-bank-account-ach-penny.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:34:48 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DB

« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:15 pm »

I've been doing online banking since about 1989 before the internet. You dialed in with a phone modem. I've never had my account compromised (knock on wood...). Over that time I've had my credit card compromised a couple of times and had to have it replaced and update all the services that used it. The credit card breaches had nothing to do with home banking. That's it.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2018, 01:05:56 am »
All this chatter about UPS.

I can't understand why anyone would bother with them when for a few percent more you can get it done with FedEx.

I haven't used UPS since my first experience with FedEx 30 years ago, nor will I ever go back.

Far Superior Service. Well worth the tiny diff in price.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2018, 01:10:41 am »
Far Superior Service.

Might have something to do with being non-union.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2018, 01:15:19 am »
Its hard to believe we have a president who doesn't seem to know that the USPS can't just hike prices at will. In fact I suspect congress had to approve any deal between the USPS and Amazon.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2018, 01:24:01 am »
Just don't try to ship anything expensive with USPS.  Collecting on their insurance is horrendous with them constantly rejecting claims.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:04 am »
Its hard to believe we have a president who doesn't seem to know that the USPS can't just hike prices at will. In fact I suspect congress had to approve any deal between the USPS and Amazon.

From what I read I don't think Congress would have had to approve the deal with Amazon.  Congress did make a law that USPS wasn't allowed to charge a lower price than what would turn a profit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2018, 02:11:04 am »
Just don't try to ship anything expensive with USPS.  Collecting on their insurance is horrendous with them constantly rejecting claims.

"Whadaya mean the Goblet was worth a hundred bucks?  It wasn't worth nothin', it was broken."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:11:22 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.