Author Topic: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices  (Read 8537 times)

Oceander

Re: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:11 pm »
Take is up with USPS if you think it's unfair.  Amazon is not the only business that gets a bulk rate discount.

No, I'm taking it up with the person who appears to believe that she is entitled to be subsidized.  That was the comment I was replying to.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »

No - he is our queen, promoting the not-so-secret gay agenda we want.  The clue is in the logo.

Funny you say that. I have always told people that the Amazon logo looks like a dick. After the initial shock and outrage over the statement, they agree to the point that now they see it every time the look at it after that.

It’s no coincidence the arrow is phallic and pointing to the letters that sound out ‘azz.’

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 09:13:10 pm »
No, I'm taking it up with the person who appears to believe that she is entitled to be subsidized.  That was the comment I was replying to.

If Amazon is offering it to their customers then she is entitled to is, being an Amazon customer.

Oceander

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2017, 09:15:18 pm »
If Amazon is offering it to their customers then she is entitled to is, being an Amazon customer.

No, she is not, because the subsidy is not solely a matter between her and Amazon - or are you under the mistaken belief that Amazon also ships first-class mail?

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
I don't know why anyone would go out in the snow to shop for (and probably not find) Christmas presents for a big family and not use Amazon Prime and get exactly what you want and have it shipped to you in 2 days.

The convenience and thrift in using Amazon is unparalleled.

I agree that this is just personal with Trump, and he doesn't give a rip about capitalism or the needs of the American shopper.

Dumb move.

I have 6 young great nieces, 4 who are eight years old - my niece’s triplets and my nephew’s oldest daughter and whose birthdays are a week apart, and my nieces’ nine-year-old whose birthday is two weeks earlier, and my nephews youngest who is six. Shopping for them on Amazon for their birthdays and for Christmas is a god send especially with the 8 and 9 year olds because we do a family Christmas and family birthday parties, the girls are close but also somewhat competitive so I make sure that I try to “even” it out so that one kid doesn’t seem to get a bigger or more expensive gift than the other. Now that they are older it is not such a big deal but it was a few years go.

Two years ago for Christmas I found outfits for all six girls in the same brand and all of a similar but slightly different style but in each of their favorite colors and in their sizes (even the triplets wear different sizes). And I got them all boots, sort of like Uggs but actually nicer and cheaper and silver animal necklaces, each girl getting a different animal that was their favorite.

If I would have tried to go to brick and mortar stores to get all those items, I would have gone insane. Amazon made it so much easier. And one outfit, when it arrived was in the wrong size but that was my mistake, but the return and credit and re-order was so easy.

I also have an older great niece and great nephew and get them Amazon gift cards. My eldest great niece is in grad school and uses it to buy books she needs for class and my great nephew used his along with the other Amazon gift cards he got that year to buy himself a new laptop.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2017, 09:19:29 pm »
No, she is not, because the subsidy is not solely a matter between her and Amazon - or are you under the mistaken belief that Amazon also ships first-class mail?

She doesn't have to negotiate rates with USPS for Amazon to ship her something; it is solely between her and Amazon as far as she is concerned.

Besides that, USPS is not allowed to offer rates that are not profitable for them, so how is a lower rate for Amazon packages subsidizing anything?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2017, 09:36:43 pm »

I think it's a moot point, because the customers don't like USPS anyway.  If the President could snap his fingers tomorrow and say "Full retail rate for all packages from Amazon" (he can't, BTW), Amazon would simply take what little business they do with USPS and give to either UPS (who's willing to offer a bulk discount) or do it themselves with AMZL.  It would harm USPS more than it would Amazon.

Read up and down the thread.  Lots of Amazon customers, very few receive their shipments via USPS.  Even @Cripplecreek living in the sticks gets all his from UPS.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 09:49:20 pm »
Amazon negotiated better shipping prices. Good for them and a big thank you from this Prime member. It makes my dollar go further. If it wasn’t for Amazon still using USPS, the antiquated system would probably be in even worse shape. Wasn’t Trump supposed to be so great because he’s a businessman?

He doesn't seem to realize that with our Prime membership we pay for lower shipping costs as part of that upgrade from a regular Amazon membership.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »
I have 6 young great nieces, 4 who are eight years old - my niece’s triplets and my nephew’s oldest daughter and whose birthdays are a week apart, and my nieces’ nine-year-old whose birthday is two weeks earlier, and my nephews youngest who is six. Shopping for them on Amazon for their birthdays and for Christmas is a god send especially with the 8 and 9 year olds because we do a family Christmas and family birthday parties, the girls are close but also somewhat competitive so I make sure that I try to “even” it out so that one kid doesn’t seem to get a bigger or more expensive gift than the other. Now that they are older it is not such a big deal but it was a few years go.

Two years ago for Christmas I found outfits for all six girls in the same brand and all of a similar but slightly different style but in each of their favorite colors and in their sizes (even the triplets wear different sizes). And I got them all boots, sort of like Uggs but actually nicer and cheaper and silver animal necklaces, each girl getting a different animal that was their favorite.

If I would have tried to go to brick and mortar stores to get all those items, I would have gone insane. Amazon made it so much easier. And one outfit, when it arrived was in the wrong size but that was my mistake, but the return and credit and re-order was so easy.

I also have an older great niece and great nephew and get them Amazon gift cards. My eldest great niece is in grad school and uses it to buy books she needs for class and my great nephew used his along with the other Amazon gift cards he got that year to buy himself a new laptop.

For me that's the bottom line.  If you had to go from store to store to find all the things you can buy with a click of the finger on Amazon, it would be an impossible task, and you would end up insane.   And you likely couldn't find half the stuff anyway.

The gift cards for adult children are terrific too.  I've started giving all my kids and their spouses Amazon gift cards for their birthdays because it's so much easier for them as well.

For Christmas, most of them want books, CD's and DVD's, and I would have to drive an hour to a larger city in order to even have placed to look for them.  I can buy books on neuroscience, theology, philosophy, history, music, anything without leaving the house.

As I said upthread, it's the greatest thing to ever happen to capitalism.

(I've noticed that the people who are the most enthused about Amazon are the people with the most gifts to buy.  I love buying the family something they really want and having the time to do it right).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2017, 10:01:32 pm »
He doesn't seem to realize that with our Prime membership we pay for lower shipping costs as part of that upgrade from a regular Amazon membership.

Good point.  I save a fortune with Prime, way more than it costs me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2017, 10:03:50 pm »
Good point.  I save a fortune with Prime, way more than it costs me.

Yep.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:11 pm »
Very good point. My Amazon Prime membership is a great bargain. I make full use of it.

--Free two day shipping on qualifying purchases.
--Streaming video content. Part of my "cut the $125 monthly cable" calculation (watched 2 excellent movies last week.)
--Music. (and the technology works such that the use of my "data" is minimal; far less than SiriusXM sat radio)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »

I just installed my Amazon TV Firestick today and have access to any video and TV available with my prime account.

Silver Pines

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:54 pm »
Just coming in on the tail end of this, but as someone whose husband works for USPS, they have a contract with UPS to deliver packages. 

My husband is out there from the morning hours until five in the afternoon with a jeep packed so full of boxes he can barely see out the rear mirror.  Trust me, USPS is delivering plenty of packages.

Silver Pines

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
I just installed my Amazon TV Firestick today and have access to any video and TV available with my prime account.

@Cripplecreek

Do you stream video?

I really want Amazon prime, but without streaming speeds, I guess the membership price wouldn't be worth it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:51 pm »
Just coming in on the tail end of this, but as someone whose husband works for USPS, they have a contract with UPS to deliver packages. 

My husband is out there from the morning hours until five in the afternoon with a jeep packed so full of boxes he can barely see out the rear mirror.  Trust me, USPS is delivering plenty of packages.

"SmartPost" I think is what it's called.  I got a lot of stuff that way.  The UPS tracker watches it all the way until the drop-off at the Post Office.  Even that has dropped off a lot with Amazon, but I attribute that to the fact I live in a large market.
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2017, 10:27:39 pm »
Interesting.

The same people who worship at the feet of Amazon were the same ones who were most adamant about the supposed veracity of the Roy Moore smears.

Common thread? Jeff Bezos, who owns both Amazon and the Post.

Admit it: you are monarchists, and Bezos is your king.

@jmyrlefuller

This is satire.

Isn't it...?

Silver Pines

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2017, 10:33:04 pm »
Amazon sucks.  It is a crutch for lazy people who won't get off their fat asses and go shopping.  Bezo's is a Taker.  Low wage payer, a smoker, a joker and a midnite toker who only cares about his own fat self.

@WineNot

In the immortal words of @Cripplecreek one night at TOS when somebody was complaining about the sex scenes on a TV show:  "Go fix a wagon wheel, Grandpa."

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »
"SmartPost" I think is what it's called.  I got a lot of stuff that way.  The UPS tracker watches it all the way until the drop-off at the Post Office.  Even that has dropped off a lot with Amazon, but I attribute that to the fact I live in a large market.

Smartpost and the UPS version called Surepost tax the USPS ability to be efficient.  Those poor bastard Carriers should be paid by the parcel.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2017, 10:38:52 pm »
LOL  You're stretching with the arrow, A to Z thing.

Stretching may help cure that 'Clinton Curve.'
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2017, 10:39:17 pm »
Smartpost and the UPS version called Surepost tax the USPS ability to be efficient.  Those poor bastard Carriers should be paid by the parcel.

Reminds me of the contract people who worked for the post office to deliver parcels for Amazon.  They hated it.  the last few things we got by SmartPost were from an auction site, "Everything but the House."  We got a crapton of baseball stuff from them.  We got stuff from UPS that weight a couple hundred pounds1
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2017, 10:50:27 pm »
"SmartPost" I think is what it's called.

Yes and during the downturn a few years back, I had to take a call center job.  It was the method the company used for free delivery when orders were under a certain dollar amount.  People always complained it didn't get there on time.  In every instance I ever tracked, it did.  The problem was the customers on the other end of the phone seemed to have a hard time understanding the definition of a business day.

Silver Pines

« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2017, 10:56:25 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

Yes, might be.  We're exploding down here, so mail delivery volume is increasing accordingly.

Offline edpc

« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:30 pm »
@Cyber LibertyYes, might be.  We're exploding down here, so mail delivery volume is increasing accordingly.

If Jeff ever gets his way, the sky will be full of Amazon drones.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »
@WineNot

In the immortal words of @Cripplecreek one night at TOS when somebody was complaining about the sex scenes on a TV show:  "Go fix a wagon wheel, Grandpa."

:silly:

Yeah I can laugh at my own insult when its funny.