Author Topic: NAACP calls for ‘state of emergency’ to close achievement gap in SF schools  (Read 837 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

NAACP calls for ‘state of emergency’ to close achievement gap in SF schools
San Francisco Chronicle, Nov 25, 2017, Jenna Lyons

Despite years of targeted programs, San Francisco district schools have failed to close an achievement gap in which black students lag behind their peers and fall short of state learning standards.

The gap has persisted for a quarter century, even as scores across all ethnic subgroups have risen, according to a report to the school board by Superintendent Vincent Matthews. As educators prepare to implement new fixes, the San Francisco NAACP is calling for the district to declare a state of emergency.

Matthews, the second black schools superintendent in San Francisco history, underlined one sentence in his report that critics say sounds all too familiar: “The district needs to develop specific strategies to address the outcomes for African American students.”

Read more: http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/NAACP-calls-for-state-of-emergency-to-close-12382702.php?cmpid=gsa-sfgate-result

Online Right_in_Virginia

“The district needs to develop specific strategies to address the outcomes for African American students.”

I can think of one off the top of my head .... commitment to education is not "acting white".

Offline Frank Cannon

I was going to suggest that maybe they should get the parents involved.....but then I reread which students are having trouble and realized they are wards of the state.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
It's for the children.  Disenfranchised African American youths and their Undocumented Brown Brothers just need a hand up. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
So  can we have a progress report?

How have 50 plus years of Affirmative Action worked out?

How have 50 plus years of Govt. housing worked? (Sect. 8 etc.)
How have 50 plus years of school lunches worked out?
How have 50 plus years of free lunched worked out?
How have 50 years of preferences worked out?

How have 50 plus years of testing procedures, methods, adjustments worked out?

"Why can't Jamal read, after all that govt. meddling?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

It's for the children.  Disenfranchised African American youths and their Undocumented Brown Brothers just need a hand up.

Well, where I live, there are a myriad of educational programs for young people.  Heck, the schools even feed the kids 3 times a day.  Yet my local district has a high dropout rate and those who do graduate can't read or write or do even the simplest math. 

You can have all kinds of tutoring and special programs, but there is only so much a school can do. Most of these kids have "parents" (I use that word loosely) who do absolutely nothing to ensure their kids learn.  When I was little, my parents read to me.  They encouraged reading.  They bought encyclopedias (no internet back then).  They made me do my homework and if I was stuck, they helped me.  They attended every parent/teacher conference and if there was a problem, my folks worked with the school to rectify it. 

Today's parents are absent or just don't care, or they think the job of raising their kids belongs to the state.  Whatever the reason, the child's education is neglected and the kid is destined to continue the cycle of poverty, crime, unwed parenthood and drugs. If the parents don't want their children to be losers in life, they have to take responsibility for them. No one else can properly raise their children for them.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Emergency v. no emergency -- makes no difference.
Culture -- can only help so much (a limited amount).
What really matters:

Until someone can fix this -- $trillions spent will not help.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:10:54 pm by Fishrrman »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
When you have attitudes like 'Why you reading and studying and acting all white? Uppity Negro, please!,' and 'Job? I ain't gonna get no job! I can make 20X that living the thug life! Full time is fool time!,' you are going to have a hard time closing the achievement gap.
The Republic is lost.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
What really matters:

You can't fix stupid. But they will give it a shot. IA--Intelligence Augmentation. Chipped brains. Connected to an AI--Artificial Intelligence.

But there will still be that inequality. And I say monstrous inequality. The ones able to buy the next, best wetware. And the ones who won't.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Unfortunately the only practical way to remedy inequality is to dumb everything down to a point where even the best students aren't learning anything worthwhile. Offering more and better learning opportunities only widens the gap...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline RoosGirl

What really matters:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C9-3fvlG5_Q/T5eRnflxkOI/AAAAAAAAAaU/pVKqnvo2tFM/s1600/bell%2Bcurve.jpg

I can fix it a little bit.  That graph is made with bogus, normalized data to make it look like the same number of black people were included in the sampling as white people.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What really matters:

Can you answer something for me?  I've been known to play with statistics once in a while, and something confuses me...why does that chart show a larger population of black people than white people, when black people are only about 13% of our total population?  Doesn't your histogram distort the findings the studies?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

I can fix it a little bit.  That graph is made with bogus, normalized data to make it look like the same number of black people were included in the sampling as white people.

I believe this graph will clarify things for you....

Offline RoosGirl

That graph is more honest than the one posted above!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:30:11 am by RoosGirl »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Is the Y-Axis a Logarithmic scale?  The quantity between "Plenty" and "Lots" is smaller than between "Lots" and "Tons."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: