Author Topic: Melania Trump and Karen Pence treat press to Whataburger lunch during Texas visit  (Read 8443 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I've had the same reaction.  I just get their hot dogs now.   

I have also been disappointed to discover that In-and-Out burgers seem only slightly better than Five Guys.  Whataburgers are over-the-top juicy/tasty, IMHO.

The only way to get a better burger than Whataburger is to make it yourself!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline threadbender

@threadbender won this particular contest, hands down.
@Sanguine
Thank you! I think I may make burgers tonight. Or, I will go down the street and get some! Their cheese curds are awesome too!

Offline threadbender

Overcooked and overpriced.
@thackney absolutely. Went there when they opened on south of us. I had heard how they are the best around. Well, it cost a fortune and we waited forever and it was like eating grease on a bun. I will stick to Culvers!

Offline Idiot

When in Austin try P.Terry's..
http://pterrys.com/menu/ 
Great guy started it....good friend of my family.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
When in Austin try P.Terry's..
http://pterrys.com/menu/ 
Great guy started it....good friend of my family.

There's an even better one in Austin:  BigDaddy's:  http://bigdaddysaustin.com/menu/

I am a bit of a burger aficionado, and theirs is the best I've ever had.  And, get a to-go box when you order.

Offline the_doc

There's an even better one in Austin:  BigDaddy's:  http://bigdaddysaustin.com/menu/

I am a bit of a burger aficionado, and theirs is the best I've ever had.  And, get a to-go box when you order.

Speaking of Austin, is Dirty's Place still there on Guadalupe?  Their O.T. burger was wonderful (but that was 30+ years ago for me).

Offline Night Hides Not

@edpc
@Sanguine
@Smokin Joe

Sounds like you have never tasted a Whataburger, friend Frank.  They are actually among the best fast-food burgers in the country.  McDonald's taste like cardboard by comparison, IMO.

Unlike other fast food establishments, Whataburger has never gotten my order wrong.

They do a good job with rotating burger styles, such as the Chorizo Burger currently on the menu. That's not my cup of tea, I prefer the sweet & spicy burger. Their burgers aren't nearly as salty as what you'll find at McDonalds or Wendys.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Speaking of Austin, is Dirty's Place still there on Guadalupe?  Their O.T. burger was wonderful (but that was 30+ years ago for me).

It is!  I haven't been there in years either.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2938993,-97.7420369,3a,75y,287.88h,102.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snc9qfEBPPVh88HwiiW1T9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:17:35 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Night Hides Not

In-N-Out started in 1948, family owned and never screwed with the menu, they are the best in the country :tongue2:

I'll give them credit for moving their operations to Texas. They're done with Cali.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline thackney

The only way to get a better burger than Whataburger is to make it yourself!

Nope, but you are close enough to taste the better, not a chain:

http://tornadoburger.com/menu/

They grind their own meat, get the spicy with garlic, onion, jalapeño and other spices ground into the meat.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

They grind their own meat, get the spicy with garlic, onion, jalapeño and other spices ground into the meat.

Next time I'm in that area I'll try them out!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

Although I love Whataburger, nothing can top the cheeseburgers at a little restaurant in Traben-Trarbach. I doubt it's still in business as I've been gone 35 years. They also ground their own meat, baked their own buns, and they were topped with carmelized onions.

They also had Konigsbacher beer on tap.

The McDonalds in Europe were very cool, as they served beer. In Amsterdam, you could get a Heineken with your Big Mac, for example.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Although I love Whataburger, nothing can top the cheeseburgers at a little restaurant in Traben-Trarbach. I doubt it's still in business as I've been gone 35 years. They also ground their own meat, baked their own buns, and they were topped with carmelized onions.

They also had Konigsbacher beer on tap.

The McDonalds in Europe were very cool, as they served beer. In Amsterdam, you could get a Heineken with your Big Mac, for example.

I do caramelized onions, finished off with a bit of balsamic vinegar, for burgers.  Ummmmm.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Overcooked and overpriced.

I've heard friends complain that Five Guys is overcooked ... and ask specifically for medium when ordering.

But then I like my meat cooked well, so it's perfect for me!   ^-^

Offline thackney

I've heard friends complain that Five Guys is overcooked ... and ask specifically for medium when ordering.

But then I like my meat cooked well, so it's perfect for me!   ^-^

When I asked in the past, they said they are only allowed to cook one way, brown all the way through.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

When I asked in the past, they said they are only allowed to cook one way, brown all the way through.

Didn't hear that reply .... but it would explain why my friends were so damn disappointed!

Offline Frank Cannon

I love it when a good hijack comes together....

Offline thackney

I love it when a good hijack comes together....

Many of the Texans will tell you the important topic of the original article was Whataburger.  We really haven't strayed too far.

Offline Just_Victor

As non chain burger joints go, the Burger Barn in Manvel (not far from you as I recall) is one of the best I've had.  Especially for the price.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

As non chain burger joints go, the Burger Barn in Manvel (not far from you as I recall) is one of the best I've had.  Especially for the price.

That is a good one, about as close as anything to us on Hwy 6.  More choices but I would favor the flavor of the spicy burger at Tornado.

Offline GrouchoTex

@thackney

One of my favorite places.
For chains: Whataburger.
One-off: Tornado Burger.
It also happens to be down the street from on of my favorite beer joints, the Stafford ice house.
That spicy burger at Tornado is excellent.
Farther down the street is Tornado Taco, but I haven't tried them yet.

Just curious: did Melania and company go to that 2-story Whataburger in downtown Corpus?
I figured they would have, but I couldn't tell by the photo.

Offline GrouchoTex

Burger Barn is good.
They've opened up one in Rosenberg now.

Offline thackney

@thackney

One of my favorite places.
For chains: Whataburger.
One-off: Tornado Burger.
It also happens to be down the street from on of my favorite beer joints, the Stafford ice house.
That spicy burger at Tornado is excellent.
Farther down the street is Tornado Taco, but I haven't tried them yet.

Just curious: did Melania and company go to that 2-story Whataburger in downtown Corpus?
I figured they would have, but I couldn't tell by the photo.

Tornado Taco we sometimes hit after church for breakfast tacos.  When we used to live closer I hit them on the way to work.  I've only had them for breakfast.

I don't know which Whataburger.

Offline GrouchoTex

Tornado Taco we sometimes hit after church for breakfast tacos.  When we used to live closer I hit them on the way to work.  I've only had them for breakfast.

I don't know which Whataburger.

Whataburger has opened up at Hwy 6 and 90A, close to me.
The closest one before that was 1092/Murphy.

Offline GrouchoTex

Unlike other fast food establishments, Whataburger has never gotten my order wrong.

They do a good job with rotating burger styles, such as the Chorizo Burger currently on the menu. That's not my cup of tea, I prefer the sweet & spicy burger. Their burgers aren't nearly as salty as what you'll find at McDonalds or Wendys.

Double meat add cheese, bacon, and jalapenos, with fries and a Dr Pepper.
(This may explain why my clothes aren't fitting anymore).