Author Topic: Trump predicts GOP will work with Dems 'for the good of the country'  (Read 1856 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump predicts GOP will work with Dems 'for the good of the country'

By LOUIS NELSON

12/22/2017 08:55 AM EST

President Donald Trump suggested Friday that Republicans and Democrats who have been at odds over nearly every major policy issue this year might soon come together on an infrastructure plan “for the good of the country.”

“At some point, and for the good of the country, I predict we will start working with the Democrats in a Bipartisan fashion,” the president wrote on Twitter Friday morning. “Infrastructure would be a perfect place to start. After having foolishly spent $7 trillion in the Middle East, it is time to start rebuilding our country!”

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/22/trump-republicans-democrats-bipartisan-314484
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump predicts GOP will work with Dems 'for the good of the country'
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:25:11 pm »
Nothing good comes from working with the Dems.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 04:32:22 pm »

Not now for sure!  The Democrats have gone full blown Communist and the ONLY thing to do with them "for the good of the country" is to pound them into dust!  Politically speaking of course.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »
The optics point out that the Dems are not currently working with them.  “Rebuilding our infrastructure” is especially good optics as many hate that we dump so much money into other countries when it could be used here at home.  I laughed when I read the tweet.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 05:55:46 pm »
The optics point out that the Dems are not currently working with them.  “Rebuilding our infrastructure” is especially good optics as many hate that we dump so much money into other countries when it could be used here at home.  I laughed when I read the tweet.

:thumbsup:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 05:56:34 pm »

First, that's just "political" speak to convey the impression he is WILLING to work with the other side...people like that, for the most part.

Second, it is absolutely in our interest to try and peel away the few conservative Dems remaining in congress...on some key votes. This can not only foster disunity and disruption on the Dem side, it can help us to pass some important legislation. It is a VERY difficult task, as Pelosi/Schumer have done an effective job of locking down any "wannabe" blue dogs thus far...but each little success Trump has makes it tougher for Pelosi/Schumer to maintain that lockdown.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:01:29 pm »
First, that's just "political" speak to convey the impression he is WILLING to work with the other side...people like that, for the most part.

Second, it is absolutely in our interest to try and peel away the few conservative Dems remaining in congress...on some key votes. This can not only foster disunity and disruption on the Dem side, it can help us to pass some important legislation. It is a VERY difficult task, as Pelosi/Schumer have done an effective job of locking down any "wannabe" blue dogs thus far...but each little success Trump has makes it tougher for Pelosi/Schumer to maintain that lockdown.

Yep.     :beer:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »

If you honestly think that Pelosi and Schumer will allow any Dems to be "peeled" away you've been hitting the spiked Egg Nog a little too early.

There are no more Blue Dogs in Congress.  Pelosi sent them packing as soon as she became Speaker in 2006.  Reid did the same thing in the Senate.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »
After having foolishly spent $7 trillion in the Middle East, it is time to start rebuilding our country!

What's being overlooked is the fact the $7T was money we didn't have, anyway.  Spending it here doesn't change that.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »
And, . . . it's FUNNY!

Because it's TRUE.

The backstabbers in the GOPE WILL be working behind his back WITH the Democrats and Trump sideways called them on it.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Concerned

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:55:56 pm »

What's being overlooked is the fact the $7T was money we didn't have, anyway.  Spending it here doesn't change that.

And this "conservative" President's first budget added $677B to the debt (and some say as high as $1T).  I doubt if "working with the Dems" on infrastructure is likely to reduce the debt/deficit next year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stancollender/2017/10/22/the-trump-budget-legacy-a-permanent-1-trillion-federal-deficit/#cd0ea887a652
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 07:55:02 pm »
Certainly not with this bunch of Dems. In saying this, however, I think Trump will have made them look petty and churlish when the Dems - as usual - refuse to work together for the greater good.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 08:15:28 pm »
Certainly not with this bunch of Dems. In saying this, however, I think Trump will have made them look petty and churlish when the Dems - as usual - refuse to work together for the greater good.

It will take more than twitter posts to highlight how childish they are.

And what I mean by that is the entire GOP needs to flood the media zone with press releases...press conferences...statements by the press secretary...every time a camera is on...let them know how un-cooperative the Dems really are...what you and I have known for years.

But I'm not sure if the GOP has the motivation to do that.  To push back.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
I quite agree, tx.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
It will take more than twitter posts to highlight how childish they are.

And what I mean by that is the entire GOP needs to flood the media zone with press releases...press conferences...statements by the press secretary...every time a camera is on...let them know how un-cooperative the Dems really are...what you and I have known for years.

But I'm not sure if the GOP has the motivation to do that.  To push back.

I think that has been going on for some time now but the media only prints or airs that which fits their curren narrative.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:26:42 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:29:49 pm »
Yeah, “good of the country” and “infrastructure” when put together like this is simply Pavlovian code for wasteful spending.  Remember the stimulus spending boondoggle?  That was also infrastructure spending for the good of the country.  The only people to benefit here are well-placed front capitalist real estate investors and unions. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 08:29:59 pm »
I think that has been going on for some time now but the media only prints or airs that which fits their curren narrative.

If there was a concerted and concentrated effort by the GOP...RNC et al...to include using their two minute speeches on the House Floor and every time they stepped into the well to speak in the Senate...the media would be forced to notice...they couldn't ignore it any longer.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:32:41 pm »
Yeah, “good of the country” and “infrastructure” when put together like this is simply Pavlovian code for wasteful spending.  Remember the stimulus spending boondoggle?  That was also infrastructure spending for the good of the country.  The only people to benefit here are well-placed front capitalist real estate investors and unions.
The infrastructure is in terrible shape. How do we rectify that situation without the projects turning into The Big Dig 2.0? Every darn public project since this country began has had unions and "cronies" benefiting at the expense of the taxpayer. It's gotta stop - but how?

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »
The infrastructure is in terrible shape. How do we rectify that situation without the projects turning into The Big Dig 2.0? Every darn public project since this country began has had unions and "cronies" benefiting at the expense of the taxpayer. It's gotta stop - but how?

Good question. I doubt very much you’ll get anything resembling an answer from Trump or Congress. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 08:36:19 pm »
Good question. I doubt very much you’ll get anything resembling an answer from Trump or Congress.

How about you taking a shot at answering it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:26 pm »

While he probably didn’t originally coin the phrase, there was a conservative/libertarian talk show host in Baltimore, Ron Smith who sadly died six years ago, who used to say this about bipartisanship:

“When the party of stupid (GOP) and the party of evil (Dems) get together in the name of bipartisanship, you nearly always end up with something that is both stupid and evil.”
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »
I was asking my fellow TBR peeps for their opinions.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:31 am »
Title:

There's no "good" that comes from "working with" the democrat-communists.

For "the good of the country" they ought to be crushed out of existence.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 03:39:11 am »
Title:

I would have felt a little better had he turned that phrase around:
"Trump predicts Dems will work with GOP for the good of the country"
I'd have felt a little better, not much, but a little.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 04:15:41 am »
Title:

Totally agree, @Fishrrman !   OTOH, perhaps it's a setup.

It's a lot easier when he can cite 'previous' calls to work together for the good of the country, while the Commies actively try to remove him from the Office.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald