Author Topic: Coal plant shutdowns to lower power reserves  (Read 1086 times)

Offline thackney

Coal plant shutdowns to lower power reserves
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:14:10 pm »
Coal plant shutdowns to lower power reserves
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Power-reserves-for-summer-expected-to-dip-after-12439986.php
December 19, 2017

The shutdown of three coal-fired and a natural gas plant will knock Texas' summer power reserves below the recommended level, according to a report released Monday by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which oversees 90 percent of the state's power grid.

ERCOT is charged with ensuring  that Texas has enough power to meet demand on the hottest summer days, when electricity consumption peaks. In 2010, ERCOT in 2010 adopted guidelines calling for the grid's generating capacity to exceed demand by at least 13.75 percent.

The difference between generating capacity and demand is called the reserve margin....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Coal plant shutdowns to lower power reserves
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:37:56 pm »
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/reserve-margins-tighten-in-ercot-as-plant-retirements-loom/513385/

....More generation is planned in the Lone Star state to help to pad the reserve margin in coming years. Even so, a spike in power plant retirements has shrunk the safety net for electricity consumers for the short term....

..."Planning reserve margins fluctuate over time," ERCOT CEO Bill Magness commented on the latest assessment. "We see these types of shifts as the ERCOT market experiences cycles of new investments, retirement of aging resources, and growing demand for power."

The grid operator expects a 7,200 MW decrease in overall generation capacity for summer 2018, which it says is primarily due to recently announced retirements, project delays beyond the summer 2018 peak demand period and other factors. The new report also includes almost 3,800 MW in new generation resources that began operating this year.

More than 14,000 MW of resources that meet the criteria to be included in the CDR are planned to be in service by 2020. ERCOT expects system-wide peak demand to grow by an average of about 1.7% annually over the next 10 years. The operator forecast peak demand for 2018 is just under 73,000 MW, a 1,175 MW decrease since the May report, likely spurred by a suite of retirement announcements. ...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:44:02 pm »
Isn't this one of the reason Perry was trying to prop up the coal industry to ensure the baseload was present?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 06:56:55 pm »
Isn't this one of the reason Perry was trying to prop up the coal industry to ensure the baseload was present?

Yes, coal and nuclear I believe.

A better way, in my opinion, is to not require non-dispatchable load to be priced as dispatchable.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:59:43 pm »
Yes, coal and nuclear I believe.

A better way, in my opinion, is to not require non-dispatchable load to be priced as dispatchable.

Get the government the hell out of the way and let the marketplace decide!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien