Author Topic: The Davis-Bacon Act of 1931 and the Breakdown of the Black Family  (Read 694 times)

Offline endicom

American Thinker
Antonio R. Chaves
Dec. 22, 2017

Conservatives tend to regard the growing trend of single-parent families as an issue of personal responsibility, but what if the liberals who blame society are partly right? What if they can point their finger to a bill sponsored by two Republicans and signed into law by a Republican president?

Prior to the 1930s, the labor force participation rate for black Americans was roughly equal to that of whites. Following passage of the first federal minimum wage in 1931, these rates started to diverge, and from the 1950s to the present, national black unemployment has remained at double the rate for whites. This is not surprising: Minimum wage restrictions discourage businesses from hiring workers who are regarded as “less marketable” due to either their lack of experience or societal prejudice.

More... http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/12/the_davisbacon_act_of_1931_and_the_breakdown_of_the_black_family.html

Offline endicom

Re: The Davis-Bacon Act of 1931 and the Breakdown of the Black Family
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »
Hoover Republicans paved the way for FDR.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »

W Republicans paved the way for Obama. What's your point?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »
Squishy Republicans tend to pave the way for Dems, like Ford/Carter or Bush I/Clinton.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »
American Thinker
Antonio R. Chaves
Dec. 22, 2017

Conservatives tend to regard the growing trend of single-parent families as an issue of personal responsibility, but what if the liberals who blame society are partly right? What if they can point their finger to a bill sponsored by two Republicans and signed into law by a Republican president?

Prior to the 1930s, the labor force participation rate for black Americans was roughly equal to that of whites. Following passage of the first federal minimum wage in 1931, these rates started to diverge, and from the 1950s to the present, national black unemployment has remained at double the rate for whites. This is not surprising: Minimum wage restrictions discourage businesses from hiring workers who are regarded as “less marketable” due to either their lack of experience or societal prejudice.

More... http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/12/the_davisbacon_act_of_1931_and_the_breakdown_of_the_black_family.html

I don't see it and this statement (in bold) marks the bias of the writer.  He assumes we're all a bunch of racist bastards who won't hire black people.   If you're older than 25 and have trouble getting a minimum wage job then you have a problem.  Learn a skill or get an education.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »

You just made it.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »

You just made it.

@endicom @Frank Cannon
Obama was chosen, he wasn't elected.   Power players have been deciding which candidate got the Dem nomination for years.  Just like they sabotaged Bernie they have done before.   GOP probably as well.

So when it comes down to the election there really isn't a candidate chosen by the people but candidates chosen by a very small number of powerful and connected people.   We normally end up with two choices that arent much different.  Until this last election.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 04:44:14 pm »

@endicom

Progressives, regardless of their party affiliation, have been moving the Marxist agenda forward in this country since the days of Lincoln.  Need I remind you that it was none other than Theodore Roosevelt who first pushed the National Healthcare crap?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 04:55:15 pm »
@endicom

Progressives, regardless of their party affiliation, have been moving the Marxist agenda forward in this country since the days of Lincoln.  Need I remind you that it was none other than Theodore Roosevelt who first pushed the National Healthcare crap?

I've never called myself Republican or Democrat, Conservative or Liberal. I've never wanted other people telling me what I should believe or support.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »

I've never called myself Republican or Democrat, Conservative or Liberal. I've never wanted other people telling me what I should believe or support.

I have tried to use the Republican party as a means to an end and that involves making people aware that their votes in primaries are every bit as important and those they cast in general elections if not more so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »
@endicom @Frank Cannon
Obama was chosen, he wasn't elected.   Power players have been deciding which candidate got the Dem nomination for years.  Just like they sabotaged Bernie they have done before.   GOP probably as well.

So when it comes down to the election there really isn't a candidate chosen by the people but candidates chosen by a very small number of powerful and connected people.   We normally end up with two choices that arent much different.  Until this last election.

:bigsilly:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
Squishy Republicans tend to pave the way for Dems, like Ford/Carter or Bush I/Clinton.

Why settle for Dem-Lite, when you can have the real thing?