Author Topic: Trump's lawyer: The president can't obstruct justice  (Read 1152 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's lawyer: The president can't obstruct justice
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:39 pm »
Trump's lawyer: The president can't obstruct justice
by Caitlin Yilek | Dec 4, 2017, 8:20 AM

President Trump’s personal lawyer said the president cannot obstruct justice, despite arguments from Democrats that special counsel Robert Mueller is building a case for obstruction.

“[The] president cannot obstruct justice because he is the chief law enforcement office under [the Constitution’s Article II] and has every right to express his view of any case,” John Dowd told Axios.

A weekend tweet from Trump about his former national security adviser Michael Flynn prompted questions about whether Trump knew Flynn had lied to the FBI about his conversations with Russia’s ambassador before he fired him.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-lawyer-the-president-cant-obstruct-justice/article/2642441
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Trump's lawyer: The president can't obstruct justice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:09:42 pm »
Alan Dershowitz: 'You cannot charge a president with obstruction of justice for exercising his constitutional power'
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/alan-dershowitz-you-cannot-charge-a-president-with-obstruction-of-justice-for-exercising-his-constitutional-power/article/2642440
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »
Alan Dershowitz: 'You cannot charge a president with obstruction of justice for exercising his constitutional power'
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/alan-dershowitz-you-cannot-charge-a-president-with-obstruction-of-justice-for-exercising-his-constitutional-power/article/2642440

But what the hell does Alan Dershowitz know about it? /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:19:14 pm »
Well, I guess "collusion" is an official dead end.  Now, back to "obstruction".   

Offline Concerned

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »
And yet the first article of impeachment against President Nixon was that he "prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice".

https://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/lewis/1025/articlesNixon.pdf
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:51:52 pm »
And yet the first article of impeachment against President Nixon was that he "prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice".

Andrew Napolitano on Fox just mentioned the Nixon reference and said NO ONE is immuned to be charged with obstruction including the POTUS
Support the USO

Offline jpsb

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »

The president can not legally obstruct justice but he can be impeached for it. Or any other thing Congress decide to impeach over.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:29 pm »
Andrew Napolitano on Fox just mentioned the Nixon reference and said NO ONE is immuned to be charged with obstruction including the POTUS

Andrew Napolitano is one of the most ill informed people on Fox.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:12:06 pm »
“[The] president cannot obstruct justice because he is the chief law enforcement office under [the Constitution’s Article II] and has every right to express his view of any case,” John Dowd told Axios.

OK, then you say he cannot be charged with obstruction in this instance. You don’t make a blanket statement that the president cannot obstruct justice.  Anyone can.

As a lawyer, he should know the importance of wording.  Seems like Captain Sloppy Tweet learned absolutely nothing from yesterday.

Perjury and obstruction of justice were the charges against Clinton.  He was impeached.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:22:21 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 04:15:03 pm »
Well, I guess "collusion" is an official dead end.  Now, back to "obstruction".

After obstruction fails, comes “facilitation” or “murder of the English language” or sumptin nasty sounding but irrelevant. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 04:17:11 pm »
After obstruction fails, comes “facilitation” or “murder of the English language” or sumptin nasty sounding but irrelevant. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Pretty sure that "murder of the English language" charge would stick.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 04:21:52 pm »
Perjury and obstruction of justice were the charges against Clinton.  He was impeached.

Impeachment is a political process. It does not take place in a court house there is no judge, there are very few rules. It is not a judicial process.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:00 pm »

Convicted and sentenced to remedial speech class...for the safety and security of ‘Merica.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »

LOL, I think u r right.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:35 pm »
I’ll never be mistaken for a Trumper, but I believe the collusion and obstruction narratives are complete BS.  That said, Trump could find himself in real trouble due to the incompetence of his counsel.  So far, Dowd and Cohen have looked like absolute fools.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:35:10 pm by edpc »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:40:11 pm »
There are no real "grounds" for impeachment, because it is not a criminal charge. It is a purely political act and, literally, anything can be cited as the cause of action...the charge could be "failing to trim his toenails" for example. In legal terms, it is VERY true that the president cannot commit the crime of obstruction nor collusion. Those terms can be tossed into an impeachment article, but so could "swiss cheese" or "bananas". It is not a legal case that is made, but rather, a political one.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline mrclose

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:53:34 pm »
Trump could have "ordered" Comey to drop any investigation on anyone or anything and that would have been his Right under the Constitutional Law given to a sitting President!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 12:00:34 am »
There are no real "grounds" for impeachment, because it is not a criminal charge. It is a purely political act and, literally, anything can be cited as the cause of action...the charge could be "failing to trim his toenails" for example. In legal terms, it is VERY true that the president cannot commit the crime of obstruction nor collusion. Those terms can be tossed into an impeachment article, but so could "swiss cheese" or "bananas". It is not a legal case that is made, but rather, a political one.

Yep its a political strategy. They're planning on running campaigns on this. In the meantime, if the "investigation" prevents the president from pursuing his agenda so much the better.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 12:06:05 am »
Trump could have "ordered" Comey to drop any investigation on anyone or anything and that would have been his Right under the Constitutional Law given to a sitting President!

No.  The correct thing to do would have been sending Melania to Phoenix for a tarmac meeting with Sessions to discuss golf and kids.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:06:25 am by edpc »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:15 am »
No.  The correct thing to do would have been sending Melania to Phoenix for a tarmac meeting with Sessions to discuss golf and kids.

I have everyone on ignore. When someone mentions me Myst calls and leaves a message with the post title, number and gist of the comment. Then I break into action.

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 12:40:58 am »
I have everyone on ignore. When someone mentions me Myst calls and leaves a message with the post title, number and gist of the comment. Then I break into action.

That certainly explains why the whole damn thing has gone to h3ll in a hand basket lately @Frank Cannon 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:08 am »
    That certainly explains why the whole damn thing has gone to h3ll in a hand basket lately @Frank Cannon

LOL. That post was meant for the Romney thread. I wondered what the hell happened to it. Thought it might have been yanked.

Online corbe

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:26 am »
      Dear Frank,

Knowing your experience with women, should I be overly concerned that my X old lady seems to talk, out loud, moore and moore to herself lately?

Signed

Knifeless in Texas 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:59 am »
      Dear Frank,

Knowing your experience with women, should I be overly concerned that my X old lady seems to talk, out loud, moore and moore to herself lately?

Signed

Knifeless in Texas

I know this was address to Frank, but I think a point of clarification is in order.  Is she talking to herself or muttering under her breath?

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:31 am »
   Both @RoosGirl I get up to go check and see if she has a cell phone on her head when both the dogs come running into my office with that weird look on their face. 

Signed:
   Can you help me?