Author Topic: New Study Shows Gay Men Have Variation Of DNA Over Straight men  (Read 27548 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: New Study Shows Gay Men Have Variation Of DNA Over Straight men
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2017, 11:01:58 pm »
And what happens when the political winds change?

Homosexuals were also exterminated by this junk science in the Nazi Camps.

That's a part of 'What Difference It Makes' at this time in history or any other time.

If you were not locked into your provincial western world thinking and looked around, you would see that gays are still be exterminated. The fact that you overlooked that brings back the question what difference does it make.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »
If you were not locked into your provincial western world thinking and looked around, you would see that gays are still be exterminated. The fact that you overlooked that brings back the question what difference does it make.

Here Frank. In the U.S.

The way these scum sterilized 20,000 genetic defectives/feeble minded/undesireables in California.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/15/health/california-forced-sterilizations/index.html

What happens after we hit our 2nd or 3rd currency devaluation in the United States and Govt realizes it can't afford to toss anymore crumbs to the people to buy their acquiescence?

It may not be gays.

Next time it could be political conservatives.

Govt is funding this research. So Govt owns it.

Letting Govt buy a hammer like this one is a good idea, how?

Have we all so soon forgotten Margaret Sanger and her 'Human Weeds'?

All part and parcel of the same horror.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2017, 11:18:12 pm »
If homosexuality was completely genetic, then all identical twins would be homosexuals.  Studies of identical twins reveal that they are more likely to be gay than brothers or fraternal twins, but nowhere near 100 percent.  Most studies range from 30-50 percent gay cocordance among identical twins.  This suggests a genetic factor, but that sexual orientation is also due to non-genetic factors.  By definition, everything non-genetic is "learned."

The hard science on this is unambiguous.  The politics of it is another matter.

https://www.exodusglobalalliance.org/twinstudieswhatdotheyshowp40.php

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2017, 11:22:34 pm »
The field of Behavioral Genetics itself is not a single micron closer to proving Any of its specious crap today than it was when Joseph Mengele was using it as an excuse for his ghoulish experiments.
Ad hominem.

In reality, though they won't "prove" anything, they have made great strides. For example, the Minnesota Twin Family Study (MTFS) has shown that twins raised apart still have similar behaviors.

Do the genetics force behavior? No. But that doesn't mean they don't affect them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2017, 11:44:50 pm »
Here Frank. In the U.S.

The way these scum sterilized 20,000 genetic defectives/feeble minded/undesireables in California.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/15/health/california-forced-sterilizations/index.html

What happens after we hit our 2nd or 3rd currency devaluation in the United States and Govt realizes it can't afford to toss anymore crumbs to the people to buy their acquiescence?

It may not be gays.

Letting Govt buy a hammer like this one is a good idea, how?

Have we all so soon forgotten Margaret Sanger and her 'Human Weeds'?

All part and parcel of the same horror.

People are going to find a "valid" reason to hate the people they do.  The gov't does stuff all the time that is not bound in common sense much less solid scientific analysis.

Oceander

« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:06 pm »
If homosexuality was completely genetic, then all identical twins would be homosexuals.  Studies of identical twins reveal that they are more likely to be gay than brothers or fraternal twins, but nowhere near 100 percent.  Most studies range from 30-50 percent gay cocordance among identical twins.  This suggests a genetic factor, but that sexual orientation is also due to non-genetic factors.  By definition, everything non-genetic is "learned."

Yes, but you have conceded the basic argument, which is that there is a genetic aspect to being gay.  The rest is simply filling in the prosaic details. 

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:04 am »
Ad hominem.

In reality, though they won't "prove" anything, they have made great strides. For example, the Minnesota Twin Family Study (MTFS) has shown that twins raised apart still have similar behaviors.

Do the genetics force behavior? No. But that doesn't mean they don't affect them.

Proof please. If anything here is ad hominum it's Your assertions.

PROOF. Provide it.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2017, 12:08:59 am »
People are going to find a "valid" reason to hate the people they do.  The gov't does stuff all the time that is not bound in common sense much less solid scientific analysis.

You got that right on the head.

Problem is allowing this stuff to cloak itself in science, which sounds better once Govt decides 'We Need A Program To Address This Problem.'

That is the point at which it becomes 'Katy Bar The Door.'

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2017, 12:38:24 am »
How come laypersons just fling their opinions about scientific subjects back and forth, with no mention of the experiments, data etc.?

--DNA science is in its infancy

--DNA science is being aggressively pursued for medical applications

--DNA science is already considered proved such that it is used for criminal justice, paternity, genealogy, etc.

--The rate of discoveries is accelerating, as if often the case in scientific breakthroughs.

--The subset called Epigenetics deals with nature/nurture combinations whereby environmental changes, wind up changing DNA over time.

People actually study such things, beyond holding pre-conceived opinions.
You left out: DNA science is being aggressively pursued for political applications.

After all those decades of the effects of Margaret Sanger and her ilk, the eugenic aspect cannot be ignored. It may not show now, but it will--again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2017, 01:26:13 am »
To Whose Benefit asks:
"If a person's Lesbian/Gay Behavior is in their DNA it will then be passed along to offspring, how ever many generations removed. Dominant/Recessive genes etc.
Since Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce, then Why haven't those recessive genes already eliminated themselves out of the human gene pool?"

Did you read the post I put up here?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2846164/posts?page=67#67

"A naturally-occuring aberration from the norm..."

(I guess no one else read it, either)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Yes, but you have conceded the basic argument, which is that there is a genetic aspect to being gay.  The rest is simply filling in the prosaic details.

I think the evidence is clear that there is indeed a genetic component, but not enough to say that all gays are "born that way," which is what most gay activists insist we believe.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:58 am »
I think the evidence is clear that there is indeed a genetic component, but not enough to say that all gays are "born that way," which is what most gay activists insist we believe.

I can agree with that.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:26 am »

No offense meant, but you and the study ignore in utero possibilities. Fraternal twins' pre-natal environment could be the "environment" piece, not just post-natal.

IOW, the following is false, if by learning you mean during rearing:
By definition, everything non-genetic is "learned."
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:35 am »
Proof please. If anything here is ad hominum it's Your assertions.

PROOF. Provide it.

It appears you do not understand the definition of "ad hominem".

Proof of what? I provided evidence.
+++++++++

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2017, 02:43:45 am »
No offense meant, but you and the study ignore in utero possibilities. Fraternal twins' pre-natal environment could be the "environment" piece, not just post-natal.

IOW, the following is false, if by learning you mean during rearing:

Learning can occur any time.  In psychology, anything not genetic is "learned."  I suppose that includes in the womb.  Every study I am aware of shows a continuum of concordance of homosexuality from low concordance among unrelated men, to higher concordance among brothers, then even higher among fraternal twins and finally highest among identical twins.  That is exactly what one would expect if there was a genetic factor.  But again, the fact that not even a majority (in most studies) of identical twins are concordant means that genetics is not the primary determinant.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2017, 03:16:06 am »
Learning can occur any time.  In psychology, anything not genetic is "learned."  I suppose that includes in the womb.  Every study I am aware of shows a continuum of concordance of homosexuality from low concordance among unrelated men, to higher concordance among brothers, then even higher among fraternal twins and finally highest among identical twins.  That is exactly what one would expect if there was a genetic factor.  But again, the fact that not even a majority (in most studies) of identical twins are concordant means that genetics is not the primary determinant.

A better term would be "environmental" factors. For example, if twins were reared together in a home with formaldehyde-containing products, it's not "learned" but might affect them similarly.

+++++++++

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »

That's a reasonable statement.   Most of the gays I know with whom I've talked to about the subject think they were always that way,  but none are in the category of promiscuous, bathhouse-lifestyle gays.   They all yearned to find their true love and settle down,  and have been in stable relationships for decades.   It is for these friends that I've become such an advocate for gay marriage -  and why I could not ultimately stay in a church that insists they be labeled abominations.   

It's best not to paint any group of people with the same broad brush (and yes, that goes for evangelical Christians too, and I admit I need to be less judgmental in that regard).   Those who've suffered abuse and degradation are, I'd think, more likely to engage in promiscuous, self-hating behavior.   And those who came from more stable environments likely want the same things many of the rest of us do.    There's nothing more satisfying than at the end of the day than knowing that you've been loved,  for then, for now, and (I trust and pray) forever. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:41:53 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2017, 01:38:13 pm »
That sounds reasonable, and the genetic component may well affect the endocrine system. Hormonal variation could account for a lot, including behavioural traits and tendencies.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
That's a reasonable statement.   Most of the gays I know with whom I've talked to about the subject think they were always that way,  but none are in the category of promiscuous, bathhouse-lifestyle gays.   They all yearned to find their true love and settle down,  and have been in stable relationships for decades.   It is for these friends that I've become such an advocate for gay marriage -  and why I could not ultimately stay in a church that insists they be labeled abominations. 

We recently had this discussion at the church I attend (Lutheran).  The Evangelical Lutheran Church is moving more and more in the direction of accepting gays, whereas there are a number of local splinter groups joining a more doctrinaire organization called "Common Core" in order to announce themselves as more orthodox.  We had a very contentious meeting last Sunday as to whether we should join Common Core. 

The discussion was quite robust and thoughtful, with the orthodox types talking about the bible as our source for the rules of morality, and how if we accept the bible as the word of God, we have to regard homosexuality as a sin, just as all sex outside of marriage is a sin, and that gay marriage falls outside the bounds of the bible's definition of marriage.  The liberals in the congregation talked about being on the wrong side of history, and compared this to slavery (quite a compelling argument in central Pennsylvania, in a congregation made up of the great grandchildren of abolitionists). 

Because I am not a member of the congregation (although my wife and I have been going there every Sunday for over 6 months), the pastor asked us to count the votes.  It was 60/40 in favor of the Common Core, which surprised me.  I thought it would be higher.

Myself, I see both sides of this, and I don't choose my church based on this issue.  My wife was Anglican before she moved to the USA, and she had a gay female pastor in her old church for many years, so she does not see how this is any big deal.  I have sympathy for those who say we don't choose what is in the bible, it is fixed.  It is rather unambiguous when it comes to this issue.  On the other hand, I think I'd rather be in a church that was more inclusive, and I am certain Jesus Christ himself would as well.

I guess that is the underlying question: how would Christ regard homosexuals?  I have no doubt He would love them.  But would He regard them as in need of repentance?  Or would He recognize gay love as "love" in the biblical sense.  I simply don't know for certain.  The Christ I understand in my heart would perform gay marriages.  But the one I read about in the pages of the New Testament would not.  That, for me, is my conundrum.  Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what the majority of people in the church I attend think.

For me, my Christian morality is a personal journey, and I am not one to join groups.  And so I will worship in pretty much any place I am welcome.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:43:55 pm by massadvj »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2017, 03:52:20 pm »
We recently had this discussion at the church I attend (Lutheran).  The Evangelical Lutheran Church is moving more and more in the direction of accepting gays, whereas there are a number of local splinter groups joining a more doctrinaire organization called "Common Core" in order to announce themselves as more orthodox.  We had a very contentious meeting last Sunday as to whether we should join Common Core. 

The discussion was quite robust and thoughtful, with the orthodox types talking about the bible as our source for the rules of morality, and how if we accept the bible as the word of God, we have to regard homosexuality as a sin, just as all sex outside of marriage is a sin, and that gay marriage falls outside the bounds of the bible's definition of marriage.  The liberals in the congregation talked about being on the wrong side of history, and compared this to slavery (quite a compelling argument in central Pennsylvania, in a congregation made up of the great grandchildren of abolitionists). 

Because I am not a member of the congregation (although my wife and I have been going there every Sunday for over 6 months), the pastor asked us to count the votes.  It was 60/40 in favor of the Common Core, which surprised me.  I thought it would be higher.

Myself, I see both sides of this, and I don't choose my church based on this issue.  My wife was Anglican before she moved to the USA, and she had a gay female pastor in her old church for many years, so she does not see how this is any big deal.  I have sympathy for those who say we don't choose what is in the bible, it is fixed.  It is rather unambiguous when it comes to this issue.  On the other hand, I think I'd rather be in a church that was more inclusive, and I am certain Jesus Christ himself would as well.

I guess that is the underlying question: how would Christ regard homosexuals?  I have no doubt He would love them.  But would He regard them as in need of repentance?  Or would He recognize gay love as "love" in the biblical sense.  I simply don't know for certain.  The Christ I understand in my heart would perform gay marriages.  But the one I read about in the pages of the New Testament would not.  That, for me, is my conundrum.  Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what the majority of people in the church I attend think.

For me, my Christian morality is a personal journey, and I am not one to join groups.  And so I will worship in pretty much any place I am welcome.

@massadvj
I'm not sure I understand, if you believe the Bible is the word of God but then you don't believe in what it says?  The Bible shows Jesus would treat all people with love but that doesn't mean he would condone sin.

The old testament defines marriage and establishes that sex is between 1 man and 1 woman in marriage.  The NT affirms this.  Its not about hate its about God setting up his law and us doing our best to follow them.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2017, 04:01:39 pm »
@massadvj
I'm not sure I understand, if you believe the Bible is the word of God but then you don't believe in what it says?  The Bible shows Jesus would treat all people with love but that doesn't mean he would condone sin.

The old testament defines marriage and establishes that sex is between 1 man and 1 woman in marriage.  The NT affirms this.  Its not about hate its about God setting up his law and us doing our best to follow them.
Amen....

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »
@massadvj

I fully understand.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2017, 04:08:25 pm »
That's a reasonable statement.   Most of the gays I know with whom I've talked to about the subject think they were always that way, 

Which is odd because most people don't believe that. Most people believe they started becoming romantically attracted after a certain age.
Saying that attractions are genetic is ridiculous. There is a genetic predisposition to be attracted to bikers or women in leggings? Not only that, attractions change over time.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »

Not conservatives but poor people, those who are a drain on society, uneducated, unemployed etc. People with money liberal  and conservative alike will always be ok.

I fully predict one day third world countries who refuse to keep their populations in check will be flown over by the a special plane to sterilize the masses or it will be put in their water supply. Especially since robots are taking over and million of current working folks will be out of  a job.

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2017, 04:18:54 pm »
Thanks for your thoughtful response,  massadvj

I have sympathy for those who say we don't choose what is in the bible, it is fixed.  It is rather unambiguous when it comes to this issue.  On the other hand, I think I'd rather be in a church that was more inclusive, and I am certain Jesus Christ himself would as well.

I guess that is the underlying question: how would Christ regard homosexuals?  I have no doubt He would love them.  But would He regard them as in need of repentance?  Or would He recognize gay love as "love" in the biblical sense.  I simply don't know for certain.  The Christ I understand in my heart would perform gay marriages.  But the one I read about in the pages of the New Testament would not.  That, for me, is my conundrum. 

This,  for me, is the bottom line - what would Jesus do?   And I cannot believe, will not believe, that He would consider homosexuals in monogamous, covenant relationships to be abominations.   And that the Christ I understand in my heart would indeed perform gay marriages.   

For now at least,  I cannot reconcile my love for and understanding of Christ with membership in the Christian community.   My faith is, for now, a solitary undertaking.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide