Author Topic: Confusion reigns as people try to figure out property tax rules  (Read 608 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Confusion reigns as people try to figure out property tax rules
« on: December 29, 2017, 02:29:10 am »
Confusion reigns as people try to figure out property tax rules
By Naomi Jagoda - 12/28/17 04:58 PM EST

Confusion is reigning in cities and suburbs with high property taxes as homeowners weigh prepaying their 2018 property taxes in order to avoid a bigger bill once the Trump cuts take effect.

Taxpayers worried that they’ll lose out because of a new $10,000 limit on state and local tax deductions, including property taxes, are scrambling to pay their 2018 property taxes in 2017 so that they can deduct the full amount before the tax changes go into effect.

Elected officials in places such as New York and Washington, D.C., have been highlighting the prepayment option. In some communities, long lines have formed outside of government offices so that people can prepay.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/366719-confusion-reigns-as-people-try-to-figure-out-property-tax-rules
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Confusion reigns as people try to figure out property tax rules
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:49:32 am »
The City of Pittsburgh is allowing prepayment, but where I live, the tax bills don't come out till spring.  So I can't prepay even if I want to.   My town's tax office consists of one guy who works part time.  He probably isn't even working this week because of the holidays.  And I can't see myself going to the tax office in this cold weather,.  Not worth it.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:33 am »
It is really wrong to have to pay taxes on money used for paying taxes. You're paying taxes twice on the same money that was taken from you.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:36 pm »
It is really wrong to have to pay taxes on money used for paying taxes. You're paying taxes twice on the same money that was taken from you.

Nothing new about that - SS and medicare taxes also get taxed as federal, state and local income, then taxed again at federal level when you get it back...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA