Author Topic: Scientists cautiously back Trump’s moon plan  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Suppressed

Scientists cautiously back Trump’s moon plan
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »
Scientists cautiously back Trump’s moon plan
A surprise White House announcement caught experts on the hop, but many see its potential. Richard A Lovett reports.
19 DECEMBER 2017
https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/scientists-cautiously-back-trump-s-moon-plan

In a White House announcement early last week, US President Donald Trump startled space scientists by issuing a directive announcing a U.S. intention to return to the Moon “and other destinations.”

“This time we will not only plant our flag and leave our footprint,” he said, “we will establish a foundation for an eventual mission to Mars and perhaps someday to many worlds beyond.”

The announcement drew support from NASA, aerospace proponents, and Congressmen Lamar Smith (R-Texas), who chairs the House Science, Space and Technology Committee. “This administration's dedication to space is a refreshing change from the past eight years,” said Smith.

Even SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, who parted ways with Trump last summer over climate change, tweeted his approval. “It’s high time that humanity went beyond Earth,” he wrote.

But not everyone is as sanguine. Many Americans view their President as flighty, lacking on follow-through.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Scientists cautiously back Trump’s moon plan
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:42:19 pm »
Heck getting a man into orbit would be a nice step.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:05:21 pm »
The way our society has been going backwards, in some regards, makes me wonder if we could simply repeat what we already did?

My college geology professor planned to be an astronaut and go into space, on later trips.

Then they cut budgets, and he went into teaching. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kidd

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:33 pm »
I am still deeply impressed that we got 12 men on the moon, and an additional 13 to orbit the moon (2 men went twice), and back alive, using 1960s technology.

First of all, the NASA engineers were geniuses. All of them. The concept, the design, the construction, the execution. All of it.
Second, the astronauts were incredibly brave
Third, politics was never an issue that interfered with the missions. They survived the Johnson and Nixon administrations - two of the worst presidents ever.
Fourth, quality assurance was WAY ahead of its time. With little redundancy and mostly no escape systems, everything had to function perfectly.

And it will STILL be a challenge to repeat this feat, 50 years later.
I suspect the politics will be the greatest impediment to a successful return to the moon.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:36:00 pm »
I'd be hesitant to drive across town with the limited navigational tools they had going to the moon. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:46:06 am »
I support this 100%. However, I saw this on space posts on FB and a lot of people hate it. I think it has to do with Trump.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:15:34 am »
I support this 100%. However, I saw this on space posts on FB and a lot of people hate it. I think it has to do with Trump.

Whitey On the Moon - Gil Scott-Heron
! No longer available