Author Topic: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 05:00:51 pm »
Details released on Detroit's massive pitch to land second Amazon headquarters

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/details-released-on-detroit-s-massive-pitch-to-land-second-amazon-headquarters

The scope of the bid is breathtaking. "We're prime Amazon, and we're ready," was the pitch to CEO Jeff Bezos in 242 pages that read like a love letter from the city.

The bid promises a Detroit with millions of new square footage, not just for Amazon offices, but in residential and retail space. There would be expanded mass transit if they come, and even a ferry service between Amazon offices in Detroit and Windsor.

Gilbert sent a letter letting Amazon know the city offers three things its customers want: Low prices, big selection and fast delivery. It encompasses everything from real estate to talent.

In the shadow of Gilbert's Chase Tower, which Gilbert said he's ready to turn over to Amazon immediately should they decide to come to Detroit, the idea of Amazon's HQ2 is a thrilling prospect.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »
I don't think Trump wast to "crush Amazon," in fact I don't think he can if he wants to.  He is complaining about their relationship with the USPS here, and I think that's a doomed relationship anyway, having nothing to do with the actions of a narcissistic boob.  It's the market.  You order a lot of stuff from them, as do I.  How does it ship to you?  Who puts it on your porch?  USPS hardly ever handles items I get from them anymore.

At worst, this just shows he has a fundamental ignorance of how Amazon works in 2017.  I'm more concerned with the States trying to squeeze Sales Taxes out of the shipments, and increasing the end cost to you and me.  CA almost wiped out all the CA companies that use Amazon as a middle man to sell their goods.

That's probably just about right.  You can thank me for USPS no longer delivering many Amazon packages.  I'm pretty sure that all of my complaining to Amazon about every package that USPS (attempted) to deliver and Amazon refunding me a lot of money is why they started their own delivery business.  :laugh:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:41 pm »
Dittos.  We live in larger markets, @Cripplecreek lives in the sticks.  We can get a lot of stuff same-day, free if it's from the local Amazon shipping warehouse.
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, I can have one day delivery, too, due to Dallas having an Amazon facility.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2017, 05:09:34 pm »
@Cripplecreek That could be a big deal for Detroit.  The city has been coming back, and the proximity to Windsor has major international implications.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2017, 05:09:38 pm »
Same here.

I bought a left side master window and lock switch assembly for my car the other day for $19 and it was here the next day.

I wish I could make all my grocery shopping happen as easily as that.

Yep, plus there's a TON of stuff that I wouldn't normally have access to in local stores.  For example, my Hoover canister vacuum is going on about 20 years old.  We've replaced a lot of parts on it to keep it running, but I'm sure it's reaching the end of its life so I've been doing a lot of research on Amazon as to the best replacement for it.  If not for Amazon I would be stuck with whatever crap is offered at Walmart or Sears and without the benefit of a lot of other people having already bought the model and giving me reviews to base a decision on.  And when I finally make a decision on what to get I won't have to deal with any rude checkout person or a guy at the door checking my receipt to make sure I haven't stolen anything.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »
That's probably just about right.  You can thank me for USPS no longer delivering many Amazon packages.  I'm pretty sure that all of my complaining to Amazon about every package that USPS (attempted) to deliver and Amazon refunding me a lot of money is why they started their own delivery business.  :laugh:

My uncle has been looking into us starting a business to handle packages out here "in the sticks". Basically they would be delivered here and I would deliver them locally at specific times or I would hold packages for them to pick up between say 7 AM and 10 PM. Also there is the possibility of people leaving packages here to be shipped out via UPS.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
And all this time I thought she had a Tingle for a Pringle.
[/b]

@Cyber Liberty

My husband was an engineer with Honeywell and developed the process for all Pringles to be the same size.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »

Customer feedback is built int their business model, and I'd be willing to bet complaints like yours are driving the move away from USPS.  I've filed them too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2017, 05:17:39 pm »
Same here.

I bought a left side master window and lock switch assembly for my car the other day for $19 and it was here the next day.

I wish I could make all my grocery shopping happen as easily as that.

Are you in an Amazon Fresh market? If not, you can still do PrimePantry. I do Pantry every now and then, especially this time of year with the weather. I’ll order paper towels, tp, laundry detergent, bottled water, etc. so I don’t have to schlep in across the frozen tundra with three little kids in tow. My shopping trips become fresh food only, which is much easier to accomplish in -10 below temps.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2017, 05:19:38 pm »
I don't know why anyone would go out in the snow to shop for (and probably not find) Christmas presents for a big family and not use Amazon Prime and get exactly what you want and have it shipped to you in 2 days.

The convenience and thrift in using Amazon is unparalleled.

I agree that this is just personal with Trump, and he doesn't give a rip about capitalism or the needs of the American shopper.

Dumb move.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
@Cripplecreek That could be a big deal for Detroit.  The city has been coming back, and the proximity to Windsor has major international implications.

People are complaining that Rick Snyder has given big business the keys to Detroit and I say good on him. The positive transformation of Detroit in just a few years has been nothing short of astounding. All the empty buildings downtown are full again and Dan Gilbert is building a new skyscraper that will be taller than the Ren Cen.

Canada is paying the total cost of a new bridge over the Detroit River. (The Gordie Howe international trade crossing bridge) Detroit is the second busiest trade crossing on the continent.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »
I don't know why anyone would go out in the snow to shop for (and probably not find) Christmas presents for a big family and not use Amazon Prime and get exactly what you want and have it shipped to you in 2 days.

The convenience and thrift in using Amazon is unparalleled.

I agree that this is just personal with Trump, and he doesn't give a rip about capitalism or the needs of the American shopper.

Dumb move.

Yep. The kids picked out their gifts from the Mindware catalogue, then I went on Prime and ordered everything at lesser prices. Boxes showed up in two days and the kids had no idea what was inside. They didn’t even really notice since we receive Prime packages often.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »
People are complaining that Rick Snyder has given big business the keys to Detroit and I say good on him. The positive transformation of Detroit in just a few years has been nothing short of astounding. All the empty buildings downtown are full again and Dan Gilbert is building a new skyscraper that will be taller than the Ren Cen.

Canada is paying the total cost of a new bridge over the Detroit River. (The Gordie Howe international trade crossing bridge) Detroit is the second busiest trade crossing on the continent.

The people who are pissed at Snyder are the same people who drove the auto companies and their own jobs out of Detroit/Dearborn/Livonia (along with a bunch of other companies).  Now they don't even have the numbers to keep a Snyder out of office in Lansing.

Speaking of the GH Bridge, how's that coming along?  Are there cool pictures of construction?  I assume the entrance plaza issue has been cleared up.  If Amazon is planning their own ferry system I imagine all that is a side issue anyway....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:35:23 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 05:38:45 pm »
The people who are pissed at Snyder are the same people who drove the auto companies and their own jobs out of Detroit/Dearborn/Livonia (along with a bunch of other companies).  Now they don't even have the numbers to keep a Snyder out of office in Lansing.

Speaking of the GH Bridge, how's that coming along?  Are there cool pictures of construction?  I assume the entrance plaza issue has been cleared up.  If Amazon is planning their own ferry system I imagine all that is a side issue anyway....

I haven't seen any pics aside from land being cleared but I think construction begins in earnest in the spring.

Obama offered the $250 million for the plaza but only if Snyder would give 100 million to Detroit pension funds. Snyder told him to take a hike and said we would find another way.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »

Same here. I pay for Prime; I expect my two-day shipping to be reliable. I’m filing those customer complaints every time my order is a day or two late because USPS is delivering it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »
I haven't seen any pics aside from land being cleared but I think construction begins in earnest in the spring.

Obama offered the $250 million for the plaza but only if Snyder would give 100 million to Detroit pension funds. Snyder told him to take a hike and said we would find another way.

Typical Obastard deal.  "Bribe my friends and I'll give you money for the job, plus I'll make sure it comes in late and over budget."  Snyder was right to tell him to pound sand.  I'll bet that infuriated the same people as you mentioned before.  Good.

I have WILX (my old workplace) on my Bookface news feed, and every time a Snyder story comes up they go on a joy-inspiring scream/tears fest.  Makes it worth keeping the Follow going...lol :laugh: 
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »
Yep. The kids picked out their gifts from the Mindware catalogue, then I went on Prime and ordered everything at lesser prices. Boxes showed up in two days and the kids had no idea what was inside. They didn’t even really notice since we receive Prime packages often.

Our kids are older and none live anywhere near here, so when we get together for Christmas, they use their names and our address to ship their packages, I set them aside and when they get here they open them and wrap them.

It's amazingly easy and much cheaper than any other shopping.

This year our son in law is not healthy enough to travel, so we are having a late Christmas at our daughter's house, and I have sent my gifts to them via Amazon, my name, their address, and we'll open the boxes and wrap them up there.

The whole process is brilliant, and capitalism at its very best.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »

Had a similar problem when my longtime mailman retired.  For a while, I had a different mail person every day and I was never sure if my Amazon deliveries would come to me or someone else.  Once my package was supposedly delivered, but when I went out the front door to get it, it wasn't there.  Found it in my backyard.  I guess the delivery person didn't want to leave it on the front porch where it might be stolen.  Now I have a regular mail person and it looks like things are back to normal.

But because there is an Amazon distribution center somewhere nearby, most of my deliveries are coming through Amazon's delivery service now.  My last delivery was made by a young woman with 2 little kids in the car.  Mom was making some money and the drive was an adventure for the kids.  Win-Win.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
Trump again, scores. The best president since the 1800s.

The most pro-postal president ever, according to Concerned Mailmen Of America.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:57 pm »
Interesting.

The same people who worship at the feet of Amazon were the same ones who were most adamant about the supposed veracity of the Roy Moore smears.

Common thread? Jeff Bezos, who owns both Amazon and the Post.

Admit it: you are monarchists, and Bezos is your king.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
Interesting.

The same people who worship at the feet of Amazon were the same ones who were most adamant about the supposed veracity of the Roy Moore smears.

I take exception to that.  I like dealing with Amazon quite a bit, and I was one taking a lot of heat because I didn't think the Moore charges were proven.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
@musiclady

Amazon delivered two packages to me today.  One is three safety chains for bracelets.  I have three I was concerned the catch would come apart and fall off my wrist.  I have now put the chains on the bracelets and can wear them without fear I might lose them.  Didn't have to go to jewelry store and pay a fortune for these.

The other package is a book for Bob's birthday, January 14.  Guys, it is "Tactical Firearms - Training Secrets".  This is training one can do at home, not on the range.  It includes dry firing - we have plastic inserts for our personal weapons to not harm the weapon.  I think this is a superior book for such.  He will be totally surprised to get this (also got one for me).  Didn't have to go to book store and spend time, standing all the while, searching for such a book.

Both packages were two day shipping.  When Amazon started as a company with only books, I immediately used them.  I am a book person so I probably was the cause the company grew so fast.  :beer:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2017, 06:30:32 pm »
Interesting. The same people who worship at the feet of Amazon were the same ones who were most adamant about the supposed veracity of the Roy Moore smears. Common thread? Jeff Bezos, who owns both Amazon and the Post. Admit it: you are monarchists, and Bezos is your king.
@jmyriefuller

That's ridiculous.  I don't know who Bezos is, what he thinks, and don't give a flip.  I didn't even know his name until Trump threatened Amazon. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2017, 06:31:53 pm »
Interesting.

Wow.

That makes absolutely NO sense.

Are you OK, myrle??   :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »
@jmyriefuller

That's ridiculous.  I don't know who Bezos is, what he thinks, and don't give a flip.  I didn't even know his name until Trump threatened Amazon.

It's more than ridiculous.

It's downright bizarre.

Connecting liking the convenience and thrift of Amazon with Moore is strange.   How does a mind do that??

btw, I'm with you.  I didn't even know the name of Bezos.   Now I know he's a brilliant capitalist.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:34:32 pm by musiclady »