Author Topic: The fate of America's only nuclear plant under construction will be decided Thursday  (Read 1191 times)

Online corbe

The fate of America's only nuclear plant under construction will be decided Thursday

by Josh Siegel | Dec 18, 2017, 12:01 AM

The Georgia Public Service Commission on Thursday is set to decide the fate of Plant Vogtle, the only nuclear reactor under construction in the U.S., which is years behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget.

At Thursday’s hearing, a commission made of five elected officials, all Republicans, will vote on whether to permit Georgia Power’s new plan for the project, which includes an updated cost projection and construction timeline, or to cancel it.

Georgia Power is estimating $12.2 billion in costs for its 45.7 percent share of the project, and for the reactors to be producing electricity by 2021 or 2022.

This cost estimate is nearly double the company’s original projection, and the timeline is five years behind schedule. The cost of the project for Georgia Power and its co-owners exceeds $20 billion.

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/the-fate-of-americas-only-nuclear-plant-under-construction-will-be-decided-thursday/article/2643697
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

must also be the world's most expensive plant at $20 billion.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

I won't say more at this time, BUT the fault is almost entirely that of Westinghouse senior management.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I won't say more at this time, BUT the fault is almost entirely that of Westinghouse senior management.

Why does that not surprise me?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kidd

As an official explanation has not yet been provided, I've learned more from some of the contracted site QA guys.
- contracted workers and supervisors that don't understand the importance of a paper trail in nuclear work (resulting in lots of rework, engineering dispositions, etc.)
- overzealous government regulators (lots of rejected parts because of superficial cosmetic issues)
- unnecessary cumbersome design change procedures (which goes back to the Combined Construction and Operating License)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It will be built after all.

Georgia regulators say nuclear reactors, nation’s first since 1978, will be finished

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/21/georgia-approves-us-first-new-nuclear-reactors/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Georgia regulators say nuclear reactors, nation’s first since 1978, will be finished

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/21/georgia-approves-us-first-new-nuclear-reactors/

Good news!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

Good