Author Topic: North Korean missile broke up on re-entry, US official says  (Read 460 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
North Korean missile broke up on re-entry, US official says
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:03:18 pm »
North Korean missile broke up on re-entry, US official says
Fox News

North Korea's latest intercontinental ballistic missile did not survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere after it was tested this week, a U.S. official told Fox News Saturday.

The official added that U.S. allies are searching for the remnants of the warhead after it splashed down close to the Japanese coast Wednesday.

The news suggests that even if North Korea's latest missile, dubbed the Kwasong-15, could not make impact on U.S. soil even if it has the range to reach American shores. South Korea's Defense Ministry said Friday that the two-stage liquid-fuel missile potentially capable of striking targets as far away as 8,100 miles, which would put Washington within reach.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/02/north-korean-missile-broke-up-on-re-entry-us-official-says.html

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
Re: North Korean missile broke up on re-entry, US official says
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

That's good news, but it's probably just a matter of time until they can build one that can survive re entry.  They've made impressive progress in the past months, and it does beg the question of who is helping them.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »
That's good news, but it's probably just a matter of time until they can build one that can survive re entry.  They've made impressive progress in the past months, and it does beg the question of who is helping them.

The only thing that has to survive reentry is the war head. The missile never survives reentry.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:36:51 pm »
They certainly aren’t doing it alone hiding in caves. But given how long it took our intel folks to track down bin Laden, it’s not surprising that we haven’t broken the code yet.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy