Author Topic: Leftover Discussion Thread: AL Special Election  (Read 90756 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Leftover Discussion Thread: AL Special Election
« Reply #475 on: December 13, 2017, 01:27:45 pm »
Well, maybe the silver lining is Republicans refusing to allow the ends to justify the means will lead to better candidates and better solidarity down the road.

The good news? As usual the Democrats will overplay their hand and read more into this than what it really was.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2017, 01:29:59 pm »
Being Christian is also about being loving and forgiving....some of Roy's positions seemed to lack this. This is why there was little room for error; per his own lifestyle. I can even ignore unproven allegations, just admitting and not denying that he might have dated such young women didn't go over well. A bit of a debacle but only 3 years of it and the Alabama GOP already released a statement that Jones needs to represent everyone in Alabama as if trying to quell his known radical positions.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #477 on: December 13, 2017, 01:33:12 pm »
Akin, O'Donnell, Angle, Moore...just throwing away Senate seats by nominating bad candidates.

Yup.  If just those four seats - easy pickings! - had been in GOP hands then ObamaCare would already be history.   

Bad candidates vs. good candidates make all the difference.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2017, 01:37:51 pm »
 #ThePersistence‏Verified account @ScottPresler

Looks like Doug Jones is going to win. So be it. Republicans need to pass tax reform immediately.

Also, every politician who runs from now on until eternity should be prepared to battle sexual assault allegations.
#AlabamaSenateElection
10:23 PM - 12 Dec 2017
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:13 pm »
Akin, O'Donnell, Angle, Moore...just throwing away Senate seats by nominating bad candidates.

The first 3 said some questionable things but not enough to dump them. The GOP needs to stand by candidates as well. Moore does not belong in that group.

Moore had a problem with personal conduct or misconduct that seemed to affect voters; also won in 2011 by only 52-48 seems a graphic I saw last night on tv. If that is so, it shows a lot of voters already had reservations about him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:44:20 pm by TomSea »

Silver Pines

« Reply #480 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
@edpc , you and the rest of the RINOs here joined democrats openly trashing Roy. While congress and democrats outspent something in the neighborhood of 12 to 1 against him.  Posters here spreading baseless horrible rumors against him for how many months now with no proof whatsoever? Truth, who needs that? I get the feeling the site manager here got pinged to post article after article that did nothing but spread the lies after someone got tired of doing it. There was few in Roy's corner except oddly enough Breitbart (who turned on Cruz) and a few outlier online news sites and the dyehard of us in Alabama. Trump hid from supporting Moore because his wee feelings got hurt over Strange's loss. Even Cruz disappointed. The Senate leadership never did help, they certainly didn't want Moore's views contrary to their own.

Mo Brooks I was actually proud of... (he was the one I said I could of voted for if Moore lost). There was so much that could of been pointed out in Moore's defense that just got laughed at here at TBR. I would try to point out things like how the black lady police officer's FB page showed she was radical. No response from most here or a flimpant remark discarding what I said and carefully researched. Nobody cared, Roy was just a Christian nut. Make a few more jokes at his expense.

What it shows me is that if the GOP has such disdain for Christian voters it hurts. There is no need for me to vote R anymore. Why vote, they are 99% of the time just going to mock us. I am actually glad I didn't vote for McCain or Romney. They were two of the chief mockers of Moore. Get spit at enough, you learn to stop empowering the phlegm flingers.

Let the GOP go on without me, they no longer care for my vote. They and you will get the world you so deserve, but it will not be one worth envisioning.

@Sighlass

Bullshit. 

First of all, I’m not a Republican.  I called myself a conservative up until this mess, but I’m done with that after watching conservatives turn off their brains, put on blinders, throw common decency out the window, and in some cases, let their deep-seated dislike/contempt for women out into the light.  All in order to support a creepy, weird, morally bankrupt child molester.   My beliefs are the same, but conservatism is dead,  and the evangelical church is deeply sick.

Child molester—-was that caterwaul loud enough?   If not, I can up the volume.   

@mystery-ak wasn’t pinged by me or anyone else to post more anti-Moore articles.  For the love of God, stop making everything a conspiracy.  Myst posts right down the middle, pro and con whatever the issue.  Anyway, what makes you think she could be bullied by someone not happy about her posting?

Y’all can’t even see it, but you’ve become Free Republic and you’ve become exactly like hardcore Trumpists....blaming everybody except yourself (especially those who wouldn’t dump their principles),  spitting with rage.  You sound exactly like those TOS morons today.  Moore losing just couldn’t be because reasonable people believed the credible accusations.  As Breitbart has it , “REPUBLICAN SABOTEURS FLIP SEAT TO DEMS.”  Congrats, guys, you’re right in step!

You ain’t blaming this crapshow on me or on the few others who wouldn’t shut up about Moore.  There’s now another left winger in the Senate because Alabama went for the worst possible Republican candidate. 

Should be very simple lessons...don’t pretend it’s normal for a 30 year old to hang out at recitals trolling for teenagers.  Don’t dismiss credible child molestation charges.  If you’re sounding too much like TOS and Breitbart, check yourself because it’s a serious red flag.

Oh, and don’t ride a horse to the polling place dressed like a cowboy because you look like a damn embarrassing dork.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #481 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »

I do blame them.   You do not make things better by supporting the party of evil.  We need all the Senate votes we can get to help pass Trump's agenda. 

People aren't keeping their eye on the prize here.

Ah, but we are.   Moore's election would have led to an ethics investigation and the truly divisive prospect of forcing out a member elected by the voters.   Moore's defeat allows this debacle to be put behind us so we can concentrate on keeping the Senate, which is of course the key to securing conservative jurists.      The numbers still favor the GOP - and without Moore's baggage I remain cautiously optimistic.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #482 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »
@Sighlass

Bullshit. 

First of all, I’m not a Republican.  I called myself a conservative up until this mess, but I’m done with that after watching conservatives turn off their brains, put on blinders, throw common decency out the window, and in some cases, let their deep-seated dislike/contempt for women out into the light.  All in order to support a creepy, weird, morally bankrupt child molester.   My beliefs are the same, but conservatism is dead,  and the evangelical church is deeply sick.

@mystery-ak wasn’t pinged by me or anyone else to post more anti-Moore articles.  For the love of God, stop making everything a conspiracy.  Myst posts right down the middle, pro and con whatever the issue.  Anyway, what makes you think she could be bullied by someone not happy about her posting?

Y’all can’t even see it, but you’ve become Free Republic and you’ve become exactly like hardcore Trumpists....blaming everybody except yourself (especially those who wouldn’t dump their principles),  spitting with rage.  You sound exactly like those TOS morons today.  Moore losing just couldn’t be because reasonable people believed the credible accusations.  As Breitbart has it , “REPUBLICAN SABOTEURS FLIP SEAT TO DEMS.”  Congrats, guys, you’re right in step!

You ain’t blaming this crapshow on me or on the few others who wouldn’t shut up about Moore.  There’s now another left winger in the Senate because Alabama went for the worst possible Republican candidate. 

Should be very simple lessons...don’t pretend it’s normal for a 30 year old to hang out at recitals trolling for teenagers.  Don’t dismiss credible child molestation charges.  If you’re sounding too much like TOS and Breitbart, check yourself because it’s a serious red flag.

Oh, and don’t ride a horse to the polling place dressed like a cowboy because you look like a damn embarrassing dork.

Preach it, sister.  But don't give up on conservatism.   The number of write-ins last night exceeded Jones' margin of victory.    Good Alabamians and conservatives who would not let the ends justify the means kept Moore from the Senate.   

Offline TomSea

« Reply #483 on: December 13, 2017, 01:50:52 pm »
@Sighlass

Bullshit. 

Glad we see pro-choicers and feminists seen for what they are as well.

@Sighlass has stated he wrote in the last 3 presidential candidates. It's more like you are on the same side.

Tasteless sanctimony and we know, if pressed, then, you call people vile names. Enjoy your little world.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #484 on: December 13, 2017, 01:52:42 pm »
Roy Moore Is A Lesson On The Folly Of Angry Populism
The obvious lesson of Roy Moore's election loss is that angry populism fueled by resentment of 'elites' is not the basis for a political movement.

By Robert Tracinski   
December 13, 2017

They told me I should keep my “elite media” nose out of it and let the voters in Alabama decide for themselves whether to elect Roy Moore as their next senator. Well, alright then. The voters decided, and they elected a Democrat. In Alabama. I think that’s a pretty definitive judgment about the merits of Moore as a candidate.

The obvious lesson here is that angry populism fueled by resentment against the bogeyman of supposed “elites” is not the basis for a political party or movement. Even before the allegations that as a grown man Moore used to troll the malls for teenage girls to date, it was pretty obvious that he was trouble. He has always been a grandstanding attention addict who likes to shoot off his mouth without thinking first.

More to the point, he thrived by pandering to the “deplorables” whom normal candidates wisely choose not to pander to. Moore pandered to those who like to engage in Confederate nostalgia, to those who want to return to the persecution of homosexuals, to those who fantasize about imposing a religious test for public office.   ...   More at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #485 on: December 13, 2017, 01:53:51 pm »
Moore's election would have led to an ethics investigation

Do you honestly think that senators would be willing to investigate 40 year old activities of a senator? We could go back 40 years on anyone if that was allowed.
If Moore was a Democrat, would we even be talking about this? Ted Kennedy? Gerry Studds?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Concerned

« Reply #486 on: December 13, 2017, 01:59:47 pm »
Ah, but we are.   Moore's election would have led to an ethics investigation and the truly divisive prospect of forcing out a member elected by the voters.   Moore's defeat allows this debacle to be put behind us so we can concentrate on keeping the Senate, which is of course the key to securing conservative jurists.      The numbers still favor the GOP - and without Moore's baggage I remain cautiously optimistic.   

I agree @Jazzhead I actually think this was probably the best outcome for Republicans.  Had Moore won, the resultant ethics investigation and whatever that outcome was would have kept this situation in the news and further divided the Republican Party.  During the mid-terms, we'd see videotape after videotape tying incumbent GOP Senators to an "accused child molester" every time they shook Moore's hand, patted him on the back, or had lunch with him. The Dems are defending 25 seats in the Senate (including the "Independents") while the Reps are defending 8 (with 6 of those being pretty safe).  As long as the GOP can keep Trump from campaigning for them, I think the GOP has a fighting chance.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #487 on: December 13, 2017, 02:07:59 pm »
I agree @Jazzhead I actually think this was probably the best outcome for Republicans.  Had Moore won, the resultant ethics investigation and whatever that outcome was would have kept this situation in the news and further divided the Republican Party.  During the mid-terms, we'd see videotape after videotape tying incumbent GOP Senators to an "accused child molester" every time they shook Moore's hand, patted him on the back, or had lunch with him. The Dems are defending 25 seats in the Senate (including the "Independents") while the Reps are defending 8 (with 6 of those being pretty safe).  As long as the GOP can keep Trump from campaigning for them, I think the GOP has a fighting chance.

At least Trump Pence save lives. You really are a big man with this Trump dumping that you seem to find so much self-righteousness in.  To me, it's not that much difference than what the left says. You have made a number of these comments, so it's time to say something back.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #488 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:38 pm »
@Sighlass

Bullshit. 

@CatherineofAragon

:amen: :patriot: 888high58888 :beer:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Concerned

« Reply #489 on: December 13, 2017, 02:15:38 pm »
At least Trump Pence save lives. You really are a big man with this Trump dumping that you seem to find so much self-righteousness in.  To me, it's not that much difference than what the left says. You have made a number of these comments, so it's time to say something back.

I encourage everyone to express their honest opinion, and I attempt not to personally attack them when they do it.  As for "Trump dumping", when the President does something I find praise-worthy, I've praised him, and I’ve done it right here on TBR on the following:  Gorsuch, cutting regulations, hurricane responses in FL and TX, fixing the VA, his speech after Las Vegas, and freeing up Rules of Engagement in the attack against ISIS.   If you think Trump, with his approving ratings in the 30's and disapproval ratings around 60, campaigning for 8 GOP incumbent Senators will help, you are entitled to that opinion, I just don't think it will likely help them.  If you consider that "Trump dumping", fair enough.  I consider it looking at the available data (including the results last night in ruby red Alabama) and coming to a logical conclusion. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:30:27 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

debrawiest

« Reply #490 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
The only possible good to come out of this disgusting fiasco is that maybe, just maybe we’ve heard the last of Steve Bannon.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #491 on: December 13, 2017, 02:18:46 pm »
So the reason why that Moore lost was because of:

1. Deep State
2. Mitch McConnell
3. The Media
4. GOPe
5. The Bilderbergers
6. Free Masons
7. The Stonecutters

Not because he was a s**tty candidate...

Ok..
Interesting to see that so many here don't find it disturbing that someone no Conservative would remotely want in office has been elected, propelled into office by a wave of absolute tabloid level sewage.

It doesn't bother people here that a man's good name has been repeatedly and continuously sullied on the basis of shaky allegations which have been shown to be false or to be based on falsified materials, questionable allegations that date back to the Carter Administration. Some of you have carried the firebrand even here, calling for more wood around the stake.

Yet not one of you was howling for the prosecution of Hillary's well known, well documented, and lucrative crimes affecting National Security not ten years ago.
It puts a new spin on "If it bleeds it leads", not that Hillary hasn't blood on her hands.

That the presumption of innocence has been so readily discarded to gleefully attack a man who has stood in the breach for traditional marriage to the point he lost a prestigious job over it, by people who claim to support the Constitution is a disturbing development, indeed.

The Democrats (Yes, Virginia, there was not one Republican among his accusers and their repeater broadcast network at WaPo), the MSM who played the same 24/7 stuff until people mumbled it in their sleep using the same buzzwords as the Media, and Mitch McConnell, all too happy to throw Moore umder the buss because his buddy didn't get the nomination.

And, yes, the GOPe, who just didn't want Moore privy to the stuff they do in DC because he's the kind of guy who has a track record for standing up for what he thinks is right, and that might not play well with the Kings of K Street.

But even more, I must credit the suckers of America, the great people who believe what they hear and see on teevee, who buy overpriced stuff shown on late-night half hour commercials and give the extra one as a gift (just pay an extra fee, 'cause shipping is free). It is the gullible of America who will conquer this country from within, who (once again) have raised  their heads from whatever picture book they and sounding out the captions and spewed an opinion that would keep the inevitable fickle finger of national attention pointed somewhere else, so their secretary doesn't twist off in a fit of pique and expose a stray pat or touch and claim she, too, has been wronged and the offender should hang after a fast trial by allegation in the court of public opinion.

If this is the world you want, it is the world you get.
When the day comes, stand proudly in front of your Creator and receive the reward you so richly deserve.

In the meantime the slaughter of innocents will continue unopposed, in fact, supported by the new guy from Alabama, and even one here who brays often about being proud voting for the most pro life president, etc, stood in opposition to the candidate who would have fought for the unborn to have something other than an express ticket to the waste bin or a human parts supply house.

For those of you gloating over this loss, you lose, too. The veil has been ripped from your hypocrisy. You don't want Constitutional Government, You don't want a Republic,  nor the protections of a presumption of innocence--you want mob rule, and blood in the streets. A chicken in every pot and some SOB hanging from every lamppost. You are one step closer to getting your wish. When things have finally degraded to be as they were in the times of Noah, we'll see what trumps what. Opinions won't matter in the face of His wrath.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #492 on: December 13, 2017, 02:22:41 pm »
Told you so.

Effing idiots.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #493 on: December 13, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »
Well, maybe the silver lining is Republicans refusing to allow the ends to justify the means will lead to better candidates and better solidarity down the road.

We can only hope....

In essence, Alabama's message to Roy Moore was "... and the horse you rode in on!".  It does not mean that Alabama has suddenly gone blue or even purple; it is still a solidly Republican state, for now. 

A better candidate... any better candidate in fact, would have likely changed the results.

If there is any silver lining here, it might be that Republicans did not have to endure watching a Moore victory party last night at Aeropostale or Build-a-Bear. :whistle:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #494 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:24 pm »
The only possible good to come out of this disgusting fiasco is that maybe, just maybe we’ve heard the last of Steve Bannon.

No way.  I listened to Breitbart radio for a few minutes this morning out of curiousity, and he was on and unrepentant. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #495 on: December 13, 2017, 02:26:01 pm »
Interesting to see that so many here don't find it disturbing that someone no Conservative would remotely want in office has been elected, propelled into office by a wave of absolute tabloid level sewage.

LOL. Nice try. Roy Moore was garbage before these scandals. He is a jackass, a moron, Steve Bannon stooge, a phony bible thumping Jesus freak, a perpetual loser. Even if you remove the fact that he admitted to playing big boy games with little girls, he was still wearing a leather vest, cowboy hat, waving a gun and riding a horse in Alabama in 2017. Maybe he can win a Yosemite Sam contest somewhere.

Don't worry though. Roy is going to talk to his lawyers about a recount......as soon as they get back to work after Hanukkah.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #496 on: December 13, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »

They came D@mn close to it with Obama.

They are damned close to it now given that several who currently "serve" there with Rs behind their names are really democrats.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:33 pm »
We can blame the media, blame the GOPe, blame the Democrat slime machine, etc.  Bottom line: Moore was not a good candidate.  He took his handlers' advice and laid low for the last several weeks of the campaign, and that (plus Shelby's rejection) cost him the election.  If Moore was the anti-establishment bulwark he was made out to be, he would have been on the campaign trail giving them hell.  Instead, it seemed like every time he or his wife opened their mouths, stupidity came out.

Trump also looks bad today.  He tried to save Moore, and now Trump has egg all over his face.  I don't doubt that the price of Trump's endorsement was that Moore STFU for the remainder of the campaign, and that was not very good advice.  Voters do not trust candidates who avoid going out and seeing them.  The same thing happened to Hitlery in 2016. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #498 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
So the reason why that Moore lost was because of:

1. Deep State
2. Mitch McConnell
3. The Media
4. GOPe
5. The Bilderbergers
6. Free Masons
7. The Stonecutters

Not because he was a s**tty candidate...

Ok..

Roy Moore lost because FAR too many have now been brainwashed in public schools and have exactly NO idea how this once great republic was designed to work!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #499 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:49 pm »

It doesn't bother people here that a man's good name has been repeatedly and continuously sullied on the basis of shaky allegations which have been shown to be false or to be based on falsified materials, questionable allegations that date back to the Carter Administration. Some of you have carried the firebrand even here, calling for more wood around the stake.

Yet not one of you was howling for the prosecution of Hillary's well known, well documented, and lucrative crimes affecting National Security not ten years ago.
It puts a new spin on "If it bleeds it leads", not that Hillary hasn't blood on her hands.

That the presumption of innocence has been so readily discarded to gleefully attack a man who has stood in the breach for traditional marriage to the point he lost a prestigious job over it, by people who claim to support the Constitution is a disturbing development, indeed.

The Democrats (Yes, Virginia, there was not one Republican among his accusers and their repeater broadcast network at WaPo), the MSM who played the same 24/7 stuff until people mumbled it in their sleep using the same buzzwords as the Media, and Mitch McConnell, all too happy to throw Moore umder the buss because his buddy didn't get the nomination.

And, yes, the GOPe, who just didn't want Moore privy to the stuff they do in DC because he's the kind of guy who has a track record for standing up for what he thinks is right, and that might not play well with the Kings of K Street.

But even more, I must credit the suckers of America, the great people who believe what they hear and see on teevee, who buy overpriced stuff shown on late-night half hour commercials and give the extra one as a gift (just pay an extra fee, 'cause shipping is free). It is the gullible of America who will conquer this country from within, who (once again) have raised  their heads from whatever picture book they and sounding out the captions and spewed an opinion that would keep the inevitable fickle finger of national attention pointed somewhere else, so their secretary doesn't twist off in a fit of pique and expose a stray pat or touch and claim she, too, has been wronged and the offender should hang after a fast trial by allegation in the court of public opinion.

If this is the world you want, it is the world you get.
When the day comes, stand proudly in front of your Creator and receive the reward you so richly deserve.

In the meantime the slaughter of innocents will continue unopposed, in fact, supported by the new guy from Alabama, and even one here who brays often about being proud voting for the most pro life president, etc, stood in opposition to the candidate who would have fought for the unborn to have something other than an express ticket to the waste bin or a human parts supply house.

For those of you gloating over this loss, you lose, too. The veil has been ripped from your hypocrisy. You don't want Constitutional Government, You don't want a Republic,  nor the protections of a presumption of innocence--you want mob rule, and blood in the streets. A chicken in every pot and some SOB hanging from every lamppost. You are one step closer to getting your wish. When things have finally degraded to be as they were in the times of Noah, we'll see what trumps what. Opinions won't matter in the face of His wrath.

A dozen thumbs up to that, sir!