Author Topic: Local Charity Loaves and Fishes is Feeding Minnesota's Hungry  (Read 222 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Local Charity Loaves and Fishes is Feeding Minnesota's Hungry
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:35:46 pm »
Local Charity Loaves and Fishes is Feeding Minnesota's Hungry
Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl

If you decide to re-read Dickens’s A Christmas Carol this year, I recommend you do it with one eye on the turkey. It comes in visions; it vanishes. Now the turkey is a fake doll’s toy, now it’s walled off behind glass, now it’s almost here and now it’s vanished again, until finally it’s really, truly paid for and in the oven—phew. 

One way of reading A Christmas Carol is as the story of a very hungry family, and the twists and turns that take place in the mind of a wealthy man as he decides whether it is right to feed them at Christmas. 

In its last report, the Minnesota nonprofit Hunger Solutions counted 9,000 Minnesotans a day who rely on food shelves for groceries. Using U.S. Census data, the Metropolitan Council reports that 21 percent of people in the Twin Cities region live in poverty. (Close to two-thirds of all these poor households include at least one adult who works.) Of course, the good news is that on Christmas and Thanksgiving, the figurative turkey tends to get in the literal oven. As a call to charity, A Christmas Carol worked.

Read more at: http://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/local-charity-loaves-and-fishes/

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Local Charity Loaves and Fishes is Feeding Minnesota's Hungry
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
Well over 50% of the groceries that I delivered to cars at the food pantry had cigarettes in them. The price of expensive tobacco is people needing assistance with groceries. About 30% had empty beer boxes. Why do people keep empty beer boxes?

I'm just saying.
Countdown to Resignation