Author Topic: Trump bans CDC from using words like 'transgender,' 'diversity,' and 'entitlement'  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump bans CDC from using words like 'transgender,' 'diversity,' and 'entitlement'
American Thinker, Dec 16, 2017, Ed Straker

George Orwell would have been the first to admit that by controlling language you can control people's attitudes. The government has been doing that for years with code phrases like "Abortion" (also known as ending the life of a baby) and "Earned Income Tax Credit" (also known as welfare).

But now liberals are getting upset that President Trump is ripping several pages from their new-speak lexicon.  The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Let's look at these words one at a time.

More: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/12/trump_bans_cdc_from_using_words_like_transgender_diversity_and_entitlement.html

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
......"evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Please say this is a parody adding this bit of trolling into the story...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:39:25 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Good! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Another opinion:

A 2017 version of “the seven dirty words” at… the CDC?

Jazz Shaw
Hot Air
December 16, 2017

...Some of these entries may seem like a welcome relief to those who have grown tired of the previous administration’s embrace of the social justice warrior movement and liberal groupthink, but this is no way to set government policy...

Full article

Offline dfwgator

"Dreadful *Tinny* sort of words...."

*AAAAAGH!*
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:28:12 pm by dfwgator »

Offline aligncare

If we call it a mass of fetal tissue (“a fetus”), it’s harder to see it for what it is: a baby. The scientific term depersonalizes it. It’s a lot easier to abort a fetus than it is to kill a baby.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Similarly, "evidence based" and "science based" need hold no more than a fleeting relationship to either. Ever see a movie "based" on a book "based" on a true story?  Lots of room there for departure from fact.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Michael D. Regan
PBS
December 17, 2017

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald on Sunday addressed a report that President Donald Trump’s administration had banned the CDC from using seven words or phrases in next year’s budget documents.

The terms are “fetus,” “transgender,” “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “evidence-based” and “science-based,” according to a story first reported on Friday in The Washington Post.

But Fitzgerald said in a series of tweets on Sunday said there are “no banned words,” while emphasizing the agency’s commitment to data-driven science.

More

Related thread: Trump bans CDC from using words like 'transgender,' 'diversity,' and 'entitlement'

Offline ABX

Glad to hear. It is very disturbing when the government gets into the banning of words (we threw a fit when Obama did it).  The story did sound fishy when they included 'evidence-based' and 'science-based' in there, probably as red meat as they aren't controversial (or shouldn't be).

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I lost faith in the CDC after S1E5 of TWD.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

Offline Just_Victor

Glad to hear. It is very disturbing when the government gets into the banning of words (we threw a fit when Obama did it).  The story did sound fishy when they included 'evidence-based' and 'science-based' in there, probably as red meat3 as they aren't controversial (or shouldn't be).

And it wouldn't suprise me if they had a meeting regarding budget and grant requests, and how to word them to get them to go thru.  But that in no way equates to "banning words."
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline aligncare

...so this turned out to be a fake story and an opportunity for NeverTrumpers to bash Trump. So wasn’t a total waste of time.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Having one's genitals surgically mutilated and being fed hormones like a factory farm chicken does does not make one 'Trans Gender'.

Same goes for the rest of these crap-weasel concepts.

The Center for DISEASE? Control?

Let them redefine/Pwn the language and everything becomes a Disease needing to be 'Cured' by Govt edict, funding, and enforcement.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Having one's genitals surgically mutilated and being fed hormones like a factory farm chicken does does not make one 'Trans Gender'.

Same goes for the rest of these crap-weasel concepts.

The Center for DISEASE? Control?

Let them redefine/Pwn the language and everything becomes a Disease needing to be 'Cured' by Govt edict, funding, and enforcement.

All you have to do is consider the reaction to these 'operations' if they had been performed by Josef Mengele....

...and consider the psychological torture and disturbance necessary to believe they want such mutilation.

As for the disease part, if it can be considered 'epidemic', they can label it thus. It's a pity stupidity isn't being studied...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:55:50 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Revealed: Bogus 'Trump Banned Words at the CDC' Story Was Rooted in Suggested Guidelines From Liberal Bureaucrats

Guy Benson
Townhall
December 19, 2017

If you're just joining this flap, here's a short recap: Late last week, it was reported that Trump administration officials at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) had sought to "ban" words they deemed to be controversial, including "transgender" and "fetus."  This sparked an immediate outcry, as Orwellian censorship rarely plays well with the American people.  The Trump-hostile media were in full throat, pounding the table against this anti-science outrage.  The original story ("forbidden words") appeared in the Washington Post, then spread like wildfire...

CDC's director took to social media to dispel these reports, swatting down what she called a "complete mischaracterization:" ...

Additionally, the New York Times quoted administration sources who debunked the "ban" claim, explaining that the new guidelines were merely (non-mandatroy) suggestions about how to present topics in budget-related documents, not scientific or medical content...

Amazing: The "banned" words were never banned, and were dreamed up as part of a list of suggested guidelines for budget documents by career (non-Trump-appointed) bureaucrats who were trying to avoid 'triggering' Congressional Republicans through the inclusion of those terms...

Full article

Offline corbe

I'd bet #NeverTrump is in there somewhere.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Related thread: CDC director says there are ‘no banned words’ at the agency

The title of this thread has been proven to be BS.   At a minimum, the title should be updated with brackets. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

It's a pity stupidity isn't being studied...

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Instead of being Govt Funded, Protected, and Put on the Public Dole hand over fist.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline aligncare

The title of this thread has been proven to be BS.   At a minimum, the title should be updated with brackets.

Or, we could do like never’s and just post recipes and cat videos.  :silly:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Or, we could do like never’s and just post recipes and cat videos.  :silly:

We should start posting pics of Redheads again...since all the prudes from years gone by are gone.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

We should start posting pics of Redheads again...since all the prudes from years gone by are gone.    :beer:

You won’t get an argument from me! Post away!