Author Topic: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Trump targets Amazon in call for postal service to hike prices
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 05:31:41 am »
Amazon didn’t negotiate better rates; it’s taking advantage of a subsidy that shouldn’t be there.

In a few years it isn't going to matter.  Hardly anything I buy from the Bezos Empire comes in USPS anymore and that's great for me because they're the only shipper that doesn't provide tracking information.  In fact, less and less is coming via UPS, either.  Amazon is running their own delivery biz, and I've been liking it.  Alexa tells me it's been dropped off, I pull up the website and I see a picture of the package sitting on my porch, and the NSA guy who's been listening to me make disgusting noises by Alexa all day guards it for me until I drag my butt out of bed to fetch it.  Here's a pic:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:32:49 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline anubias

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 07:34:58 am »
The USPS has been destroyed by none other than the USPS and is, IMHO, beyond redemption.

Agreed.  I wish he’d do something about us subsidizing China EMS!  It costs more for an American to ship something from Dallas to Fort Worth than China to the US.  How are American businesses supposed to compete with that??

Now a deal with Amazon so that we’ll have to pay even higher postage?

Outrageous!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 08:50:52 am »
@Oceander
@CatherineofAragon
@ALL WHO DEPEND ON AMAZON FOR A BETTER LIFE

Anyone who messes with my Amazon is dirt.  Hence, Trump is dirt.
Without Amazon and their fast delivery, my life would be much worse, hence, my life is better with Amazon.  Hence, when someone messes with Amazon, they mess with me.  It is not good to mess with me.  Hence, dirt Trump better leave my Amazon alone.  In the Constitution, messing with Amazon is an impeachable offence - you can trust me, it's in there.  Screw with Amazon and this is what you get -  9999hair out0000

@Victoria33

I'm with you, Sister.  LOL

I'm an Amazon addict.  I buy a lot of stuff from there.  For people like me who can't always go to a store to buy things, Amazon is a lifesaver, a godsend. 

Trump is proving he is no friend to capitalism and hence, is no conservative Republican.  Why would he want to destroy an American business because he has a feud with the founder, who happens to own a media outlet he doesn't like?  I thought Trump wanted to make America great again.  You don't make America great by destroying a business, maybe putting people out of work and/or causing an increase in prices that maybe customers can't afford.  How does that make America great? 

I've been told Trump is a smart man.  Antics like this don't prove it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 10:07:04 am »
Time for some regulatin'

Offline dancer

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 01:04:52 pm »
Amazon didn’t negotiate better rates; it’s taking advantage of a subsidy that shouldn’t be there.
Amazon receives $1.46 subsidy on EVERY package.   :amen: 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »
Agreed.  I wish he’d do something about us subsidizing China EMS!  It costs more for an American to ship something from Dallas to Fort Worth than China to the US.  How are American businesses supposed to compete with that??

Now a deal with Amazon so that we’ll have to pay even higher postage?

Outrageous!

How would a deal with Amazon raise USPS rates?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
This Analyst Claims the U.S. Postal Service Is Giving Amazon a Huge Subsidy
http://fortune.com/2017/07/16/amazon-postal-service-subsidy/

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year (Title is slightly misleading IMO)
http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

Basically, it's none of Trump's bleep business, but yet another thing he feels the need to stick his nose into.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Trump: Post Office is dumb for giving Amazon such generous delivery rates
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »
I'm curious how either of these men know what effect the rates to Amazon are having.  They use cheap, contracted labor for Sunday deliveries, and I think the Amazon contract likely provides much needed revenue, albeit at reduced margin. But do we know it's at a loss?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 03:33:40 pm »
By the way, Amazon is not the only business that gets reduced rates.  Etsy sellers also receive slightly reduced rates for shipping.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Trump: Post Office is dumb for giving Amazon such generous delivery rates
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »
I'm curious how either of these men know what effect the rates to Amazon are having.  They use cheap, contracted labor for Sunday deliveries, and I think the Amazon contract likely provides much needed revenue, albeit at reduced margin. But do we know it's at a loss?

Congress made a law that requires the USPS to not charge less than their cost for shipping.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »
Topics merged

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 04:16:46 pm »
Still not over the flu yet?  You know, at this stage a Hot Toddy might be the best approach....I'll ask Alexa for the recipe.  I just got a couple of them from Amazon.  :tongue2:

I don't think what ails her is the flu.   The is abee in her bonnet and She's got the fever.  Trump Fever and it's runnin all upside her brain.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:17:15 pm by WineNot »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WingNot

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »
Time for some regulatin'

@Once-Ler
Who Runs BarterTown?

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
@Victoria33
I'm with you, Sister.  LOL  I'm an Amazon addict.  I buy a lot of stuff from there.  For people like me who can't always go to a store to buy things, Amazon is a lifesaver, a godsend.  Trump is proving he is no friend to capitalism and hence, is no conservative Republican.  Why would he want to destroy an American business because he has a feud with the founder, who happens to own a media outlet he doesn't like?  I thought Trump wanted to make America great again.  You don't make America great by destroying a business, maybe putting people out of work and/or causing an increase in prices that maybe customers can't afford.  How does that make America great? 
I've been told Trump is a smart man.  Antics like this don't prove it.
@Applewood

What Trump wants to do to Amazon explains his inner self:  Trump doesn't use Amazon, doesn't like the man who owns it, so he wants to crush it - that is a narcissistic trait - kill everyone else so you are the only one on the top.  In trying to get rid of Amazon and its owner, he doesn't think of other's needs for it - see, it is "me" that matters with him, not others.

I have a handicap hanger for my car due to my two knees, especially the right one, with little cartilage left in the joint of both knees.  The right one was operated in years past.  If I had to walk some distance from a parking lot into a store, I couldn't walk the store due to pain.  That pain in the right knee, is so bad after walking a distance, the knee buckles, can't stand/walk on it at all.  Short distances are okay, but not prolonged walking.

I can walk the aisles of Amazon all day long and not irritate the right knee so I can't walk.
Plus, I have customer comments that sometimes makes me not buy a certain item.  Their packages arrive in two days.  There is a large Amazon warehouse/building in Dallas and that is not far from me.  Maybe the stuff I order comes from there, I don't know, but it gets to my house fast.

Amazon deserves a Nobel Prize for helping people who can't walk stores, or who have no transportation, or suffered an accident that keeps them home - so many ways one can't get to a store and Amazon is right at their fingertips.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »
Amazon sucks.  It is a crutch for lazy people who won't get off their fat asses and go shopping.  Bezo's is a Taker.  Low wage payer, a smoker, a joker and a midnite toker who only cares about his own fat self.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 04:33:20 pm »
Amazon sucks.  It is a crutch for lazy people who won't get off their fat asses and go shopping.  Bezo's is a Taker.  Low wage payer, a smoker, a joker and a midnite toker who only cares about his own fat self.

Nonsense.  I would pay double the prices that Amazon charges just to avoid stepping foot into a Walmart.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »
I don't think what ails her is the flu.   The is abee in her bonnet and She's got the fever.  Trump Fever and it's runnin all upside her brain.

And all this time I thought she had a Tingle for a Pringle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »
@WineNot

Your post to me wants to get me to fight with you.  I'm putting you on Ignore right now and won't answer any stupid post from you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2017, 04:45:35 pm »
Virtually everything I order through Amazon comes by way of UPS.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »
@Applewood

What Trump wants to do to Amazon explains his inner self:  Trump doesn't use Amazon, doesn't like the man who owns it, so he wants to crush it - that is a narcissistic trait - kill everyone else so you are the only one on the top.  In trying to get rid of Amazon and its owner, he doesn't think of other's needs for it - see, it is "me" that matters with him, not others.

I don't think Trump wast to "crush Amazon," in fact I don't think he can if he wants to.  He is complaining about their relationship with the USPS here, and I think that's a doomed relationship anyway, having nothing to do with the actions of a narcissistic boob.  It's the market.  You order a lot of stuff from them, as do I.  How does it ship to you?  Who puts it on your porch?  USPS hardly ever handles items I get from them anymore.

At worst, this just shows he has a fundamental ignorance of how Amazon works in 2017.  I'm more concerned with the States trying to squeeze Sales Taxes out of the shipments, and increasing the end cost to you and me.  CA almost wiped out all the CA companies that use Amazon as a middle man to sell their goods.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 04:49:30 pm »
Nonsense.  I would pay double the prices that Amazon charges just to avoid stepping foot into a Walmart.

Same here.

I bought a left side master window and lock switch assembly for my car the other day for $19 and it was here the next day.

I wish I could make all my grocery shopping happen as easily as that.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »

@Cripplecreek

My deliveries are either an Amazon truck or a guy/any guy, in a car.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 04:50:01 pm »

And in the larger markets, it's AMZL, their own shipping company.  The customers don't like Amazon using USPS, and they complain.  There's no tracking information available, it just shows up when it arrives.  Expected delivery dates are only estimates.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »
@Cripplecreek

My deliveries are either an Amazon truck or a guy/any guy, in a car.

Dittos.  We live in larger markets, @Cripplecreek lives in the sticks.  We can get a lot of stuff same-day, free if it's from the local Amazon shipping warehouse.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 04:56:52 pm »
Dittos.  We live in larger markets, @Cripplecreek lives in the sticks.  We can get a lot of stuff same-day, free if it's from the local Amazon shipping warehouse.

My sister in Livonia gets same day delivery because Livonia has a hub.

Detroit is pulling out all the stops in their attempt to attract an Amazon HQ.