Author Topic: Flabbergasted: Frank Luntz Shocked As Alabamians Back Roy Moore in Vice News Focus Group  (Read 2898 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I think the woman in question proves you're wrong.

Yeah?  How?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I am surprised. Being familiar Southern culture, I seem to have a better understanding of what it was like in the deep South, even as soon as fifty years ago than many other people. People were very poor. For a daughter to 'date' a successful man of means was an honor to the family.

My father was from Kentucky. My mother was from Mississippi.

According to my mother, my father bought her from my grandfather. The price was a pair of heavy field boots. Of course, my grandmother had 13 children. Twelve of them survived. So, trading a daughter for a pair of boots was one less mouth to feed, and a female at that. So she wouldn't lessen the workforce in the fields by leaving.

According to my aunts, uncles, grandparents, and parents, back then it was common for girls to get out of the house young to make their own way with their new husbands. A wedding was a big event back then. It meant a new woman in the community and a new family in the valley.

Age really didn't factor into it, unless the woman was too old, say mid twenties. That would be considered a mercy marriage.

There are so many people today who just don't know what they are talking about. Including several people on this board.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:52:22 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline berdie

Yep - when Ms. Richardson admitted to dating a 31 year old at 16, she sure dispelled any notions of being backwards.

Your profile indicates you are from Kansas. According to the internet (so it must be true) the age of consent in Kansas is 16...same as Alabama.

I mean no disrespect and I feel sure you don't feel like you sound. :laugh:

Offline RoosGirl

Your profile indicates you are from Kansas. According to the internet (so it must be true) the age of consent in Kansas is 16...same as Alabama.

I imagine he feels something like walking through this barefoot.

Offline edpc

I’m not a native of this state - moved here for work a couple years back and disagree with that standard.  Florida born Navy brat, where the age of consent is 18.

Offline RoosGirl

I’m not a native of this state - moved here for work a couple years back and disagree with that standard.  Florida born Navy brat, where the age of consent is 18.

Were you at the Navy base in Orlando?

Offline edpc

Were you at the Navy base in Orlando?

With this guy?

No, my father was stationed in Pensacola when I was born.  Eventually we went over to Jacksonville, then to Puerto Rico before he retired.

Offline berdie

Thank you for the very civil response.