Author Topic: People are ditching Subway, and franchisees expect a wave of store closures — here's what went wrong  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Applewood

People are ditching Subway, and franchisees expect a wave of store closures — here's what went wrong

Subway is in serious trouble.

The world's largest restaurant chain is being left behind as consumers seek healthier, fresher food and as competitors offer them better options. Franchisees are protesting its promotions, and some are complaining about the quality of its products.

The chain is also struggling with oversaturation and internal conflict, making a quick turnaround difficult and more store closures likely in 2018.

The sandwich chain's US store count has dropped by 909 this year, almost three times as many locations as the year before. Subway has 25,835 shops open and operating in the US, according to a representative, compared with 26,744 at the end of 2016.

But this year could just be the tip of the iceberg for Subway's closures.

Excerpt -- read more at:

http://www.businessinsider.com/subways-closes-stores-spirals-downwards-2017-12

Offline anubias

Years ago, they baked their bread in-store.  They also cut out the center chunk making for a tastier sandwich with less bread.  They stopped making better sandwiches while better competition popped up all over the place.  They chose to continue down the road of crappier sandwiches.  Pretty much a no-brainer that they would eventually go under to me.

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, their food generally sucks and has for a long time.  Probably 17 years ago my then future FIL gave my dog a meatball out of his Subway sub.  About 12 hours later the dog barfed it up whole.  That dog had a cast iron gut and one time literally ate a whole tin of sardines, including the tin, and passed it with minimal issue.  What does that say about the "meat" in the meatball sub?

Offline anubias

Yeah, their food generally sucks and has for a long time.  Probably 17 years ago my then future FIL gave my dog a meatball out of his Subway sub.  About 12 hours later the dog barfed it up whole.  That dog had a cast iron gut and one time literally ate a whole tin of sardines, including the tin, and passed it with minimal issue.  What does that say about the "meat" in the meatball sub?

:silly:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
:silly:

Some tests have been done on subway meats and found they were about 60% soy.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

I know someone, a relative of my deceased husband, who would only eat at Subway plus one other place.  His other place he loved was the cafeteria at his local hospital (he didn't work there).  He and his wife would go to the hospital as their really fine place to eat (his opinion).  Yes, he is strange and strange in a number of ways.  One is, he never stops talking.  He doesn't live near me now, thank goodness.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:45:05 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Applewood

Some tests have been done on subway meats and found they were about 60% soy.

Well, it's better than the pink slime Taco Bell used.  I don't know what that was made of. 

Subway used to have everything fresh -- meats, veggies, bread, etc.  Now, according to the article, nothing is fresh.  I'm sure that has made a difference. 

One thing I noticed about the Subways in my area is that they all seem to be owned and operated by immigrants.  Nothing wrong with a legal immigrant running a successful business and trying to get ahead.  But it seems that most of these franchisees and their employees don't speak good English.  One woman at a nearby Subway has a thick Eastern European or Russian accent.  I can't understand her and I don't think she understands me.  I thought it might have been the result of my hearing loss, but others have complained abut her too.  Sometimes I have no idea what's going to be on sandwich I ordered till I open it up to eat it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I used to go to a local Subway shop every day to eat one of their 6 inch long flatbread wheat egg sandwiches.  I loved them. The reason I quit going was they jacked their prices up over a dollar for the same meal. Even before they raised the prices I could go to Hardees and have a sausage and egg biscuit,senior soda,and senior coffee $1.50 cheaper than the subway sandwich that didn't have sausages and didn't include coffee. IIRC, the price for the same breakfast increased by around $1.25 overnight.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
When they started putting stores in every Gas Stations on every corner and cut the Stand Alones meatballs I stopped patronizing them.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Years ago, they baked their bread in-store.  They also cut out the center chunk making for a tastier sandwich with less bread.  They stopped making better sandwiches while better competition popped up all over the place.  They chose to continue down the road of crappier sandwiches.  Pretty much a no-brainer that they would eventually go under to me.

They don't bake the bread in the store anymore?  I guess that shows how long it's been since I've been in one.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My local Subway closed a year ago and a wonderful fast food Mexican mom and pop restaurant went in.

I can get great subs at my local pizza restaurant

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Central Cali Subway stores still bake bread in store.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
When they started putting stores in every Gas Stations on every corner and cut the Stand Alones meatballs I stopped patronizing them.

QFT

They cut their own nutz off and the stand-a-lone owners at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:29:58 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."