Author Topic: U.S. holiday shopping season surging towards a strong finish  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

U.S. holiday shopping season surging towards a strong finish
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
U.S. holiday shopping season surging towards a strong finish
Reuters, Dec 21, 2017, Nandita Bose

A jump in consumer spending in the final stretch of December should build on a strong start to the U.S. holiday season and help the embattled retail industry beat sales forecasts, industry research groups said. The spending boost in December comes ahead of Super Saturday - the last Saturday before Christmas, which often sets the annual record for retail sales and is one of the busiest shopping days of the year along with Black Friday.

In recent years, shopping in the final weeks has determined the success of the season. “Across the board, the whole season is up pretty significantly this year versus last year,” said Glenn Fodor, senior vice-president and head of information and analytics at payment processor First Data.

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-holidayshopping/u-s-holiday-shopping-season-surging-towards-a-strong-finish-idUSKBN1EF2DX?il=0

Offline dfwgator

Re: U.S. holiday shopping season surging towards a strong finish
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:00:10 pm »
Media Spin:  People are buying before Trump gets us all blown up.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:34:07 pm »
But from what I hear, most of the shopping is online -- which, if true, does not bode well for brick and mortar stores.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:28 am »
But from what I hear, most of the shopping is online -- which, if true, does not bode well for brick and mortar stores.

Macy's in Herald Square, NY on Nov 27, 2017

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:36:51 am »
Hallelujah and Praise Lord Trump.

“Bless us, Lord Trump, for these gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty ....”

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »

“Bless us, Lord Trump, for these gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty ....”

:tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »

@Oceander

Your comments lately have made me laugh; man I love sarcasm.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:59:30 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Our local news had video of shoppers at the mall. It gives the impression that the retailers are making a killing.  But how many of those people actually buy something?

Some retailers are offering huge discounts now instead of after Christmas. Remains to be seen whether those price reductions will have any effect on the bottom line    Some people go to the store to check the price, then go home and search online to see if they can get it cheaper. 

I myself stay out of the stores before Christmas because I hate crowds.    I don't buy too many presents.  Lately, I just give gift cards. And most of those cards are ordered online too.