Author Topic: Former Bosnian Croat Commander Dies After Drinking Poison in Courtroom  (Read 428 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Former Bosnian Croat Commander Dies After Drinking Poison in Courtroom

November 29, 2017 11:32 AM

VOA News

Bosnian people watch the live TV broadcast from the International Criminal Court for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague as Slobodan Praljak brings a bottle to his lips, in southern Bosnian town of Mostar 140 kms south of Sarajevo, on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017. Praljak yelled, "I am not a war criminal!" and appeared to drink from a small bottle, seconds after judges reconfirmed his 20-year prison sentence for involvement in a campaign to drive Muslims out of a would-be Bosnian Croat ministate in Bosnia in the early 1990s.

Former Bosnian Croat military commander Slobodan Praljak died Wednesday after drinking poison in a Hague courtroom shortly after a U.N. judge confirmed his 20-year sentence for war crimes against Bosnian Muslims, according to Croatia's state-run news agency.

Dutch law enforcement authorities declared the courtroom at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia a crime scene after Praljak drank from a container and yelled, "I am not a war criminal."

After the presiding judge suspended the hearing and called for medical treatment, paramedics who were at the building entered the courtroom. A court guard said Praljak was treated for more than hour after the defendant said he drank poison.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/former-bosnian-croat-military-commander-dies-after-drinking-poison-in-a-hauge-courtroom/4141844.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Former Bosnian Croat Commander Dies After Drinking Poison in Courtroom
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:10 am »
I don't consider him to be a war criminal, either.

He was doing what -- sooner or later -- ALL of Europe will have to do, if it wishes to REMAIN "Europe" ...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:19:51 am »
In the 1990s, I read a book by Ed Vulliamy on the war in the Balkans. Interestingly, I found an article on him commenting on this Slobadan Praljak:
UK’s Vulliamy Recalls Encounters with Belligerent Praljak
Marcus Tanner

One of Britain’s most respected reporters on the Balkan wars of the 1990s has recalled his two encounters, in court and out, with Slobodan Praljak, the war criminal who committed suicide at the Hague Tribunal.

Ed Vulliamy, the British Guardian journalist best known in the Balkans for having revealed the horrors of the Bosnian Serb-run camps in north-west Bosnia, has recalled his meeting – or rather, interrogation by – Slobodan Praljak in court in 2006, some 13 years after having first met him at the headquarters of the Bosnian Croat statelet known as Herzeg-Bosnia.

Vulliamy recalled a feeling of surprise in September 1993 when Praljak, in his capacity as a leader of the Bosnian Croat Croatian Defence Council, HVO, signed an order allowing him entry to the notorious HVO-run camp at Dretelj near Mostar.

Read more at: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/uk-s-vulliamy-recalls-encounters-with-belligerent-praljak-11-30-2017

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:54 am »
I've never read any journalist or anyone official say this but this one lady use to tell me that if Nato and the US did not intervene in the FYR, Former Yugoslavian Republic during those wars, Turkey was going to get involved.