Author Topic: Papa John's founder out as CEO weeks after blaming NFL for slow pizza sales  (Read 2872 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Papa John's founder out as CEO weeks after blaming NFL for slow pizza sales
Chicago Tribune, Dec 21, 2017, Joseph Pisani

Papa John's founder John Schnatter will step down as CEO next month, about two months after he publicly criticized the NFL leadership over national anthem protests by football players — comments for which the company later apologized.

Schnatter will be replaced as chief executive by Chief Operating Officer Steve Ritchie on Jan. 1, the company announced Thursday. Schnatter, who appears in the chain's commercials and on its pizza boxes, and is the company's biggest shareholder, remains chairman of the board.

Earlier this year, Schnatter blamed slowing sales growth at Papa John's — an NFL sponsor and advertiser — on the outcry surrounding players kneeling during the national anthem. Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had kneeled during the national anthem to protest what he said was police mistreatment of black men, and other players started kneeling as well.

More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-papa-johns-founder-out-20171221-story.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Probably has more to do with sales
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Wow. Anyone else dislike their pizzas?
🍕

(I like mom and pop pizza stores)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Probably has more to do with sales

A 13% drop seems 'normal', given the turmoil going on over NFL boycotts, etc..

But to resign??  Over that???

...talk about the power of the 'Franchisee".   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline driftdiver

A 13% drop seems 'normal', given the turmoil going on over NFL boycotts, etc..

But to resign??  Over that???

...talk about the power of the 'Franchisee".   ^-^

Perhaps it's because he won't drop the nfl

Online DCPatriot

Perhaps it's because he won't drop the nfl

Hmmmm.....  I would imagine the contract agreement runs till the end of the Super Bowl, right?

He was essentially telling his loyal customers that he was not pleased with the league-sanctioned protests. 

Ergo, it is more likely Papa John's is suffering collateral damage due to protests from both sides.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

🍕

I grew up in Buffalo NY. The chains had a hard time getting even a toehold, much less a foot hold. every neighborhood had a least mom and pop that the residents were fiercely loyal to.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline driftdiver

Hmmmm.....  I would imagine the contract agreement runs till the end of the Super Bowl, right?

He was essentially telling his loyal customers that he was not pleased with the league-sanctioned protests. 

Ergo, it is more likely Papa John's is suffering collateral damage due to protests from both sides.

Depends on the contract.   They'd be stupid to sign a contract with no way out.

Offline driftdiver

Btw the drop in sales came before his statement.  Before his statement their only official response supported the nfl.

Online DCPatriot

I grew up in Buffalo NY. The chains had a hard time getting even a toehold, much less a foot hold. every neighborhood had a least mom and pop that the residents were fiercely loyal to.

Me, too!   (Left there back in 1972)

Bocce Club Pizza!!   Nothing on the entire planet can touch it.    http://bocceclubpizza.com/

I recall back in the 60's, every employee...baker, cashier were openly carrying.   

Your point is supported too, by the fact that while TED'S Charcoal hotdogs has a consistent line, the McDonald's right across the street is empty.

Online DCPatriot

Btw the drop in sales came before his statement.  Before his statement their only official response supported the nfl.

:patriot:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I hear Buffalo is the home of Buffalo wings. They were invented there. 😊
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

I hear Buffalo is the home of Buffalo wings. They were invented there. 😊

In the "Anchor Bar", downtown, on Main Street, right across from Bryant & Stratton College, by a Teresa Bellissimo.

My brother opened up MAXI's.....and at one time was going thru over FOUR THOUSAND LBS per week.   That's more than 2 tons...for those of you with a public school education.   

Offline verga

Me, too!   (Left there back in 1972)

Bocce Club Pizza!!   Nothing on the entire planet can touch it.    http://bocceclubpizza.com/

I recall back in the 60's, every employee...baker, cashier were openly carrying.   

Your point is supported too, by the fact that while TED'S Charcoal hotdogs has a consistent line, the McDonald's right across the street is empty.
@ DCPatriot Bocce club was very good, I think they were on East Delevan near the Juvenile detention center. I loved Norms over on Broadway, near St. John Kanty.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If I were him, I'd tell them they'd better change their name, because I'm not granting them my personality rights.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

In the "Anchor Bar", downtown, on Main Street, right across from Bryant & Stratton College, by a Teresa Bellissimo.

My brother opened up MAXI's.....and at one time was going thru over FOUR THOUSAND LBS per week.   That's more than 2 tons...for those of you with a public school education.
@DCPatriot Anchor bar is nice because it the home of the "original, but we like Duff's better.

Offline Frank Cannon

Their pizza sucks....

Offline driftdiver

In my area I can get pizza at Papa Johns, Dominoes, Pizza Hut or a couple stand alone chains that promise NY Style.    Only the chains deliver so of those Papa Johns got my vote until this NFL garbage.    Now I drive to pick up.

Online DCPatriot

@DCPatriot Anchor bar is nice because it the home of the "original, but we like Duff's better.

Thanks for the tip, @verga   I'm going to try them.   Will be up there next weekend.

That Duff's location is walking distance to the Ted's and McDonald's..., to which I referred above.   Southwestern Blvd and Union Rd. 

Offline verga

Thanks for the tip, @verga   I'm going to try them.   Will be up there next weekend.

That Duff's location is walking distance to the Ted's and McDonald's..., to which I referred above.   Southwestern Blvd and Union Rd.
@DCPatriot There used to be a local chain called " The Chicken coop" You could order them "Suicidal" We would order 50 of them with 2 liters of Orange Crush. Everyone would would put $5 on the table, the last one to touch his soda won the pot. I never won. We used to challenge the guy that made them to make them so hot we could not eat them.

Offline Suppressed

A lot of people do, and I have a Duff's t-shirt, but I still prefer the Anchor Bar.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DCPatriot

A lot of people do, and I have a Duff's t-shirt, but I still prefer the Anchor Bar.

Is it STILL open?    :shrug:

Offline verga

I think it changed owners, but it is still open.

Offline NavyCanDo

🍕

Both bake your own pizza stores here on the west coast, Papa John's and Papa Murphy's have horrible pizza. The sauce is bland, and the meat has little flavor as well.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

Yeah.

Actually, I have an Anchor Bar shirt, too.  Can't fit into either of them anymore, I'm sure...I've eaten too many wings.   :whistle: I should donate them.

Actually, though, I know a woman who lost 125+ pounds on a "wings and Michelob Ultra" diet...by getting wings without honey added, and then putting in some Old Bay for zing.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn