Author Topic: How Republicans are experiencing 2010 in reverse  (Read 727 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How Republicans are experiencing 2010 in reverse
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:50:03 pm »
 How Republicans are experiencing 2010 in reverse

Democrats lost power after jamming through a controversial agenda. Now the GOP is following in their footsteps, and history might repeat.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN and ELANA SCHOR

12/13/2017 07:57 PM EST

A first-term president and unpopular congressional leaders are pushing a controversial legislative agenda that sparks a nationwide movement from the infuriated opposition. Retirements are suddenly putting the majority’s safe seats in play. Party leaders jam major legislation through Congress on a partisan vote, and are in such a hurry to pass it they’re rewriting it by hand hours before a vote. They lose control of their message and can't find an easy way to get back on track.

Then comes a stunning upset in a Senate special election for a seat the majority party had controlled for decades.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/13/republicans-alabama-2010-scott-brown-295471?lo=ap_d1
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: How Republicans are experiencing 2010 in reverse
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 02:53:04 pm »
Yup. Brace yourselves. It's about to get ugly.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:12:01 pm »
Especially if the candidates are backed by Bannon
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:12:21 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:14:39 pm »
The republican outspent 14 to 1 with most of his own party either ambivalent or actively opposed to him and his losing by a couple of points becomes a 'stunning upset'...

Effing hilarious.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
LOL. Thanks Polutico. I notice you make no mention that you're experiencing even worse problems with your party. Just look at how much money your raising.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:15:58 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:00 pm »
This is basically alt-left media push polling. Politico's writing to create opinion, not reflect it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
Many Republicans insist that the similarities are superficial, that Brown’s shocking 2010 victory in deep-blue Massachusetts was a referendum on Obamacare while Tuesday’s win by Jones in dark-red Alabama happened only because of a deeply flawed Republican candidate, Roy Moore.

That’s true.  If there’s a referendum on republicans in 2018, it’ll be for their lack of pushing legislation people actually want through to be signed.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:32:46 pm »
Many Republicans insist that the similarities are superficial, that Brown’s shocking 2010 victory in deep-blue Massachusetts was a referendum on Obamacare while Tuesday’s win by Jones in dark-red Alabama happened only because of a deeply flawed Republican candidate, Roy Moore.

That’s true.  If there’s a referendum on republicans in 2018, it’ll be for their lack of pushing legislation people actually want through to be signed.

2018 will be a referendum with the Republican base, i.e. taking a knee to protest the inability/lack of desire to deliver legislation promised to us for several election cycles.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:23:16 pm »
2018 will be a referendum with the Republican base, i.e. taking a knee to protest the inability/lack of desire to deliver legislation promised to us for several election cycles.

I don’t disagree with that.

Trump missed an opportunity, in my opinion. It was obvious during the campaign he was not going to get any cooperation from establishment Republicans. They should have been forming teams to find replacements for people due in 2018 for serious primary challenges.  That way, they would have either started a fire under the incumbents to do something or replaced them to get something done.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »

Trump missed an opportunity, in my opinion. It was obvious during the campaign he was not going to get any cooperation from establishment Republicans. They should have been forming teams to find replacements for people due in 2018 for serious primary challenges.  That way, they would have either started a fire under the incumbents to do something or replaced them to get something done.

There's still time, but as far as I know it's not being done. It will be one helluva missed opportunity to decrease the leverage of the Swamp GOP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
There's still time, but as far as I know it's not being done. It will be one helluva missed opportunity to decrease the leverage of the Swamp GOP.

Some time, but now it’s a rush job to do vetting and fundraising for candidates.  They could have been working on it for 18 months instead of 6.

I’d be more confident in their ability to do it in the short amount of time, if the administration had some personnel stability.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:40:08 pm by edpc »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:12:49 pm »

I think this may be what Bannon has set out to do realizing what a piece of 'work' (being nice) McConnell is. However, it is very difficult to replace incumbents especially when McConnell and the NRSC are spending funds received to ensure that conservative newbies don't make it in.  Trump's biggest mistake was not knowing how the government functioned in the first place thinking, he was going to come in an clean house and do what needed to get done (in his eyes).  He now understands that he has to go through 535 members of Congress in order to get something done.  Secondly, hopefully he fully understands that a lot of those members even in his own party don't want him to succeed and are trying to take him down.

IF he can get the wall going and IF he can bring down Hillary the GOP won't have to worry about retaining a majority.  With the Congressional leadership and with the joke of a DOJ that's currently in place, the chances of either of those happening is slim to none.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »
Yup. Brace yourselves. It's about to get ugly.

Yes as the NeverTrumpers work tirelessly to help their anti-Amercan allies (the Rats) to
defeat America First conservatives. I guess yall won't be happy until the Marxists are back
in power pushing abortion, gun control and op-en borders.