Author Topic: Andrew Jackson was called ‘Indian killer.’ Trump honored Navajos in front of his portrait.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Andrew Jackson was called ‘Indian killer.’ Trump honored Navajos in front of his portrait.
By Eli Rosenberg November 28 at 12:01 AM

The prominent placement of an Andrew Jackson portrait during an event meant to honor a group of Native Americans at the Oval Office on Monday has raised questions about the White House’s message.

Jackson is known for his harsh treatment of Native Americans as president, famously signing the Indian Removal Act, which led to thousands of Native American deaths as tens of thousands were forced to relocate. Some observers thought the juxtaposition of his portrait during the event with the stated purpose of honoring three Navajo code talkers was strange.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/11/28/andrew-jackson-was-called-indian-killer-trump-honored-navajos-in-front-of-his-portrait/?utm_term=.1b6b0d0f156d
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
My great-grandmother was Cherokee, and I'm not offended. But my skin is white, so I understand to the liberals as a second class citizen in the leftist caste sytem, my opinion means little.

People that live their lives as courtesan drama queens in the world of symbology, get lost in stuff like this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This was a little tone deaf.  But, not nearly as much as sending a bust of Churchill back to the Brits.

Offline RoosGirl

If only this was the worst faux pas of the day.  Instead, Trump had to bring up the Warren chick.

Offline Frank Cannon

People that live their lives as courtesan drama queens in the world of symbology, get lost in stuff like this.

Pipe down pal. Without that, we wouldn't have a site.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

You are so right! I must apologize to Myst at once for trying to sabotage the forum.  :smokin:
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
This was a little tone deaf.  But, not nearly as much as sending a bust of Churchill back to the Brits.

Probably 90% of our population doesn't even know who was, let alone be able to identify his picture.     Perhaps it was the  only room open.  Perhaps it was to symbolize how much has changed. 

Or perhaps nobody really gives a rats ass and just appreciates that these guys were honored in the white house.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If only this was the worst faux pas of the day.  Instead, Trump had to bring up the Warren chick.
He did it to solicit the response from her.  It worked, and the more she pounds her anger, the better she is on display for who she really is.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
He did it to solicit the response from her.  It worked, and the more she pounds her anger, the better she is on display for who she really is.

And the less chance she has in 2020.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

At a completely inappropriate setting to pull that kind of nonsense.

Offline Suppressed

At a completely inappropriate setting to pull that kind of nonsense.

@RoosGirl

Exactly.  Making it about himself and Senator Warren instead of the wonderful heroes...

...is disgusting.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
My great-grandmother was Cherokee, and I'm not offended. But my skin is white, so I understand to the liberals as a second class citizen in the leftist caste sytem, my opinion means little.

Amen to that.  Whatever one believes about Jackson, the fact that his portrait was in the room was certainly not intended as any kind of symbolism.

But, let's face it, they are wearing out the barrel by scratching its bottom to find any little lame tidbit that would discredit Trump.

And it's pretty dam sickening.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

We would have a site.  It just wouldn't be as contentious and satisfying to some people.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Probably 90% of our population doesn't even know who was, let alone be able to identify his picture.     Perhaps it was the  only room open.  Perhaps it was to symbolize how much has changed. 

Or perhaps nobody really gives a rats ass and just appreciates that these guys were honored in the white house.

I think he did it under Jackson't portrait to make this a bipartisan affair.   88devil
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:13:30 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

We would have a site.  It just wouldn't be as contentious and satisfying to some people.

In other words, "boring".

Offline NavyCanDo

If Trump had to ask General Kelly what the Code Talkers did to deserve this level of recognition, I doubt he knows enough history on Jackson to understand why this was a poor venue.

I heard him comment on Jackson before and it seems what he admires most about him and why he seems to be his favorite president was because Andrew Jackson was a very stubborn man and usually had to have it his way for anything to happen at all, and he believed in the great expansion of the powers of the presidency.   Yea, that sounds like trump. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In other words, "boring".

Nah ... 300 repetitive pages on Judge Moore and another 500 equally repetitive pages on the President's tweets have cornered the market on "boring".

But the noisy folks seem to be okay with this.   :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

Listen lady. Without the never ending bickering and fighting there would be close to no posting here. Hell, if it wasn't for the "Grab Ass Crew" hijacking threads and joking around this place would be like Beirut circa 1983.

Offline RoosGirl

If Trump had to ask General Kelly what the Code Talkers did to deserve this level of recognition, I doubt he knows enough history on Jackson to understand why this was a poor venue.

I heard him comment on Jackson before and it seems what he admires most about him and why he seems to be his favorite president was because Andrew Jackson was a very stubborn man and usually had to have it his way for anything to happen at all, and he believed in the great expansion of the powers of the presidency.   Yea, that sounds like trump.

I doubt Trump had anything to do with picking what room they were in.  This was something someone within the administration did to give the pot a subtle stir.

Offline RoosGirl

Nah ... 300 repetitive pages on Judge Moore and another 500 equally repetitive pages on the President's tweets have cornered the market on "boring".

And then there are those that think we should all be pleasuring ourselves to the glorious visions of Melania.

Offline Frank Cannon

And then there are those that think we should all be pleasuring ourselves to the glorious visions of Melania.

So that isn't mandatory? I have been dutifully doing that already.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The tolerance of subjects you seem to find boring is not infinite.  @mystery-ak shut down a 400-post Moore thread last night with a clink of the wine glasses because people started quoting bible verses at each other, which is a sure-fire way to get management on your back.  But before that happened, there were over 400 posts.

My point?  Not everybody finds the same things boring that you do.  "Noisy People," as you call them, have as much right to discussion as you do, even if it bores somebody who is not the owner of the Forum.  Deal with it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

So that isn't mandatory? I have been dutifully doing that already.

I have no doubt about that.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Stay classy.   :smokin:

Offline mountaineer

Jackson is considered the father of the Democrat Party, too.
Whatever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org